Wrist motion / arm rotation / left wrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to give chapter and verse on left shoulder, left arm rotation, left wrist look and feel?

If I put my left arm out straight in front of me and put the wrist into a fully uncocked position, and then rotate my arm from the shoulder to the left, I am guaranteed to have a near 90 degree angle in the wrist.

That's if I retain that fully unc*cked position in the wrist.

NB I have not acively tried to 'bend' the wrist in any way, but it clearly has a huge bend in it.

Should players be looking for 'natural' wrist motion (good left arm rotation, wrist c*ck) or actively going for that 'palm against the wall'?

art

New
Anyone want to give chapter and verse on left shoulder, left arm rotation, left wrist look and feel?

If I put my left arm out straight in front of me and put the wrist into a fully uncocked position, and then rotate my arm from the shoulder to the left, I am guaranteed to have a near 90 degree angle in the wrist.

That's if I retain that fully unc*cked position in the wrist.

NB I have not acively tried to 'bend' the wrist in any way, but it clearly has a huge bend in it.

Should players be looking for 'natural' wrist motion (good left arm rotation, wrist c*ck) or actively going for that 'palm against the wall'?

Dear BrendanC,

Just a few science-based thoughts to get this thread started.

In an inquiry from Brian several months ago, regarding how the club head velocity was affected by various parts of the body, I replied that a bunch of it came from the lead shoulder complex, arm and wrist. I was not, and still am not a fan of a lot of rrear arm and wrist activity/force/rotation, ESPECIALLY FOR AMATEURS. I prefer the rear side contribution be ADDED to the golfers lessons and swing, proportional to their ability to add it WITHOUT ADDING PATH AND/OR POSITION ERRORS.

So, in answer to your question, I see the ROLE of the left or lead shoulder, arm and wrist, as being CRUCIAL to the performance the golfer.

The science I have uncovered that the CONTRIBUTION TO club head velocity is a function of the range of motion of the shoulder, and the ability of the rotating arm the be powered rotationally by the axial angular positions of the upper and lower arm, which in turn, are affected by the positions of the wrist.

So, simply said, in keeping with, and IMO a great joke, "there's a pony in here someplace".

Regards,
art

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You can do a very similar experiment this way:

Normal Grip, Left arm level to the ground, full wrist cock, club 90° to the right, back of the left hand facing UP and FLAT.

Rotate arm 180° to the left so club is level to the ground.

Look at your left wrist!

I'm assuming the assumption was that the wrist would bend (dorsi). If so, how would you describe this action in scientific terms if it occurred in a golf swing?

The upper arm can roll from the shoulder socket.....but then the wrist can roll from the upper arm (pronation for RH). To see how much pronation you are using in your backswing, try this test that I devised. Take your normal grip, hold your left arm in front of you parallel to the ground, make a line with a sharpie on top of left wrist, and another in-line with it on top of your left bicep. Swing to the top, stop, and have a look at the lines. The degree that wrist line is rotated to the right of the arm line is your degree of wrist roll.

Mine is still flat. Is that normal?

OK my example works with the arm held out and the wrist held 'natural' / unmanipulated but with fingers touching palm - I'd say you will have 10-20 degrees of bend in the wrist.

If you hold it out extended and flat and rotate the arm, you might even get a little bow as you turn the arm.

With the hand a fist, or at least approx the amount of hand clench you do to hold a club, you get extra bend as you rotate.

Interesting.

Also, reading through the answers here the whole Tumble thing makes more sense.

You can do a very similar experiment this way:

Normal Grip, Left arm level to the ground, full wrist cock, club 90° to the right, back of the left hand facing UP and FLAT.

Rotate arm 180° to the left so club is level to the ground.

Look at your left wrist!

Kind of brilliant. Tells you about all you need to know about how the wrist and arm should work.

Drew

The release is of course more than just the bending of the left wrist. But as far as I know Bmanz has never defined what this bend contributes to the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.