Zeroing out #3 accumulator for full shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
I have a friend who plays using that technique. He basically has a super strong left hand grip (4 knuckles or more) and a super strong right grip (back of hand facing ground). He just needs to go up plane cocking everything and then down the plane uncocking . He has an inconsistent pivot and a few other issues, so all is not perfect, but he can really connect at times.

My question is if anyone can remind me what book/pro out there might have been a proponent of this kind of swing, so at least my stubborn friend can have some things to read and study up on.

He did try a conventional grip and swing for a few weeks, practicing at the range and using it on the course for about one and a half rounds, but he loves the 290 yard straight shots of his unconventional technique.

Last edited:
Well, the pro I went to when I was 15 was a proponent of this swing, but that was more than 20 years ago so it's probably not helpful to you or your friend!

It's certainly possible to hit good shots from this position, but it requires you to, in essence, block every single shot in order to keep from snap hooking it. In my experience, this makes for a very inconsistent pattern.

My question is if anyone can remind me what book/pro out there might have been a proponent of this kind of swing, so at least my stubborn friend can have some things to read and study up on.

If you could get him to back the grip off a little you could look at guys like;
Zach Johnson or someone like Paul Azinger
Ladies;
Morgan Pressel zeroed out number 3 and hits it as straight as anyone.

I hope he has fast hips !!:)

dbl

New
I know there's the Zach Johnson and Azinger (John Redman) style playing with a closed face, but I don't think is what my friend does. He did get started playing after reading up on Moe Norman, so maybe I'll viist that thread Brian did on Moe.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
When I play my best I have no #3 at all involved. My pivot pulls everything to a spot past the ball and then my hinges simply uncock, bending my left wrist immediately past impact. Limits curvature on shots.

When I play my best I have no #3 at all involved. My pivot pulls everything to a spot past the ball and then my hinges simply uncock, bending my left wrist immediately past impact. Limits curvature on shots.

dont you have a neutral grip?

I've been playing with higher hands at setup. I started on it cause I hit it more solid. None of my dreaded toe shots I think (partly) from PULLING my hands UP to that height through the ball.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
dont you have a neutral grip?

I do sometimes. As a full time instructor, Im always experimenting. Ive found that i naturally hit the ball the purest when i just snap the chain and let the wrist uncock with little roll. But hell, who knows what I'll be bringin to my next event :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.