womens swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions, do women tend to stay on the insides of there feet more in the swing, like nickalous talks about, and if the answer is yes then what would you attribute that to?

I have two questions, do women tend to stay on the insides of there feet more in the swing, like nickalous talks about, and if the answer is yes then what would you attribute that to?

Women have heavier hipbones in comparison with men..perhaps they need to stay inside to control them..

Their hips and legs are constructed in view of their potential for giving birth, hence with a different pelvic width. I would think it has more to do with shape (wide hips) than weight. It is simply THEIR natural pivot / leg / mid-body movement.

I have a dog built funny. He walks "sideways". It's natural for him.

Different bodies regardless of gender behave in response to the laws of physics, so their dimensions and range of motion dictate the different appearance of "the same things" that someone else does.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think it was Laura Diaz who said she never played better than when she was about 5-7 months pregnant. Her center of gravity was fantastic.

I agree with the comment about the hipbones. Those "birthing hips" provide a lot of stability in the middle of the body.

Ah I think I see what u mean s4p...

I looked at this thread at first and was a little puzzled....

But then I got the image of Mickey Wright in my mind....and ya as I remember I think she does have a bit of that look.

I think it was Laura Diaz who said she never played better than when she was about 5-7 months pregnant. Her center of gravity was fantastic.

I agree with the comment about the hipbones. Those "birthing hips" provide a lot of stability in the middle of the body.

Plus they make for a nice sexy hour glass figure.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
well if that was it then wouldnt shorter people be the same?

Short males don't have the "hourglass" hip look, they are straight up and down. This extra width in the hips in females gives added stability.

As an aside,

An old myth in golf was that tall people generally couldn't play (there were exceptions of course, Archer comes to mind), it was believed for a long time that the ideal height for golf was 5'9" - 5'10''.

Last edited:
Short males don't have the "hourglass" hip look, they are straight up and down. This extra width in the hips in females gives added stability.

As an aside,

An old myth in golf was that tall people generally couldn't play (there were exceptions of course, Archer comes to mind), it was believed for a long time that the ideal height for golf was 5'9" - 5'10''.

I believe that taller people are probably at a disadvantage, in terms of balance, because of their higher centers of gravity, generally speaking. If you look at the best players in history, including today, the majority of them aren't very much above average height. Sure, the average height of the best players is greater than, say, 50 years ago. But so is the average height of the general population.

The requirement for taller golfers of deeper angles in the legs and spine was what was worrying everbody back in those days...........could their legs last?

I am 6'4" and most of the length is in my legs, so my c/g is HIGH !! When I mishit it is usually traceable to my balance: my failure to "wait for the tower to stop rocking" before takeaway. And that takes more time than you might think...

Last edited:
doing some experimenting here
If I stand at hip width and turn both my feet inwards and then turn back in the backswing while TRYING to sway, I feel a lot of muscle tension on the inside of my right leg, and have a hard time swaying and getting the weight on the outside of my right foot. if I turn both feet outward and try to do the same then the majority of muscle tension is on the outside of the legs and I can sway very easily

Erik_K

New
doing some experimenting here
If I stand at hip width and turn both my feet inwards and then turn back in the backswing while TRYING to sway, I feel a lot of muscle tension on the inside of my right leg, and have a hard time swaying and getting the weight on the outside of my right foot. if I turn both feet outward and try to do the same then the majority of muscle tension is on the outside of the legs and I can sway very easily

Neil,

If we have time, we can mess with this stuff before meeting with Brian this afternoon. I am intrigued with your ideas per our discussion the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.