Any cures for raising up in the backswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
for your left shoulder, how about thinking about pulling back with your right shoulder instead of pushing with your left. You can get a better shoulder turn and the left arm may not bang into your chin as you say.

Small movement, start the takeaway by "pulling" back your right shoulder maintaining spine angle.

I'm not so sure about the body having no where to go, but up if you have a deep set-up. Rickie Fowler goes away from the ball target line in the downswing, then he goes up, because he has too. Check out how far his head moves away from the ball in the downswing. He manages to get it done.

Rickie sets up a bit more on his toes. He HAS to pull away from it a bit. Also his equilibrium is determined to get him back over the arches of his feet. If you start on your toes, you'll move to your heels. If start on your heels, you'll move toward your toes.

Our OP starts out way on his heels and crouched. If his equilibrium forces his weight back closer to the ball and he's already crowded, he has no where to go but up.

Jwat

New
Rickie sets up a bit more on his toes. He HAS to pull away from it a bit. Also his equilibrium is determined to get him back over the arches of his feet. If you start on your toes, you'll move to your heels. If start on your heels, you'll move toward your toes.

Our OP starts out way on his heels and crouched. If his equilibrium forces his weight back closer to the ball and he's already crowded, he has no where to go but up.

So you are saying that I am already kind of crowding the ball and when I start on my heels then I either have to go forward towards the ball, up, or both?

Everytime I go see Brian it seems like he backs me away from the ball slightly.

So you are saying that I am already kind of crowding the ball and when I start on my heels then I either have to go forward towards the ball, up, or both?

Everytime I go see Brian it seems like he backs me away from the ball slightly.

Yup.

Just set up to the ball, close your eyes, and ask yourself where do you feel the most pressure on your feet. Is it on your heels, toes, or arches.

I just don't see Rickie setting up over his toes, he looks really balanced to me..especially the split second before he takes it away. He does a slight compression move in the takeaway, but eh..whatever, we'll agree to disagree. Cheers.

Burner

New
Jwat,

You are raising up at the very end of your back swing due to your perceived need to "gorilla" the ball from the beginning of the start down. In other words, you are trying to add a little bit of extra ooomph and, hopefully, distance from the get go.

Swing smoothly from the top, not hard, and factor in the speed a little later.

Jwat

New
Jwat,

You are raising up at the very end of your back swing due to your perceived need to "gorilla" the ball from the beginning of the start down. In other words, you are trying to add a little bit of extra ooomph and, hopefully, distance from the get go.

Swing smoothly from the top, not hard, and factor in the speed a little later.

Any suggestions on how or why I do the "gorilla move". The only thing that I think is postive out of that move is it gets the club somewhat across the line which helps me swing a little more left on the downswing.

Burner

New
Any suggestions on how or why I do the "gorilla move". The only thing that I think is postive out of that move is it gets the club somewhat across the line which helps me swing a little more left on the downswing.

Jwat,

Don't think there are any positives in the move at all. I am still prone to do the same when looking to hit the snot out of the ball and constantly have to guard against it.

Trying to give it everything from the get go is the problem. As you observe, it tends to pull you more upright in stance and across the line at the end of the back swing. Both have to be compensated for on the down swing.

My fix was to work on a gaining feeling of starting the down swing before I finish the back swing.

What only feels like a half swing is usually more than enough for anybody - even Gorillas. :D

Precisely what Michael Jacobs had me doing. Call it a 3/4 backswing with the irons. It's where a lot of the Pro's stop their backswing. It was nothing I didn't know already, but it really helps to have that expert their talking you through it and giving you instant feed back.

I have played maybe 3 rounds since my lesson. Can't do it every time, but iron striking has really improved when I manage to restrain my backswing.

The old drill we used to do years ago was simple. One guy watches and the other calls out his feeling as to his backswing length. Invariably feel is shorter than actual.

Jwat

New
Jwat,

Don't think there are any positives in the move at all. I am still prone to do the same when looking to hit the snot out of the ball and constantly have to guard against it.

Trying to give it everything from the get go is the problem. As you observe, it tends to pull you more upright in stance and across the line at the end of the back swing. Both have to be compensated for on the down swing.

My fix was to work on a gaining feeling of starting the down swing before I finish the back swing.

What only feels like a half swing is usually more than enough for anybody - even Gorillas. :D

I know that the move for me isn't a trigger to get more out of my swing, but merely the LCT mixed with a terrible turn. When I played today I really focused on keeping my spine angle more and struck the ball pretty solid. I feel like I do start the downswing during my backswing but unconsiously. Maybe I need to be thinking start the downswing a little sooner like you are saying. I am willing to try anything.

Precisely what Michael Jacobs had me doing. Call it a 3/4 backswing with the irons. It's where a lot of the Pro's stop their backswing. It was nothing I didn't know already, but it really helps to have that expert their talking you through it and giving you instant feed back.

I have played maybe 3 rounds since my lesson. Can't do it every time, but iron striking has really improved when I manage to restrain my backswing.

The old drill we used to do years ago was simple. One guy watches and the other calls out his feeling as to his backswing length. Invariably feel is shorter than actual.

So where are your misses at with the 3/4 backswing? For me I hit its skinny everytime I shorten my swing. Just like when I move the ball back in my stance for a low shot I hit it higher. I think I am just mentally/physically challenged when it comes to golf.

When I do it correctly, timing wise, and do everything else in sequence, I end up with crisp shots. My mental image is Steve Stricker. I miss when I apply too much pressure at the beginning of the downswing. Those misses are generally pulls. Of course, my misses could be entirely different than yours.

We worked on getting my vertical swing plane to be flatter, "Fitting it in or Slotting it". That is the most difficult adjustment. When I can let it happen, the swing becomes, seemingly, effortless.

Status
Not open for further replies.