Your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here is my swing...

and after looking at it on video... I am convinced that I am flipping... at the very least sweep releasing... I DO NOT want to do this... looks like I will be buying Confessions...

anyway, if you see the same thing as me, or have advice on how to stop doing this... let me know.

This is my normal swing (no Manzella forum influance... pre-forum if you will), as in, none of the stuff I have really been working on, is in this swing. (No SD1/ trying to what it feels like to me, overly exaggerate the clubhead lag. although now that I look at my swing, I'm probably not exaggerating it at all.)

DTL:
100_1422.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Face on:
100_1423.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Close as I could get for ya
flip.jpg

flip.jpg

See that is right after impact, and my right wrist is already bent quite a bit... I mean, I dont have a picture right at impact, and I cant get it to stop, but I am thinking that its bent at impact too... which is bad bad bad...

any suggestions, or drills I should be doing as to keep from having a bent right wrist at impact?

See that is right after impact, and my right wrist is already bent quite a bit... I mean, I dont have a picture right at impact, and I cant get it to stop, but I am thinking that its bent at impact too... which is bad bad bad...

any suggestions, or drills I should be doing as to keep from having a bent right wrist at impact?

maybe try some rovergolf products :D

I think your right wrist is more to do with the right arm and the problems there. At address you are standing too close for driver. To make matters worse your left side looks very rigid and straight and this has forced the right side to soften and move back somewhat. This can be seen in your open shoulders. Through impact you look very cramped and if your right arm was straight you'd go straight under it. If anything you want the opposite look at address. Stretch out your right side so that it is measured off for impact. Soften the left side somewhat so your backswing will be compact and you won't run out of left arm coming down (ie straighten too early and not reach both arms straight follow through). How does this all relate to right wrist? Because you don't have room to have right wrist straight, the wrist bending is another way to help you get club on ball without sticking it in the turf. It is a subconscious thing. If left arm is straight too early something's gotta give.

I think you'll find if you're standing at the appropriate distance from the ball with a longer right side and soft left side, you'll be able to pivot freely and drive your right arm off your chest with pressure points keeping that wrist flat. In a nutshell? Too cramped and left side too straight to allow a straight right arm and flat right wrist.

For those who haven't seen the videos, DashFan is a left-hander so this may have all seemed a bit out of whack.

Thanks mrose, all of that made allot of sense to me... Everyone tells me that my shoulders are open at address. I used to ALWAYS hit a fade... lately working with SD1 I have been able to call my shots allot though. Like I said, This is the swing that I made up, on my own, I tried to swing with little or no influence from what I have learned here, so that I could get a better idea of what I have been doing wrong all along, more than what Im doing wrong while working on stuff. makes everything allot less confusing.

My normal ball flight with driver is about a 5 yard fade. Goes about 260, however, if everything clicks, I have no problem being able to hit the ball 290 to 300+. That is what drives me crazy, I know I have been doing something wrong, because I have the strength, and the swing speed (around 109) to be hitting the ball much further than I do.
My typical miss would be the pull. with driver, pull draw, some times pull fade, if everything really goes wrong pull slice.
with a 3 or 5 wood, my miss would be pull draw/hook.
With these two clubs, I have accuracy and being able to work the ball both ways down to a science though. I dont miss hit them allot. My 3 wood goes about 255, 260. and my 5 wood, about 225, 235.

Irons... yeah, well I thin allot. I have the ability to hit any iron in my bag, Im not afraid of any club. But like most, most of my problems start creeping into 5 iron on, 5I i hit about 180, 4 about 195 and 3 about 205. usualy, the misses with these clubs are strait slices, start out strait, and slice/hard fade. I can pull these clubs too though.

Im pretty good with my shorter clubs... Im dead accurate from 130 to about 90 yards. Pwedge is my best friend. I have a tendency to pull my 56* wedge about... 15 feet off target. I hit it about 90 yards max.

