Ben Hogan's REAL Secret is...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by ej20

I don't think Hogan was as long as some people here make him out to be.In his book,The Five Fundamentals,he hit 2 iron from 200y at the 1950 Open at Merion.Not much diff in distance with irons back then and now,maybe 15y with the balls.I also read somewhere that he hit Driver,3 iron,pw at the 490y 13th Augusta before they lengthened it.Tiger hit Driver,8 iron.

The 2 iron of hogan's day was more like the 4 iron of today (loft wise.) He also did with with a wound golf ball that probably spun a lot more than the balls do today.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by bantamben1

i say lets start a foundation to have the little guy corey pavin to play the big guy david duval my money is on corey
David would not be considered a "good big guy" anymore.How about if they played when they were BOTH at their best?

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

I don't think Hogan was as long as some people here make him out to be.In his book,The Five Fundamentals,he hit 2 iron from 200y at the 1950 Open at Merion.Not much diff in distance with irons back then and now,maybe 15y with the balls.I also read somewhere that he hit Driver,3 iron,pw at the 490y 13th Augusta before they lengthened it.Tiger hit Driver,8 iron.

The 2 iron of hogan's day was more like the 4 iron of today (loft wise.) He also did with with a wound golf ball that probably spun a lot more than the balls do today.
Agreed.But let's get more facts straight.Hogan I believe also used LONGER shafts than usual.

EJ, are you trying to yank our chains? ok, lets get the facts straight and do the math 200 yards, + 15 for the ball, now 4 iron loft instead of 2 iron so we should add 30 yards for that, that totals 245. one inch longer shaft equals about 3 mph, 1 mph equals about 2.5 yards so one inch adds 7.5 yards. 245-7.5=237.5, is that long enough for you? DOnt forget the launch monitors the pros use today to maximize ball spin rates and club shafts. However, I still think you are just messing with us and dont really believe what you are saying.

ej20

New
I have never seen Hogan play or hit balls so obviously it's only my opinion.But from everything that I've read he's not exceptionally long.I would love to have an insiders take on this.

That 2 iron Hogan hit didnt carry all the way.It bounced on the front edge of the green and it was nuked.He said it was the best shot he hit all tournament.

And Hogan's 4 iron would have been delofted to a 2 iron anyway.I don't think many players today deloft that much,perhaps Parnevick.

I have no doubt Hogan would have often beaten today's best esp. on U.S. Open type of courses. Unfortunately, today's golf is oriented towards distance & the hardest thing to do (accuracy) is at a lower premium.

I have never seen Hogan play or hit balls so obviously it's only my opinion.But from everything that I've read he's not exceptionally long.I would love to have an insiders take on this.

That 2 iron Hogan hit didnt carry all the way.It bounced on the front edge of the green and it was nuked.He said it was the best shot he hit all tournament.

And Hogan's 4 iron would have been delofted to a 2 iron anyway.I don't think many players today deloft that much,perhaps Parnevick.

Yeah, I guess hogan is the only pro who has forward shaft lean

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by shootin4par

Yeah, I guess hogan is the only pro who has forward shaft lean
Delofting is when you arch your left wrist through impact.Shaft lean has nothing to do with delofting.You can have shaft lean with a flat left wrist.It's even possible to have forward shaft lean with a slightly bent left wrist.

My point is not to put Hogan down as a short hitter.He was probably long for his time.But todays tour have far bigger athletes and more of them.But I agree he would have been straighter and more consistent than any of them.

Sometimes it seems that people think Mr. Hogan was a hacker (just like the rest of us) until he found his "secret" and dug his stroke "out of the dirt". The fact is that he was a darned good golfer, a professional, who just wasn't beating the rest of the guys out on the tour.

This article, although presumably simplified a bit, probably describes pretty well his "secret" and how he stumbled onto it. It also makes (what I consider to be) a good point, which is that his "secret" didn't change him from a hacker into a champion - it "...took more than one stroke a round off his score", and that was enough to allow him to start beating the guys he was losing to before.

http://www.benhogan.com/legacy/book/chap2.html

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by rwh

Shaft lean has nothing to do with delofting.

How can you deloft the clubface without a forward leaning shaft?
That is not the point.Of course you need forward shaft lean to deloft the clubface.The more you arch your left wrist,the more shaft lean and deloft you get,which is what Hogan did.Not everyone delofts as much as Hogan and just because other pros had forward lean doesn't mean they delofted the same amount.Even with a flat left wrist there will be some forward shaft lean,unless you play the ball off your left toe.

Garth

New
Hogan hit the ball 280 or more when he wanted to. I'd like to see you hit one 250 using the same equipment. If he were on tour today, he would not be the longest, but he would be ahead of the tour average. That = long.

ej20

New
quote:Originally posted by Garth

Hogan hit the ball 280 or more when he wanted to. I'd like to see you hit one 250 using the same equipment. If he were on tour today, he would not be the longest, but he would be ahead of the tour average. That = long.
You know,I of all posters on this forum,would most love to believe that,really.

The main reason I admire Hogan is because we are the same weight and height.:)Although,unfortunately for me that is the only similarity.

quote:Originally posted by Garth

Whatever his length off the tee, at least he'd be in the fairway. I like what he said about preparing for the 1953 British Open: "I didn't practice getting out of the gorse or heather because I figured anyone who would get into it frequently wouldn't have a chance anyway."

http://www.benhogan.com/legacy/book/chap3.html

Hogan was the embodiment of practicing it into feel and playing it into dependability (3-B). I personally don't think his particular technical nuances were the key.

<I personally don't think his particular technical nuances were the key.>

If Hogan departed from total accuracy of swing mechanics, he would be subject to the consequences just as any other mortal & the golf ball would swiftly say so.

Hogan was mentally stronger than his competition.
He knew it.
They knew it.
...and he knew that they knew it.

He could out work them, out think them, and intimidate them, especially when "under the gun".

Edge to Hogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.