Your bogey shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What thoughts on dealing with a pure mental block?

There's one tee shot on my home course that just gives me the fits. It looks more challenging than it really is, and I know that - but it still messes with me.

I really don't think the problem is technical - as more often than not I hit my worst shot of the round there. Today I hit my 3 worst shots of my round off that same tee!

Anyone conquered something like this, and how did you do it?

Pretend you are laying up on yer favorite Par 5. Free, easy, and SMOKED.

or

I pretend I am chipping back onto the fairway...those always go 100yds further than I want! :)

a tip from Rotella's latest book has helped me immensely. Instead of thinking 'I need to hit this pure' before a shot, instead say to yourself...

"OK, I've seen it before and I know where it's going, and no matter where it goes I'm going to accept it, go get it, and score with it, now that I know this, let's just do the routine."

It takes the pressure from your mind (where it doesn't belong) and leaves it under your feet where you can use it. ;)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
What thoughts on dealing with a pure mental block?

There's one tee shot on my home course that just gives me the fits. It looks more challenging than it really is, and I know that - but it still messes with me.

I really don't think the problem is technical - as more often than not I hit my worst shot of the round there. Today I hit my 3 worst shots of my round off that same tee!

Anyone conquered something like this, and how did you do it?

I have the exact same problem with a hole, i haven't conquered it. Sorry, i'm sure that wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I wish I could offer you some advice, but I haven't figured out how to conquer this myself. There is a par 5 that gives me fits. The worst part is, no matter what tees I'm playing, I've got a shot at reaching it in two, sometimes with as little as a short iron.

More frustrating, I have a mental block when I can see my shadow over the ball. I can't seem to keep from noticing how strange its movements seem as compared to what I actually feel that I'm doing, instead of just hitting the damn ball. Almost always slice it when I can see my shadow in front of me, directly over the ball.

I think I'm just nuts!

I would try to play when I have free reign over the hole and just go bombs away, driving range style, until I got it. This assumes you have a lot of golf balls in your bag.

Every chance you get, rinse and repeat until the shot isn't all that hard (mentally) any more. It's OK to admit a shot is a physically hard shot to pull off, but from practice it won't be so mentally draining.

Last edited:
More frustrating, I have a mental block when I can see my shadow over the ball. I can't seem to keep from noticing how strange its movements seem as compared to what I actually feel that I'm doing, instead of just hitting the damn ball. Almost always slice it when I can see my shadow in front of me, directly over the ball.

I think I'm just nuts!

I've dealt with shadow issues (with irons) for the same reasons you mentioned. Tough part is finding a way to practice it when it requires a certain time of day and particular angles. The more clearly I can see my shadow the more tempted I am to look at it. What can I say, I'm a bit of a narcissist :eek:. Find a way to lock in and see nothing but the ball, or alter your setup enough to move the shadow and then play for a big fade or draw.

I would try to play when I have free reign over the hole and just go bombs away, driving range style, until I got it. This assumes you have a lot of golf balls in your bag.

Every chance you get, rinse and repeat until the shot isn't all that hard (mentally) any more. It's OK to admit a shot is a physically hard shot to pull off, but from practice it won't be so mentally draining.

Well, if you'd seen me today, you'd have assumed that was what I was doing.:mad:

You might just be right that getting in a ton of reps in that specific situation, and knowing that I've hit 20 or 30 balls (even if that takes 60 reps) down the middle - is what it'll take.

It's maddening because deep down I know the shot's not that hard. I could have taken any other tee shot I hit today, and it wouldn't have threatened trouble on this hole.

a tip from Rotella's latest book has helped me immensely. Instead of thinking 'I need to hit this pure' before a shot, instead say to yourself...

"OK, I've seen it before and I know where it's going, and no matter where it goes I'm going to accept it, go get it, and score with it, now that I know this, let's just do the routine."

It takes the pressure from your mind (where it doesn't belong) and leaves it under your feet where you can use it. ;)

I like Inner Game stuff, and this seems similar - learning to accept whatever outcome of your shot seems a big key. My only issue is with "go get it, and score with it". That attitude works if you're facing fairway bunkers or rough - but it's much harder to put into practice if you're finding a way to penalise yourself stroke and distance.

I didn't read what others said but I'd try to hit a different club or different shot than usual

This was going to be my answer. Change the way that you play the hole; if need be, change it so radically that it's as if you are playing a different hole. Give yourself such a different shot of the tee (draw a 2 iron rather than cutting a driver, etc.), picking a different landing area and ball flight, so that the hole you have been playing isn't even there any longer.

ZAP

New
There is a short par three at the city course that I seemed to have a mental block about hitting the green. Finally I told myself that I was going to hit one more club each time I played it until I hit the green. Sadly I made it all the way to 5 iron I think before I hit the green. The hole plays all of 140 from the back tee and averages about 120. So yeah it was a baby 5 iron.:mad: Usually it is a wedge or gap wedge.

So my advice is to find a way to play the hole in a totally different way. Hit wedge off the tee or play it with only your 6 iron. Whatever it takes. If you are going to make a bad score you might as well have some fun.

Out of curiosity, how many of you who have a bogey shot or hole also have an on-course temper, or otherwise find golf quite an emotional experience?

ZAP

New
Out of curiosity, how many of you who have a bogey shot or hole also have an on-course temper, or otherwise find golf quite an emotional experience?

I would certainly say that I am not a robot on the course for sure. But to qualify golf as an emotional experience might be a bit of a reach as well.

Never had a hole I didn't think I could birdie. I mean, I have nemesis holes that piss me off, yes, but if I just have the proper attitude I can par them no problem if my putting is fine. Unless the hole is 750 yards or something I don't see a reason why I don't have a chance every time. Penick said golf doesn't usually require a spectacular shot unless the one that precedes it was awful. I really think that is true, at least from the courses I have played.

I'm just happy to be able to play when I can. But I don't like playing bad golf. Ever. If I am playing poorly, it's not because of a hard hole or a hard shot or something. It's because something is off and I'm just sucking it up to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.