Tiger.......ehhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Actually Hogan had something like 16-17 aces

Since I haven't heard about the source, I found this:

It's often reported that Ben Hogan never had a hole in one. Davis, who met Hogan, said Hogan had two aces and quoted him as saying, "I would have made more if I'd aimed at the flag, but I rarely did so."

USATODAY.com - With holes in one, no matter how you slice them luck is vital

Agree!
And golf fundamentalists all over the world will worship at shrines to the enlightened one, Hogan, who achieved pari Nirvana and ascended to a Paradise of eternal long rough and narrow fairways. And we will be grateful to and honor his prophet, St Dariusz, for bringing the truth of his greatness and preeminence to the deluded followers of false gods.

You can ridicule as much as you want but it's a very probable scenario, no matter motives.
Nice bunch of words though. I liked it somehow.

I too play a game similar to Hogan. We both like to take the pin outta play. :)

I must think about it more seriously and try to hit the middle of the greens instead attacking flags and ending with a bogey instead birdie.

Cheers

btp

New
Ben Hogan most interesting man in the world of golf.

1) He lives vicariously through himself.

2) He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels.

3) His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man’s entire body.

4) When it is raining, it is because he is thinking of something sad.

5) His shirts never wrinkle.

6) He is left-handed and right-handed.

7) If he were to mail a letter without postage, it would still get there.

8) The police often question him just because they find him interesting.

9) His blood smells like cologne.

10) On every continent in the world, there is a sandwich named after him. His hands feel like rich brown suede.

11) Cuba imports cigars from him. Mosquitos refuse to bite him purely out of respect. In museums, he is allowed to touch the art.

12) His business card simply says “I’ll call you.”

13) He has won the lifetime achievement award, twice.

14) If he were to punch you in the face, you would have to fight off the urge to thank him.

15) He bowls overhand.

16) He is fluent in all languages, including three that he only speaks.

17) He tips an astonishing 100%.

18) Once while sailing around the world, he discovered a short cut.

19) Panhandlers give him money.

20) He divorced his wife because he caught her littering.

21) His passport requires no photograph.

22) When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value.

I've been away for awhile...it's 20 degrees and snowing hard here right now. But I come here on the day that Tiger shoots 65 to take the lead at Torrey, and see a Tiger thread. So I click on it, expecting to hear how the folks on the board feel about Tiger (and Rory and Phil, etc.) this year.

But it turns out Dariusz is back, so what I get instead is another thread about whether Hogan was a deity or something else!!!

:)

Dariusz J.

I've been away for awhile...it's 20 degrees and snowing hard here right now. But I come here on the day that Tiger shoots 65 to take the lead at Torrey, and see a Tiger thread. So I click on it, expecting to hear how the folks on the board feel about Tiger (and Rory and Phil, etc.) this year.

But it turns out Dariusz is back, so what I get instead is another thread about whether Hogan was a deity or something else!!!

:)

2 short questions:

a. Have you actually read the whole thread ? if you did you'd see who started what;

b. Would you post if Woods shot 76 to miss the cut at Torrey ?

Enough said.

2 short questions:

a. Have you actually read the whole thread ? if you did you'd see who started what;

I freely admit I did not; it's a long thread. But I also don't doubt that someone pulled you in. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's all that hard to do.

b. Would you post if Woods shot 76 to miss the cut at Torrey ?

Of course I would! I'd post if Tiger shot 58 or 88; both would be interesting events in golf, though I admit the former would probably be a lot more interesting. I've been around here for about 6 years and have probably said 2 or 3 things about Tiger and a lot of other things about the game, the swing, etc. I was just curious what the Tiger thread looked like, given that he was in contention on one of his favorite courses.

I'm also very partial to Torrey Pines. When I was in college we played a huge multiple-conference collegiate event there the week after the PGA event. They'd put the tees where they were for Sunday and it was always the hardest course I ever was lucky enough to play in competition. Hence my interest in this week's tournament.

Please carry on with the Hogan discussion. I just found it funny that EVERY discussion can become a Hogan discussion.

Dariusz J.

I freely admit I did not; it's a long thread. But I also don't doubt that someone pulled you in. On the other hand, I'm not sure that's all that hard to do.

So, you posted a stupid message about me in bold letters and you admit without any problem that it was just like a routine for you to think the way you did ?
Perhaps you're right, I shouldn't have answered to ignorant fools and their stupid provocations since no matter what happens and no matter what I wrote it will all turn bad on me.

Of course I would! I'd post if Tiger shot 58 or 88; both would be interesting events in golf, though I admit the former would probably be a lot more interesting.

In this context ? Do you believe what you write now ? I am positive the inspiration was that Woods shot a good score. One does not need to be Copernicus to discover it.

Please carry on with the Hogan discussion. I just found it funny that EVERY discussion can become a Hogan discussion.

I did not start it and I have no reason to run it further unless another fool says something stupid.

Good night.

Just an observation. Tiger's swing looked way better today than what I saw last week. He seemed to have stayed back more and didn't get too far left in the downswing. He was also "picking" the ball a lot more today with the irons.

ej20

New
If Hogan was such an incredibly accurate ballstriker,why did he have to play safe so often?I know if I could hit the ball exactly where I want,I would be firing at every pin.

I think Cary Middlecoff once said that Hogan hit a lot greens but he was rarely close to the hole,which insinuates that Hogan always aimed for the middle of the green.Any player that does this will improve their gir stat.

