Why would I want to swing like Tiger instead of like Justin Rose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a funny way to phrase this point: Justin and Tiger both work with the same teacher and yet Tiger looks like he goes through a few more gyrations to hit the ball than Justin.

From the top Tiger seems to:

1. Squat a lot more than Justin
2. Flattens the club more
3. And because of the flattening seems to have to use his hands/wrists more to square the club at impact
4. Raises out of his squat at impact

It sure seems to me that Justin Rose's swing is much simpler. Is that what the pros see or am I missing something?

Hard to argue with your observations. And they do suggest the coach's forcus is outcomes and not dogma. That is surely a strength.

Two differently wound athletes. While Justin has a fundamental quietness about his swing (not 'offending the shaft' much), Tiger harnesses more more torque from his squat and jump. And his legend has been actually built between the 150-250 range, according to Shotlink stats.Hogan, Nicklaus, Trevino...squatters, flatteners, etc...not all that "simple" looking. "Simple" can be misleading.

Two differently wound athletes. While Justin has a fundamental quietness about his swing (not 'offending the shaft' much), Tiger harnesses more more torque from his squat and jump. And his legend has been actually built between the 150-250 range, according to Shotlink stats.Hogan, Nicklaus, Trevino...squatters, flatteners, etc...not all that "simple" looking. "Simple" can be misleading.

Not sure Nicklaus was a squatter (especially since one of the Jack Grout drills he talks about involved Grout holding his head while he swung) but it seems the successful squatters have to be world class ball beaters. I'll bet Hogan, Trevino and Woods are among the hardest workers ever in golf. I'll bet they have to be to keep the timing needed to be a squatter/flattener. It just seems that every time I watch Woods he's fighting being underplane coming down and then he does that right shoulder way around flat follow through to try and save the shot. Maybe he would have always fought that tendency even if he had stayed with Harmon but sometimes he sure looks like he has a few too many moving parts. Rose's swing looks so simple...sort of how Tiger looked back when he was with Harmon.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Tiger didn't use to do that as much, no?

ej20

New
Sort of a funny way to phrase this point: Justin and Tiger both work with the same teacher and yet Tiger looks like he goes through a few more gyrations to hit the ball than Justin.

From the top Tiger seems to:

1. Squat a lot more than Justin
2. Flattens the club more
3. And because of the flattening seems to have to use his hands/wrists more to square the club at impact
4. Raises out of his squat at impact

It sure seems to me that Justin Rose's swing is much simpler. Is that what the pros see or am I missing something?
I would argue that Rose flattens at the top more than Tiger.Tiger has always been a little steep in transition and all of his swing changes have not changed that.If he wants to really swing it like Hogan he has to get the club flatter by the time his hands are at shoulder height in the downswing.This will allow him to tumble it without getting too steep.

Technically Rose it better.Tiger just has out of this world talent.

to have a swing that looks like justin rose's, sans the little hitchy takeaway, that hits the ball and makes a sound like tiger's shots, and have the wedge play and putting of tiger when he's dialed...that's the ideal.

i really think all of the lashing about tiger does is simply trying to hit it hard. he doesn't flail about when he's on the range hitting stock shots. at least not any of the footage i see.

I read Haney's book on Tiger.

He says (and I believe him) that Tiger is a swing-tinkerer who has loads of different ideas about the swing and likes to try them out.

On the course, I think he sometimes comes up with hare-brained miracle-shot schemes to shape the ball etc, and attempts them.

Sometimes they work (Tiger's a genius!), sometimes they don't (Tiger's a bum!).

He is closer to a hacker in mentality (both on an off the course) than we ever would have thought five years ago.

He just happens to have a supernatural gift for turning average-hacker thinking into supersonic scoring....

ej20

New
Laying off and tumbling to create whip and lag is not the only way to play golf.There is also the upright Nicklaus/Johnny Miller model where a slightly steep club in transition is acceptable.The trick with this swing is to make a full hip and shoulder turn and then keep your back facing the target a split second on the downswing to allow room to swing from the inside.

Tigers original swing was this type and in hindsight perhaps he should have stuck with it.Jack was a better ballstriker than most people think and upright swings seems out of favour currently for no good reason.There is less arm rotation with upright swings and this suits some players.

Erik_K

New
Rose's swing certainly looks like it is easy on the joints and very efficient. When it's all said and done we know that Tiger's career and Justin's career won't be mentioned in the same sentence. But it's probably not fair to copy a swing solely on another player's results. There's a LOT to like about Justin's swing.

He says (and I believe him) that Tiger is a swing-tinkerer who has loads of different ideas about the swing and likes to try them out.

On the course, I think he sometimes comes up with hare-brained miracle-shot schemes to shape the ball etc, and attempts them.

He is closer to a hacker in mentality (both on an off the course) than we ever would have thought five years ago.

He just happens to have a supernatural gift for turning average-hacker thinking into supersonic scoring....
\

Great post! I never thought about Tiger that way, but I believe you're correct.

I love the fact that Tiger says screw the course, I'm going to beat it anyway. He is that good.

I've not read the book. However, as another INTP type, this doesn't surprise me about him AT ALL...What continues to surprise me is his need for a coach. I guess I just want to believe he could figure more out on his own. He has been in the fourth quarter of chasing Jack's # for a while now. Maybe it's time he stopped looking for help on how to get there and just go DIY. If he never tries to do it alone, his way, I think he may regret it someday.

I've not read the book. However, as another INTP type, this doesn't surprise me about him AT ALL...What continues to surprise me is his need for a coach. I guess I just want to believe he could figure more out on his own. He has been in the fourth quarter of chasing Jack's # for a while now. Maybe it's time he stopped looking for help on how to get there and just go DIY. If he never tries to do it alone, his way, I think he may regret it someday.

I strongly believe he needs a swing philosophy to ground him. I don't care what it is. Simpler would be better. His current driver swing is embarassing. It would be kind of amusing if he sat down for a month and simply copied a simple swing like Caberas or Peter Seniors. Which is sad because his iron play and short game is still strong. I would love for him to win another major, but it likely won't be the US Open. The Masters and the British suit him better.

Status
Not open for further replies.