Worst lesson you ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago, long before I bought my little yellow book, I had a few lessons from the teaching pro at a public course. At one low point, he saw me on the range and came over for an impromptu lesson. I started asking him questions about the golf swing. He said, "Joe, you're too smart to play golf", and walked off.

Can anyone top this one?

holenone

Banned
I was hitting the ball fat a lot and went to a local pro. He watched me hit a few fat ones and he gave me a couple of tips. When those didn't work, he said, "Maybe your arms are too long." Lesson over!

This is the God's truth.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Oh man! I'm in 2nd place so far.

Maybe a tie ! :D Watch out for smart guys with long arms, hahaha.

Me? Not a lesson but I felt ripped off when I got a Ballard tape on Ebay a few years back.

I took some lessons from one of the typical driving range pros. Actually I had three lessons with him. Things where looking really good, then all of a sudden I started hitting dead pull hooks. This was right after the third lesson. He was walking along the teeing line and stopped to talk to me. I told him of my problems and he said, "Hit a few and lets see what is going on." His recommendation was to rotate the club more open on the backswing that I was closing it down at impact. Well, from there it was one bad thing after another and then i wound up with this horrid chicken wing to keep from closing the cubface at impact. All along the problem was simply that i was coming OTT with the clubface rotating as it should. The chicken wing developed subconciously to keep from hitting the pull hook. Bought a series of 6 lessons from another driving range pro and he skipped town after the first lesson. Probably a good thing judging by how the first lesson went. The first guy I ever took lessons from had me hitting a wedge as good as anyone but i couldnt hit anything below a 7 iron. He closed up his driving range office shortly after a couple of jealous husbands approached him about 'lessons' he was giving their wives. Lets see, then there was the lesson my wife bought me for Christmas one year. By the end of that lesson this driving range pro had my feet lined up ten yards right of the target and my shoulders about 5 yards left of the target. Yeah, I've had some doozies. That is why I am so thrilled to have stumbled upon Redgoat. Amazingly enough, someone who is in California and view video I email from Texas and he can get my swing straightened out in a manner of a few emails. He's either going to have to flat out move to Dalls/Fort Worth Texas, or I will have to move out to California. I dont know, I love Fort Worth but it gets awfully hot here in the Summer. Plus, he did mention something about beautiful girls and a beach......I might have to put in for a transfer at work. :D

Not the worst lesson I ever had, but something that has been done by many pros, good and bad, that I hate is when the guy comes up behind me, wraps his arms around my body, his nether-regions pressed too close to my caboose for comfort, his breath stinking real bad, his mouth too close to my ear for comfort (if a cop rides by and doesn't see a club in my hands, we're both arrested), he grabs the club while my hands are on it, I have no idea what he is fixing to show me or where the club is going, and then he says's, "man, your holding the club way too tight" as the grip melts between my fingers.

I had a few lessons from a guy once who seemed to give completely contradictory advice on each visit. Each lesson was like the first, and the guy had no clue what we had worked on the last time I was there. This really got me thinking: Shouldn't a golf pro who is serious about his business take notes on each student and review them before the next lesson with the student, just so he has an idea what was covered before? Or at least do like on other teacher I had, make notes on things to work on for the student to take with him. At least that way I could have given the guy his own notes and said "That is not what you told me last time." Either way, I do not want to take lessons from a guy like that again anyway.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I once took a lesson from a guy who didn't watch me hit a shot, did a dance with me for 45 min, then had me hit my 5 iron 30 feet high and 150 and said that was perfect.

...Too bad, cause before the lesson it was 50 foot high and 175...

Status
Not open for further replies.