Yellow Brick Backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any visuals or drills like the Yellow Brick Road to show proper path to the golfer through their own eyes, but for the backswing instead of the follow through?

Thank you in advance.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Not trying to be a cop out but depends on your swing and what you're trying to do. Different backswings for different folks and different ballflight tendencies. No real "proper path" for all.

Jim, thank you for the reply. You are correct, of course, about different strokes for different folks.

I fight a pop'd out, club head inside quickly and fanned open takeaway. I'd love to put some markers on the ground to help guide me to a better takeaway path.

When I try to play a draw, I hit straight pushes, slight pull draws on target, and straight-ish pulls.

When I try to play a fade, I hit baby fades on target and push fades that make it completely off the grid.

I pair the above mentioned takeaway with arm overswing at the top and a slight reverse rotation of the left arm, getting the club across the line. It comes down steep with the arms way behind the torso and a back up move to get the face on the ball. A big dash of chicken wing thrown in at the end makes for an entertaining soup.

Earlier wrist set and a backswing that stays more in front of me seems to give me a ton more room to swing the arms down as opposed to dragging them down. That is why I'm looking for a visual that I can practice without having a mirror to check the backswing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
No offense but a backswing thought isn't probably going to fix that. Sounds like you have clubface control problems which is leading to odd backswings and downswings depending on how much you fan or don't fan. It also sounds like a poor pivot. My recommendation would be to try and hit 3/4 shots where you only go back 3/4 and only go through 3/4 and try and work on the root of problem which, based on no video to go on, is poor clubface control.

duck,

I have used a couple different "Yellow Brick Road" backswings over the years. I
ll try to post a vid on it soon.

That would be great, thank you Brian.

And thank you Jim. I am working on the "backside to the wall" backswing and am seeing positive results. Instead of thinking about how to get the club into a position by bending this more or lifting that less, I am just thinking of putting the shaft between my neck and right shoulder on the backswing. The position at the top is looking miles better.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Good, like I said before as a better player as good as you get into a proper top of backswing position for you and your particular downswing everything will kind of just fall into place and you won't have to be fighting it.

So I have found the backswing much easier to get correct by moving closer to the ball at address. My setup now looks much better DTL, as well as the takeaway and top of the backswing. The arm overrun is also much better.

But man, it's going to take awhile to relearn how to get the clubhead back to the ball on the downswing!

Status
Not open for further replies.