Your most effective method for drawing a straight plane line!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this thread might be more about fixing the over the top swing, but of course some bend the plane line coming too much from the inside.

It would be useful if we categorized our ideas. General, (i.e. feel that #3 pressure point draws a straight line down the target-line from the top); avoiding over the top; avoiding coming too far from the inside. This will then serve as easier reference.

Matt

Last edited:
A Manzella-type answer would probably be "fix the clubface first, and the plane line will take care of itself"!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Plane lasers are my ultimate choice.

However there is danger in this that i learned through my own use of plane lasers. You can figure out how to trace a straight plane line WITH AN OFF PLANE RIGHT SHOULDER, YUCK!

So the ball goes where you're looking but with much less power lol.

So tracing that straight plane line is only half the battle, you need to be able to do that with an onplane right shoulder to see the full benefits.

jim_0068 said:
Plane lasers are my ultimate choice.

However there is danger in this that i learned through my own use of plane lasers. You can figure out how to trace a straight plane line WITH AN OFF PLANE RIGHT SHOULDER, YUCK!

So the ball goes where you're looking but with much less power lol.

So tracing that straight plane line is only half the battle, you need to be able to do that with an onplane right shoulder to see the full benefits.

Jim,

For a new guy, what would you say is the best way to monitor your right shoulder so you know IT'S tracing a straight plane line? Im sure after I meet with Brian a lot of this will be cleared up, but in the meantime I'd like to know how I can keep from coming OTT, especiall with my driver.

Thanks

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
bhoganfan said:
Jim,

For a new guy, what would you say is the best way to monitor your right shoulder so you know IT'S tracing a straight plane line? Im sure after I meet with Brian a lot of this will be cleared up, but in the meantime I'd like to know how I can keep from coming OTT, especiall with my driver.

Thanks

Honestly i'm not sure, it's a hard concept to grasp and to perform. I really feel you need the guidance from someone showing you where you need to be and then practicing on how to get there.

I only figured it out after seeing Brian and Tom in Orlando last winter and even then it took a few months of practice to really "Get it."

rwh

New
It is very difficult to come over the top with the right shoulder if your lower spine is closer to the target than the upper spine. Keep the lower spine closer to the target, and you can unwind your upper body and easily direct the right shoulder down and out toward the ball.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
rwh said:
It is very difficult to come over the top with the right shoulder if your lower spine is closer to the target than the upper spine. Keep the lower spine closer to the target, and you can unwind your upper body and easily direct the right shoulder down and out toward the ball.

Very true and i was doing this however i didn't know how DEEP downplane that shoulder really goes. So on video you'd see the startdown on plane but then i'd lose my tilt, shoulder would go off plane, and right arm would straighten too soon

rundmc

Banned
mrodock said:
I suppose this thread might be more about fixing the over the top swing, but of course some bend the plane line coming too much from the inside.

It would be useful if we categorized our ideas. General, (i.e. feel that #3 pressure point draws a straight line down the target-line from the top); avoiding over the top; avoiding coming too far from the inside. This will then serve as easier reference.

Matt

Over-the-Top or Steering . . .

Use the Angle of Approach . . . you can see it by imagining a line on the ground parallel to your On-Plane Right Forearm . . .

Swing out to right field making sure to get the club across the Target Line to low point . . . .

And MAKE A SURE TO Slide CROSS-LINE . . . all motion being parallel to the delivery line.

rwh said:

This is a different thought (maybe not different but I haven't seen it yet), I'll be trying this at the range soon.:cool:

rundmc said:

Use the Angle of Approach . . . you can see it by imagining a line on the ground parallel to your On-Plane Right Forearm . . .

Swing out to right field making sure to get the club across the Target Line to low point . . . .

And MAKE A SURE TO Slide CROSS-LINE . . . all motion being parallel to the delivery line.
This for hitting only isn't it?

rundmc

Banned
Mick Stup said:
This for hitting only isn't it?

Could be. But you can use it for both. Low point and impact point are on the Plane. And the Angle of Approach and Arc of Approach just connect the two points . . . one being a straight line and one being a curved line.

Ain't no big thang. I think this would work will for someone who is over or steers. They don't have to think about moving anything but their hands and moving the pivot cross line.

rundmc said:
Could be. But you can use it for both. Low point and impact point are on the Plane. And the Angle of Approach and Arc of Approach just connect the two points . . . one being a straight line and one being a curved line.