Hogan was basically a safe player who managed his game very well.Probably only Nicklaus was a better at game management.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If Hogan was such an incredibly accurate ballstriker,why did he have to play safe so often?I know if I could hit the ball exactly where I want,I would be firing at every pin.

I think Cary Middlecoff once said that Hogan hit a lot greens but he was rarely close to the hole,which insinuates that Hogan always aimed for the middle of the green.Any player that does this will improve their gir stat.

Hogan was basically a safe player who managed his game very well.Probably only Nicklaus was a better at game management.

I've also thought this for years. If he hit it so well, why would he intentionally miss the green on 11 at Augusta?? It's like the biggest contradiction. Best ball striker playing safe?

Dariusz J.

I've also thought this for years. If he hit it so well, why would he intentionally miss the green on 11 at Augusta?? It's like the biggest contradiction. Best ball striker playing safe?

I was also asking myself this question, the more he became a horrible putter after accident and needed to hit as close as possible to the hole to have safe pars and chances for birdies. A possibe answer is that it was enough to play like that to win most important tournaments. Winners of majors these times brought scores either a bit below par or around par after four days. Assuming he really could hit 100% GIR & FIR every two or three rounds and assuming even he must have made a birdie or two -- it seems enough to win a tournament with, say, 286 or 287. Lastly, it sort of matches his personality to avoid risking.
Later, after 1953, it seems it was not enough when his putting worsened even more and, probably some 3-putt holes settled his chances down despite he still played excellently from tee to green.

Moreover, do you remember Shell match with Snead ? He never risked in this match and played a boring fairway-to-green golf (which is beautifully boring to my eye, BTW). I do not remember all holes from the match but I do not remember as well a single one where he hit very close to the pin in all 18 approaches in regulation.

Cheers

Dariusz, I usually agree with quite many of your opinions, however, I will say I think you need to appreciate greatness in golf whatever the form.

Ie: Hogan was a great golfer due to phenomenal ball striking, Tiger due to his incredible focus iron play, and a ten year stretch of ridiculous putting, Hagen was maybe the best scrambler of all time, Snead incredible physical gifts that allowed him to be competitive in majors into his 60's, Nicklaus the greatest all around driver of the ball ever, Seve's incredible short game.

We need to appreciate all of these guys for what they each brought to the game as opposed to arguing over who's better and why.

Personally, I think Nelson is a guy a lot more people should be studying, very underrated.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz, I usually agree with quite many of your opinions, however, I will say I think you need to appreciate greatness in golf whatever the form.

Ie: Hogan was a great golfer due to phenomenal ball striking, Tiger due to his incredible focus iron play, and a ten year stretch of ridiculous putting, Hagen was maybe the best scrambler of all time, Snead incredible physical gifts that allowed him to be competitive in majors into his 60's, Nicklaus the greatest all around driver of the ball ever, Seve's incredible short game.

We need to appreciate all of these guys for what they each brought to the game as opposed to arguing over who's better and why.

Personally, I think Nelson is a guy a lot more people should be studying, very underrated.

Even if my heart prefers to say something other, I must agree to your wise words in all aspects.

I wholeheartedly agreee as well to your remarks about Nelson, probably most underrated golfer (together with Demaret) of the gold era.
I happen to have two of his books and must tell you that they are very worth reading.

Cheers

Dariusz, thanks for the tips on Nelson's books. I wasn't aware he had even written a book. I'll make sure to see if I can find them.

It's just amazing to me that Byron isn't talked about more, 11 straight tournament victories, 18 in a season, a 68.33 scoring average in 1945, lowest first round masters score held for almost 40 years, 113 straight cuts, 5 majors, and 52 wins, while retiring at age 34.

and nobody really discusses his swing much. I think Nicklaus even said in one of his books that Nelson was the straightest hitting golfer he had ever seen.

Tiger is a scrambling machine today, think he's missed his last 5 or 6 fairways, and is even or 1 under. Seems he's getting that short game magic back. Just got a 3 and he drove it in the rough, stuck under a tree, chops out, chips in... nice.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz, thanks for the tips on Nelson's books. I wasn't aware he had even written a book. I'll make sure to see if I can find them.

I will describe both of them to give you the picture:

1. The Little Black Book -- something similar to Penick's book with good advices of an experienced player. An easy and nice read with pictures of pages from original Nelson's notebook from tour times;

2. Winning Golf -- an instruction book with many great big good quality pictures and very easy to read instructive remarks without technical lingo. One can easily see how close was Nelson's swing principles to all golden era swings of Hogan, Snead, Middlecoff, Bure et all.

Tiger is a scrambling machine today, think he's missed his last 5 or 6 fairways, and is even or 1 under. Seems he's getting that short game magic back. Just got a 3 and he drove it in the rough, stuck under a tree, chops out, chips in... nice.

You see, this is, in my world, an exact example of poor ballstriking and an art of recovery shots and short game. This is how I imagine Hagen's game was. A winning Hagen's game without a great swing and a great ballstriking quality.

Cheers

Jones grand slam in 30, retired. Nelson, 18 wins in 45, gone by 47, Hogan slam in 53, never won another major, Ralph Guldahl back to back opens in 37,38, gone by 1940. In golf the flame burns brighest right before it burns out, sometimes...

Dariusz

You see, this is, in my world, an exact example of poor ballstriking and an art of recovery shots and short game. This is how I imagine Hagen's game was. A winning Hagen's game without a great swing and a great ballstriking quality.

Cheers

Dariusz,

Are there any golfers ranked high on the world rankings with swing techniques that you like? Who knows, maybe you think they're all bad. If you do think that, then which swings are the least bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.