Zero-Out Land

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it really improve my golf ball striking if I could get my swing zeroed out ?

Is this something we should all strive for and would it make a golfer more consistant?

I'm thinking it would.

Yes. However, knowing how to zero out ones swing is what will improve your ball striking. Most people don't know how to hit a ball straight and after you have this knowledge you have a better understanding of your swing which should translate into better ballstriking. I didn't how to hit a straight shot before I saw BMan's explanations of the D plane this year and I've been playing golf for 26+ years (I'm 39 years old).

What counts is the type of shot you can hit under pressure. I feel most confident drawing the ball. Some guys like a fade and others like to hit it straight. The type of shot one consistently wants to hits really comes down to confidence and personal preference (IMO).

Knowing how to hit a straight shot will make you a better ball striker (unless you can't take the knowledge and apply it). The knowledge about the D-plane isn't well known or accepted. Most teaching pros (except for those on this website) have no clue about the D-plane and therefore can't tell a golfer what they need to hit the desired shot.

I have been hitting balls with the Trackman working on getting my numbers to zero land and I have been hitting some awesome shots. I will tell you that it feels like I am coming over the top on the downswing which is not the case when I see the numbers and look at the video. I had my chapter championship yesterday and after playing the first six holes nine over and taking a nine on a par five. I said f$ck it I am playing the rest of the way with my Trackman swing and for the next nine holes I was three under and then it started pouring so bad that I bogeyed in.

One thing I do understand now is that I am on the right track because of the ball flight and contact. I am also seeing the results on the course which is a HUGE THING, I know I can take it out to the course under the gun and I am seeing the same shots as the practice tee.

The only thing I am mad about is that I did not trust that I could do it straight from the first hole.

I have been hitting balls with the Trackman working on getting my numbers to zero land and I have been hitting some awesome shots. I will tell you that it feels like I am coming over the top on the downswing which is not the case when I see the numbers and look at the video.

Did you find your way to that over-the-top feeling/zeroed out swing with an instructor or self-experimentation? What were your trackman numbers prior to the fix?

It wouldn't necessarily improve everybody. Typically, the greatest iron players I ever saw were very straight with the irons. However, somebody like my friend Tony from back home in NY hit push-draw after push-draw and was constantly flagging shots and is easily in the top 20 iron players I've ever seen. I wouldn't change his draw shot for anything. But you have to figure that his face is probably around 1-2* open with a path about 3-4* inside-to-out.

The problem is that for most golfers they don't have a face and a path like that. If they typically hit a hook, their face may be 5* open with a path 10* inside-to-out. Tough to consistently do that. So if they try to work on 'zeroing out' their numbers, they may not wind up actually zeroing them out, but get into a more manageable range like my friend has them at.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Zero path, zero face and center contact is the best tranfer of energy and straight will always win in the end. Especially if you can putt;)

Zero path, zero face and center contact is the best tranfer of energy and straight will always win in the end. Especially if you can putt;)

Kevin,

Just to clarify, when you talk about "zeroing out", do you mean the compensating for the A of A by swinging appropriately left or right depending on the club in order to produce a "zeroed-out" resultant club path?

A 3º downward A of A compensated for by a 1.5º left HSP with a 6-iron in your hand gives a zeroed-out club path.

Or do you literally mean "get as close to zero in terms of the A of A and the HSP"?

Thanks.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

Just to clarify, when you talk about "zeroing out", do you mean the compensating for the A of A by swinging appropriately left or right depending on the club in order to produce a "zeroed-out" resultant club path?

A 3º downward A of A compensated for by a 1.5º left HSP with a 6-iron in your hand gives a zeroed-out club path.

Or do you literally mean "get as close to zero in terms of the A of A and the HSP"?

Thanks.

The former

Status
Not open for further replies.