Upright Swings are bad—right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't get this much bigger, but from right to left, top to bottom: hogan, knudson, player, rodriguez, seve, norman, brewer, palmer.

I think there are more images of palmer being on the flatter side than steep, but camera angles can make even the hottest chick look ugly.

The idea of "bashing" the so called "flat swing lovers" is not to to throw out insults for the sake of insult or to be a contrarian. It's to show that just flattening out a guys swing is not gonna solve his problems (i.e. the Haney Project disaster)

A flat swing works great for guys like Derek, but for a guy that swings upright and has problems, you're not gonna help him by standing behind him and yelling "flatter" (sorry Hank).

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
th_F.jpg

I'm just enjoying the debate but I think it should be noted that the picture of Seve was when he played his absolute worst and Norman is on record as saying that the flattening changes never felt natural and was on a Golf magazine cover later as a proponent of an upright action.

And I love all swings.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All I want to know at this point, is why this "Slicer McGolfer" guy doesn't use his real name, and why he keeps ignoring Derek Sanders' swing?

Anything else, is fluff and will be edited...

vandal

New
It's amazing how you people can miss the point.

And Bolt -- It's you're. A contraction for you are. The apostrophe takes the place of missing letters. And it should be it's. Again, a contraction. Its is the possessive pronoun.

Finney, amazing.

Brian, Hogan is someone else's model, not mine. I personally hate how everyone holds his swing up as some epitome of an idealized swing.

Actually, as talented writers go, mediocre and over-rated. Not even close to HOF. Not to be too mean about it, but she's famous because she killed herself.

Almost the most ignorant thing I've ever seen here.

All I want to know at this point, is why this "Slicer McGolfer" guy doesn't use his real name, and why he keeps ignoring Derek Sanders' swing?

Anything else, is fluff and will be edited...

Derek has a nice action. I'll add it to my collage.

If you're going to start the thread with upright swings and post a flat swing as well, then can you post a collage of flatter swings too? I see a bit of a contradiction

It's amazing how you people can miss the point.

And Bolt -- It's you're. A contraction for you are. The apostrophe takes the place of missing letters. And it should be it's. Again, a contraction. Its is the possessive pronoun.

Finney, amazing.

Brian, Hogan is someone else's model, not mine. I personally hate how everyone holds his swing up as some epitome of an idealized swing.

Almost the most ignorant thing I've ever seen here.

5-1 and you are a dope!

Is that ok?

California is just not what I remember it as.......

This thread is going nowhere.

Let's review:

I showed many great players who swung upright, and their cumulative record.

I did this because current "pop instruction" likes flat swings.

Why did i do it?

Because there are MANY GOLFERS who have upright swings, and just need some real teaching to get fixed, who are throwing the baby out with the bath water and might wind up out of golf, who could have been Tour players.

The same goes for average players.

There are three camps off the top of my head who like flatter swings. They took the upright picture as a threat to their existence. Or at least their moral superiority complex.

I made my point, and they made another one of my favorite points:

Method teachers have thin skins.

NEXT!

This thread is definitely going nowhere. At least most of us are in agreement with the opening post that it would be silly to be a hater of upright swings.

However, I have personally WATCHED as mediocre to really bad PGA Tour players improve significantly in an incredibley short time, and go on to win tournaments on the PGA Tour with one of the components being a lower plane. Those players were trying to go higher and wider...they were being taught off the tour by some instructors that liked their plane or wanted it higher. The same can be said for amateurs as well.

Let's review...
A players mediocre ball striking stats is NOT a determinant in choosing to components of swings to copy...only winning is because that's what really matters.

You are supposedly "threatening my existence or moral superiority complex" with photos of "upright swings" like Arnold Palmer.

I have thin skin.

Think that's everything...I'm sure Brian will come back with a combative response to explain how wrong these points are....count on that.

EDIT: Tons of credit to Dereks swing. It looks really nice from the front. Keep teaching that pattern pro!

Last edited:
Derek has a nice action. I'll add it to my collage.

If you're going to start the thread with upright swings and post a flat swing as well, then can you post a collage of flatter swings too? I see a bit of a contradiction

...of flat swinging golfers...no others just the flatliners...

sorry Mr. Canuck, you are becoming a bore:cool:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All I see is two guys who sell flat, selling flat, and one guy who sells any plane as long as it works selling that.

I made my point.

This thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.