winter drills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayro1

New
I just came in from hitting some balls, it's 30* out with a 20mph wind and calling for snow tonight. Got me to thinking about what kind of winter time drills I could be doing. Any good programs out there?

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Two table tennis bats maintaing those flying wedges, or use a salt and pepper shaker and work on aiming that release just like Ben does with the sand in a water bottle. LOOK LOOK LOOK! There is a lot of learning you can do in your armchair.

Mirrors. Get in the gym and do core training. Practice putting. Visualize yourself playing superbly. Lose a little weight if you need to.

My friend, Joe O'Neill (who is one of Ben's longtime students), had a grandfather who never broke 80. He practiced in his cellar one winter and watched Bobby Jones films and tried to copy it in the mirror. First round out--81. Next round--68! True story.

quote:Originally posted by billmckinneygolf

My friend, Joe O'Neill (who is one of Ben's longtime students), had a grandfather who never broke 80. He practiced in his cellar one winter and watched Bobby Jones films and tried to copy it in the mirror. First round out--81. Next round--68! True story.

http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/jones.htm

Jones is "looking down the shaft" in the first frame past impact.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

http://www.golfswing.com/proswings/jones.htm

Jones is "looking down the shaft" in the first frame past impact.

Joe,

Thanks for posting that . . . pretty cool! Seen those videos but kinda forgot about them. Can you say SEQUENCED RELEASE???

What does "looking down the shaft" mean/imply? I've heard this mentioned before, but I'm clueless.

Thanks again!

R

Look at the 1st frame past impact - Jones is looking directly down the shaft as if aiming a rifle. This is a phrase used by Ben Doyle and something he considers a fault. Ben wants the hands to be visually well ahead of clubhead at that point.

EdZ

New
Watching Jones and his Rhythm will help any swinger.

Proper "swinging force", proper Rhythm, can make up for a lot of mistakes in the motion. Learn to 'let the club swing' like Jones (Ernest or Bobby) and you'll be surprised by the effortless power that results. Too many people 'try' to move the club, instead of 'flowing with the swinging force'.

Dowel drills:
Learn how to set Right Forearm Flying Wedge on Horizontal Plane, then bring it onto Inclined Plane.
Learn how to set Right Forearm Angle of Approach. And then take it straight up the Inclined Plane and back down.
Use dowels to practice getting Right Shoulder moving downplane during Startdown.
Use dowels to practice finish swivel with Flat Left Wrist using left arm only.
Look, look, LOOK!

Impact bag drills:
Practice release motion using dowel and impact bag with left/right arm only while ensuring Flying Wedges mainted.
Make sure bag doesn't topple over. It should slide along the ground.
Keep hitting bag until it's well ahead of left foot so you can train having your Left Wrist Flat well beyond Impact.
Look, look, LOOK!

Racquet drills:
These drills train Clubface motion. Your Left Wrist should always mirror your clubface, so monitor Clubface via the Left Wrist only once alignments has been programmed.
Practice all three Hinge Actions on their Basic Planes -- they all have a no roll feel.
Then practice all three Hinge Action on the Inclined Plane and keep moving back and forth between the Inclined Plane and Basic Plane for each one.
Practice Startup Swivel and Sequnced Release if you're Swinger, and Simultaneous Release if you're Hitter.
Look, look, LOOK!

Lag pressure drills:
Drag a mop from Release to Follow Through using your Pivot. Keep sensing heavy sensation on Pressure Point #3 and #4. Hands are always aiming and sensing. Wrap a few towels around clubhead if you don't have mop.
Hit chips on carpet with Right Forefinger extended and off the clubshaft, and make sure pressure of shaft remains on forefinger all the way to follow through.

Pivot drill:
Learn to turn pivot without arms (e.g. behind back) and look at mirror to make sure all components look in sync and correct. Ensure a full, free-flowing turn in both directions. Confirm Hip Slide, sit down position, load your feet, right shoulder on plane at startdown, reasonably stable head. Good Pivot is essential for good golf -- educated hands can only compensate for a bad pivot up to a certain point.
Look, look, LOOK!

Centrifugal force drills:
Learn how to swing a towel or rope. Try to knock down an object (e.g. golf bag) using just a rope. This teaches you not to use your hands and arms to hit the ball, instead, let the pivot to do the work. Also imagine your arms being part of the rope.

You must work on drills that improve both the Geometry and Physics of your stroke. What I have given above contains a good mix. Contrary to what some may say, good Physics does not guarantee proper Geometry. You have to teach yourself the Flying Wedges, Hinge Action, etc. Work on both to fulfill your potential.

(Note: this post is biased towards the Swinger!)

I look in the reflection in a door in my garage all the time.....enough ceiling height to swing in there too (most of the time....there's a few dents ;)).

Always goin in there to contemplate new things....and just to keep friendly with the feel of swinging a club.....satisfies the urge.

rundmc

Banned
quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

Dowel drills:
Learn how to set Right Forearm Flying Wedge on Horizontal Plane, then bring it onto Inclined Plane.
Learn how to set Right Forearm Angle of Approach. And then take it straight up the Inclined Plane and back down.
Use dowels to practice getting Right Shoulder moving downplane during Startdown.
Look, look, LOOK!