Funny enough, its the flat lie, strait shot that gives me trouble... Put me on a side of a hill, any where, and give me a 6 iron, and ill hit the green every time. Its like, when I'm in the middle of the fairway, I don't know what to do... I mean, I hit allot of good shots off the fairway, from flat lies... I just have the tendency to hit bad shots there too.

so, in short.
Its pretty clear I have a bent right wrist... Im pulling, Im fadeing, and when it gets really bad, I pull draw/hook.

mrose, whats a good way to check how far the proper length to stand from the ball is? The way I learned was to put a fist between the butt of your club and the buckle. But clearly thats no good for me. Got another way?

distance from ball

There are many different ways. I haven't really found any tricks that i subscribe to. i think the hand span idea is a bit misleading because it fails to allow for the differences in clubs in terms of their length and lie etc. For example, with driver I found that my posture is more upright to allow for the longer and flatter lie of the shaft. This tends to move my arms slightly away from vertical at address so that there is a bigger gap between the butt of the grip and my body. For short irons I am more bent over and so the butt is closer to my body. Many top players look like it could almost touch their knees with a wedge, this would be difficult to manage if the same position was used for driver.

One way that isn't too bad is to take your grip and then hold the club out horizontally in front of you while standing erect. Bend slightly at the knees and then bend from the hips until the club sits on the ground comfortably. Hopefully, this will result in the club sitting at its appropriate lie angle and you'll have plenty of room to keep a solid structure to your swing through extensor action.

I think you'll find your open shoulders will be cured simply by taking the tension out of your left arm so it doesn't have the reaching look it currently has. If you retain a bit of an angle in that arm coming into impact (along with standing a better distance from it) you'll have room to keep the right arm straight coming into impact.

I'm new to TGM land but perhaps working on aiming point and releasing the right arm accumulator through your pressure points a bit later may be the way to go. The position at about 45 degrees in the follow through is pretty much the only position that both arms can be straight to be on plane. So if your left arm is straight too early then there simply isn't room for the right arm to be straight as well. That also means that your right wrist is going to give way and break down.

flip.jpg

You don't need a picture of impact. This picture is proof-positive that you are flipping because neither one of your arms is straight. At any given time, at least one arm should be straight, and Hogan would argue that at the exact point you are at in that picture, both arms should be straight. Compare your position to the same position of this video of John Cook, which Brian called stone flipping.

YouTube - John Cook 3 iron slo mo golf swing

Chris Sturgess

Your are like a combination of Biff from Back to the Future and Carl Petterson.

You should focus on improving your pivot and your release.

Dashfan-

We have many of the same tendencies and off-shot results. I also grew up playing a fade and I used to have a teacher that taught a lot of pop-out/swing left. Strangely, I am also pretty good for someone at my level with tougher shots. I am more much likely to have a problem pulling a wedge or hitting a 4-iron off a tee than hitting some odd sidehill lie type of 7-iron shot.

I think my plane line has always gone to far left (I'm a right hander) and I've long had a tendency to set-up very open. I am trying to adjust this with SD approach - slightly closed set-up, square front foot, less pop-out on the backswing, thumb-under slightly across line at top, but it's not easy fixing that for me.

I will be interested to hear what works for you on these issues.

Last edited:
Your are like a combination of Biff from Back to the Future and Carl Petterson.

You should focus on improving your pivot and your release.

thanks? haha, yeah yeah, Im a chubby red head...

I asked my girlfriend if I looked like Carl Petterson one day, and she said yeah, but a little skinnier.

not much...

Thank mrose, and niblick. Ill let you all know how I go about fixing these issues.
Im going to buy confessions for sure.

Chris Sturgess

Sure. Don't set your hands so far forward at address. Especially not on a driver. And just make your pivot more active. You seem to be hitting from the top with your hands a little bit which will cause slices and lose a little power. It will also make your path tend to be outside in and when that happens you have no choice but to inhibit your release or else the ball will go left.

Sure. Don't set your hands so far forward at address. Especially not on a driver. And just make your pivot more active. You seem to be hitting from the top with your hands a little bit which will cause slices and lose a little power. It will also make your path tend to be outside in and when that happens you have no choice but to inhibit your release or else the ball will go left.

Yeah I didn't realize how far forward my hands were set... can you explain having an active pivot? I am somewhat new to all of this, and I still don't fully understand what having an "active pivot" includes.

Status
Not open for further replies.