Any cures for raising up in the backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
I swing with a LCT and sort of a NSA shoulder turn or at least that is what I am trying to do. Anyhow, at the end of my backswing I totally raise my chest and arms about 2-3 inches before starting my downswing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or swing thoughts that keep your spine angle more steady? Below is my swing. After 2 lessons with Manzella this year I feel like my swing has become alot more dynamic. But most importantly posting my swings on the forum has helped keep me from getting the shanks so far this year. Thanks for your replies.

YouTube - 06/08

I have the same problem. For me, and I want to stress that this is for me, the problem is caused by the arms/hands wanting to travel too far. The left shoulder presses hard against my upper torso and pulls me out of posture. To solve the problem, I try to minimise arm/hand travel, keeping them as square as possible to my torso at the top of the backswing. It's important for me to have a good shoulder turn with this approach otherwise I'll only be taking half swings. You won't feel the pressure in the left armpit (pressure point #4) going back, but should feel it load through the transition.

How about trying to feel like you are doing a small squat into the backswing? In an effort to relax the upper body some in your pivot. Also may help with the "run up and jump" on the downswing.

Jwat, your swing is June, 2008 and you mention having 2 lessons with Brian.
What did Brian say about this issue? Could be that he thinks it's not a problem.

For at least 25 years, I labored under the opinion of various club pro's that my
extra coil of the shoulders at the end of my backswing was a terrible thing that
had to be eliminated.

Toward the end of my only Brian lesson, he commented that I had a little Kenny
Perry move. I told him about how bad they thought it was. He laughed, and told me
it was good and to keep the move.

So maybe your little lift thing isn't really a problem.

What did Brian say about this issue? Could be that he thinks it's not a problem.

For at least 25 years, I labored under the opinion of various club pro's that my
extra coil of the shoulders at the end of my backswing was a terrible thing that
had to be eliminated.

Perry move. I told him about how bad they thought it was. He laughed, and told me

I agree. Brian has a lift up too.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I agree. Brian has a lift up too.

As long as you store your turn and step back down on the left foot its not a bad thing.

Just watched your video. Do you have alot of block rights? Looks like a late fit in to the inside.

Last edited:
A little confused with the post. I can't raise my chest without raising my head. The chest does not move on its own. Essentially the spine must lift for the chest to raise. Spine lifting and arm lifting are separate issues. The first is not good, the second is pretty important. Finishing the swing with a little extra lift is done by some good ballstrikers, ie, Ray Floyd, Larry Nelson, Hale Irwin, to name a few.

Jwat

New

had to be eliminated.

Brian has never mentioned this to me as a problem. The things he always point out is:

1. swing more left
2. keep my right elbow up on backswing (this to help with the carry)
3. wants me to pull my hands way inside

But something I noticed was that my left shoulder is making contact with my chin way early in the swing. At that point is when I start to raise up.

What do you guys think?

Jwat

New
As long as you store your turn and step back down on the left foot its not a bad thing.

Just watched your video. Do you have alot of block rights? Looks like a late fit in to the inside.

Kevin,

Most of my misses are pull hooks. The hooks I think because of my closed clubface at top of swing. I hardly ever block it right. Today I was hitting pull hooks.

I have really been trying to ground my feet throughout the swing. If you look at the video my right heel comes off of the ground way early in the swing which really makes me pelvic thrust. This is my theory on why I swing to the inside or underplane so much.

What do you think?

You could do the "crossing-guard" pivot drill B recommends. Basically, get your left shoulder a little more down and over your right foot at the top of the BS.

Jwat

New
You could do the "crossing-guard" pivot drill B recommends. Basically, get your left shoulder a little more down and over your right foot at the top of the BS.

I like this drill and it has worked in the past but I can't get that feeling right now in my backswing.

My left shoulder pushes my head way off of the ball which in turn makes me raise up.

How do you keep a low left shoulder on the backswing?

ggsjpc

New
The fitness guys would say it is a fitness issue if you can't stay bent over. Usually tight hamstrings. Certainly something that you can recover from but just an extra movement to account for.

Jwat

New
I went outside and hit about 30 balls this evening with my 6 iron and driver. I focused on taking my left shoulder on the backswing more under my chin as opposed to around. I didn't get video of it but I definitley dont think I was raising up as bad. I was really striking the ball well with the iron and okay with the driver.

Does anyone else notice that at the point where I start to raise up is at the same time my shoulder hits my chin? I think the LCT is helping give me momentum to keep turning through it where as before the LCT I would just stop my turn right then.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. Hopefully Bmanz will get back with me about a appt next week.

I swing with a LCT and sort of a NSA shoulder turn or at least that is what I am trying to do. Anyhow, at the end of my backswing I totally raise my chest and arms about 2-3 inches before starting my downswing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or swing thoughts that keep your spine angle more steady? Below is my swing. After 2 lessons with Manzella this year I feel like my swing has become alot more dynamic. But most importantly posting my swings on the forum has helped keep me from getting the shanks so far this year. Thanks for your replies.

YouTube - 06/08

Your weight is too far on your heels at the setup. You have no where to go but up if you are going to extend your arms and still hit the ball.

Jwat

New
Your weight is too far on your heels at the setup. You have no where to go but up if you are going to extend your arms and still hit the ball.

That really makes sense. Seems like it also makes it harder to swing left which I was thinking the opposite.

I'm not so sure about the body having no where to go, but up if you have a deep set-up. Rickie Fowler goes away from the ball target line in the downswing, then he goes up, because he has too. Check out how far his head moves away from the ball in the downswing. He manages to get it done.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

Most of my misses are pull hooks. The hooks I think because of my closed clubface at top of swing. I hardly ever block it right. Today I was hitting pull hooks.

I have really been trying to ground my feet throughout the swing. If you look at the video my right heel comes off of the ground way early in the swing which really makes me pelvic thrust. This is my theory on why I swing to the inside or underplane so much.

What do you think?

Most people who fit it down and under have the heel come off the ground early. Its an effect, not a cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.