Impact bag drills:
Practice release motion using dowel and impact bag with left/right arm only while ensuring Flying Wedges mainted.
Keep hitting bag until it's well ahead of left foot so you can train having your Left Wrist Flat well beyond Impact.
Look, look, LOOK!

Racquet drills:
These drills train Clubace motion. Your Left Wrist should always mirror your clubface, so monitor Clubface via the Left Wrist only once alignments has been programmed.
Practice all three Hinge Actions on their Basic Planes -- they all have a no roll feel.
Then practice all three Hinge Action on the Inclined Plane and keep moving back and forth between the Inclined Plane and Basic Plane for each one.
Practice Startup Swivel and Sequnced Release if you're Swinger, and Simultaneous Release if you're Hitter.
Look, look, LOOK!

Lag pressure drills:
Drag a mop from Release to Follow Through using your Pivot. Keep sensing heavy sensation on Pressure Point #3 and #4. Hands are always aiming and sensing. Wrap a few towels around clubhead if you don't have mop.
Hit chips on carpet with Right Forefinger extended and off the clubshaft, and make sure pressure of shaft remains on forefinger all the way to follow through.

Pivot drill:
Learn to turn pivot without arms (e.g. behind back) and look at mirror to make sure all components look in sync and correct. Ensure a full, free-flowing turn in both directions. Confirm Hip Slide, sit down position, load your feet, right shoulder on plane at startdown, reasonably stable head. Good Pivot is essential for good golf -- educated hands can only compensate for a bad pivot up to a certain point.
Look, look, LOOK!

Learn how to swing a towel or rope. Try to knock down an object (e.g. golf bag) using just a rope. This teaches you not to use your hands and arms to hit the ball, instead, let the pivot to do the work. Also imagine your arms being part of the rope.

You must work on drills that improve both the Geometry and Physics of your stroke. What I have given above contains a good mix. Contrary to what some may say, good Physics does not guarantee proper Geometry. You have to teach yourself the Flying Wedges, Hinge Action, etc. Work on both to fulfill your potential.

This has to be in the Top 5 best posts ever written. We can talk theory and whether Mr. K's book is flawed . . . yada yada yada. But at some point it comes down to EXECUTION. When you're standing on the 2nd tee after 3 jackin' the 1st green, you're not taking a science test. Pre-form what is outlined above and you WILL get better. Period end of story. Also notice that you don't even need a ball and for the most part not even a club.

Tong . . . You need your own website dude.

Ya good stuff Leo. I didn't read it at first lol....too tired and lazy.

But now I did....

Very rooted in TGM obviously.....but less technical.

2 thumbs up buddy.

Erik_K

New
quote:Originally posted by tongzilla

Dowel drills:
Look, look, LOOK!

Impact bag drills:
Look, look, LOOK!

Racquet drills:
These drills train Clubface motion. Your Left Wrist should always mirror your clubface, so monitor Clubface via the Left Wrist only once alignments has been programmed.
Look, look, LOOK!

Lag pressure drills:

Pivot drill:
Look, look, LOOK!

This is one of the most lucid posts ever and these drills should be a part of everyone's routine regardless of weather.

rwh

New
quote:Originally posted by rundmc
What does "looking down the shaft" mean/imply? I've heard this mentioned before, but I'm clueless.

Thanks again!

R

The "flat left wrist" means that the clubshaft and the left arm are in a straight line. If you are "looking down the shaft" just after impact, the clubshaft is in line with the right arm -- i.e., you have bent the left wrist and flattened the right wrist.

hue

New

Get in the gym and do core training.
Bill can you go into your workout suggestions. I have been going to the gym 3 times a week but my average SS is only 105 MPH and I can only get it up to 110 MPH Max out. I would like another 10 MPH. By "Core" do you mean abs and mid section?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
everyone always says "core" but it's a word that has different meanings to every trainer.

To me, core is from the mid back down to the upper legs.

-----------------

Also, getting stronger won't necessarily increase your swing speed. It will some but you have to train in similar movements to create more speed. To be honest, the speed stik works. Also, a medicine ball with hand attachments works as well. You swing the ball like you would a golf club.

I was doing that for a while and booooooooooooy did i feel muscles used i wasn't used to using. Helped my golf swing a bunch.

Burner

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

Get in the gym and do core training.
Bill can you go into your workout suggestions. I have been going to the gym 3 times a week but my average SS is only 105 MPH and I can only get it up to 110 MPH Max out. I would like another 10 MPH. By "Core" do you mean abs and mid section?
John,
I am not too sure that the mid-body (core) revolves far enough or quickly enough to add any appreciable speed. The rotation is also on a different plane to the swinging arms/club. Additionally, the more you bulk up the less flexible and speedy your body would become. Think Des Terblanche!:)

Work on your left hand, backhand tennis shot if you are a swinger, as in your case, or your right hand forehand shot if you are a hitter.

Its not insignificant that tennis player's raquet arms are more muscular than the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.