Alright Baby — Birdie_Man's Dad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Needs to train the pivot and get rid of the flip first by fixing the face.

He has a colin montgomery kind of thing going on there.

The classic "Country Club" action...much better player than the average bear. I'll bet he's a 9 or 10 hdcp and flips it with pretty good speed. Probably has some good rounds! Good luck changing that action. Fixing the grip will turn him into a hooker. He's far enough into the game that "walloping it with the pivot" will be painful medicine.

Ya I think he peaked at 5 HDCP.

Don't think he could hold that at the moment but prolly is about an 8 or something.....he could be back to a 5 with some fixes....

His short game ain't to good either and never has been from what I can tell/understand. (flipper)

Always has a handful of fat and thin pitches per round. He's one of those guys who hits flops from EVERYWHERE. (cause he can't hit it low very well....flips it)

Wedge game is OK but he hits em too high.....not a bad thing in itself I guess unless u want to ever hit a running shot.....I think distance control suffers too cause he has some "fluff" in there and comes up short a lot.

Last edited:
That's funny

I have dozens like it at my club. If the wind blows they are done. Game, set and match.....give them sunshine, no wind and a wide birth off the tee and they can score pretty well. A fella like that would do so well in a playing lesson with a guy that can hit the low punch shots on a windy day and really witness the pivot relates to a forward leaning shaft. I have a lot of success off the range teaching a "shot." They don't realize it improves their entire swing and keeps their ego solid... They just learned a "trick" shot:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Birdie Man (Paul).

You need to tell your Pop to start his upgrade with one simple idea:

"Finish with his left thumb under the club."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
help him stop the flip. If he is trying to go to wedding ring up he can't flip at it.

Pretty good guess.

To get his thumb under, he will have to do several other things correctly, and IF he does, will have to do several things BETTER to hit it 'where he's looking.'

patty

New
Thanks Jim.

So during release of the club the thumb is face down at the ground, under the club...

If so I can't do this without breaking my wrist. :confused:

any drills ?

Patty

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Thanks Jim.

So during release of the club the thumb is face down at the ground, under the club...

If so I can't do this without breaking my wrist. :confused:

any drills ?

Patty

Look at brian's avatar and his logo at the top, that is where the left thumb should get under.

You need to tell your Pop to start his upgrade with one simple idea:

"Finish with his left thumb under the club."

K we've gone out a few times lately and I have him doing this.

I was talking to Jim and it turns out I didn't really get it at first- and my dad hadn't really been getting it either.....but now that I know it means he has to full roll roll it, we're on our way to getting rid or that flip and the chicken wing.

Told him to turn his left hand knuckles to the ground while he's taking a divot in front of the ball.

He understands now and hit a few nice trapped draw lower-than-usual irons.

I told him to keep going with that same move until he could hit fades. ;)

Thanks.

-Paul

Last edited:

Garth

New
Told him to turn his left hand knuckles to the ground while he's taking a divot in front of the ball.

He understands now and hit a few nice trapped draw lower-than-usual irons.

I told him to keep going with that same move until he could hit fades. ;)

Thanks.

-Paul

How the heck do you hit fades doing that though? That's about where I got stuck on the whole "wedding ring up" thing. I can compress the snot out of it with that thought, but they're all pull hooks for the most part.

_

Status
Not open for further replies.