Ain't no big thang. I think this would work will for someone who is over or steers. They don't have to think about moving anything but their hands and moving the pivot cross line.
Ok. It's just that, as a swinger, I've been trying very hard recently to STOP moving my pivot cross line (I.e stop my rear-end moving 'off the line' - if that's the same thing, maybe I'm misunderstanding...??).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
But, but, BUT!

rundmc said:

Obviously, run/bucket, this is "geometrically" correct.

But...

I ONLY use this as a "fix" for guys who come WAY WAY WAY over it.

A flaw in this procedure as a thought[ii], is that golfers wind up swinging TOO FAR OUT TO RIGHT FIELD.

I know this to be true from the many golfers I have encountered who have "learned it" from teachers who use this procedure VERBATUM from people who subscribe to this "school of thought."

They all swung too far to the right.

Once you fix the clubface of a slicer, you need to INTRODUCE the inside-aft quadrant to them. Often this—and axis tilt—will be all they need.

The teachers who don't know how to eliminated open clubface errors—or don't do it first—will always work too hard to have their students swing out to right field.

Now, once the clubface is under control—and you have the golfer contacting the inside of the back of the ball—you had BETTER SURE AS HECK make sure the golfer has their club go "up and in" as so to trace a staight plane line.

Instead of this, some teachers just lean on 10-5-E as a crutch.

Golfers, the club travels down plane to the VERY SLIGHT inside-back of the ball. But after low point (just past impact a inch, two or three) the club MUST make a left and "draw" an arc FAR FAR to the left of the taget and plane lines.

Just make darn sure that the belt buckle beats the hands, and the hands beat the SLIGHTLY open clubface.

rundmc

Banned
Brian Manzella said:
Obviously, run/bucket, this is "geometrically" correct.

But...

I ONLY use this as a "fix" for guys who come WAY WAY WAY over it.

A flaw in this procedure as a thought[ii], is that golfers wind up swinging TOO FAR OUT TO RIGHT FIELD.

I know this to be true from the many golfers I have encountered who have "learned it" from teachers who use this procedure VERBATUM from people who subscribe to this "school of thought."

They all swung too far to the right.

Once you fix the clubface of a slicer, you need to INTRODUCE the inside-aft quadrant to them. Often this—and axis tilt—will be all they need.

The teachers who don't know how to eliminated open clubface errors—or don't do it first—will always work too hard to have their students swing out to right field.

Now, once the clubface is under control—and you have the golfer contacting the inside of the back of the ball—you had BETTER SURE AS HECK make sure the golfer has their club go "up and in" as so to trace a staight plane line.

Instead of this, some teachers just lean on 10-5-E as a crutch.

Golfers, the club travels down plane to the VERY SLIGHT inside-back of the ball. But after low point (just past impact a inch, two or three) the club MUST make a left and "draw" an arc FAR FAR to the left of the taget and plane lines.

Just make darn sure that the belt buckle beats the hands, and the hands beat the SLIGHTLY open clubface.

No arguements here with that . . . . How do you get somebody who has a shoulder going AROUND to go DOWN?

I was just kind of thinking that if a player had trouble thinking about what to do with their body . . . the may could fix it by thinking they were pivoting out to the right . . . however in reality they'd probably be pivoting parallel to the true plane line and not its visual equivalent.

I ain't no teacher so y'all certainly know what works better'n me.

rundmc

Banned
If you wanna do it . . . do it right.

Brian Manzella said:
I teach them to "do it right."

:) ;)

Where does one do "do it right?" I said doo doo . . . uhhhhh huh.

I thought I'd better ad this . . . that was a Beavis and Butthead reference (a weak one at that). Not a shot at your "do it right" video. Didn't want you to think I was saying you made a doo doo tape. :)

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Nah.

rundmc said:
Where does one do "do it right?" I said doo doo . . . uhhhhh huh.

I thought I'd better ad this . . . that was a Beavis and Butthead reference (a weak one at that). Not a shot at your "do it right" video. Didn't want you to think I was saying you made a doo doo tape. :)

I wasn't referencing my video, I was answering the question.

If you wanted me to get Mike Finney to "throw it away," I could get him top do it.

Because, you see, I would TEACH HIM TO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
What brian means is that there is "no way one to teach someone to 'do it right'."

You have to be able to figure out a way to get the student to do it.

rundmc

Banned
Brian Manzella said:
I wasn't referencing my video, I was answering the question.

If you wanted me to get Mike Finney to "throw it away," I could get him top do it.

Becuase, you see, I would TEACH HIM TO.

Gotcha. And . . . I'm sure the "do it right" video thingie ain't pooh pooh.

Status
Not open for further replies.