Crushed the ball today with this move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a lesson with Brian last Saturday that is really starting to pay dividends. We worked a lot on hitting the box, which as most of you already know is putting the entire club shaft on the box at impact.

What I focused on today, in addition to putting the club shaft on the box, was to "not" allow my wrists to release until the handle of the club was past my left leg. I honestly couldn't hear the swoosh until the club was about the 5 o'clock position.

Talk about compressing the ball with lag! Hopefully, I will be able to repeat this!

Anyone else use this as a swing thought?

Last edited:

Burner

New
c21heel said:
I had a lesson with Brian last Saturday that is really starting to pay dividends. We worked a lot on hitting the box, which as most of you already know is putting the entire club shaft on the box at impact.

What I focused on today, in addition to putting the club shaft on the box, was to "not" allow my wrists to release until the handle of the club was past my left leg. I honestly couldn't hear the swoosh until the club was about the 5 o'clock position.

Talk about compressing the ball with lag! Hopefully, I will be able to repeat this!

Hi c21,

Sorry to appear ignorant, or critical of your post - which is not my intention - but I am having difficulty in relating to your clock face orientation.

5 O'Clock? In order for me to see that position as you do, where is 12 and where is 6 as you look straight down between your feet, target to your left?

hcw

New
c21heel said:

don't use it, but it sounds interesting...a couple of questions: 1) which part of the handle?...2) i'm assuming your "clockface" is as if an observer were watching you swing "face-on"?

-hcw

ps-hope there are no ill effects from your travel to a dark blue land?:)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
What he is talking about is where he is aiming his hands from his view, the golfer's view.

When you are correctly posed at impact and the club is soled on the leading edge the hands will appear left of your left shoe.

When he talks about the "5 o clock swoosh" he means he is trying to hear the maximum acceleration of the clubhead down at the ball which is 5 o'clock, middle of the feetish.

hcw, that would be correct. And, Kentucky is not too bad, but I always wear my Tar Heel hat when I get a lesson from Brian:)!

Burner, using a clock as an image, my feet would be six o'clock. Halfway back on the backswing would by nine o'clock and halfway through on the forward swing would be three o'clock. This would of course make my head twelve o'clock.

The image of a clock has helped me visualize how to delay the release. I was warming up today and noticed that my swish was occurring at about seven o'clock, which coincides with my slight flip through the hitting area. I now try to swing the grip end of the club past my left leg before I release. This has moved the swish to five o'clock.

I work best with visuals, so hopefully I can retain this feel!

hcw

New
jim_0068 said:
What he is talking about is where he is aiming his hands from his view, the golfer's view.

When you are correctly posed at impact and the club is soled on the leading edge the hands will appear left of your left shoe.

When he talks about the "5 o clock swoosh" he means he is trying to hear the maximum acceleration of the clubhead down at the ball which is 5 o'clock, middle of the feetish.

jim, i think we are all pretty much on the same page...but i'd like to ask again what i asked in the aiming point thread (but didn't get an answer), namely do the hands being left of the left shoe depend on how you position the ball (ie single ball position/vary stance vs vary ball position/single stance)?...thanks!

-hcw

ps-i'm not trolling, just trying to improve (esp my set up:)

jerry, I'll try. Place or imagine a cardboard box (the taller, the better) just outside your left foot and inline with your downswing (for right-handed golfers). Now rehearse your impact position with the entire shaft touching the box. What you will find is that folks who release early, the upper portion of the shaft will not touch the box.

If the entire shaft touches the box at impact, your hands will be in front of the clubhead.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
hcw said:
jim, i think we are all pretty much on the same page...but i'd like to ask again what i asked in the aiming point thread (but didn't get an answer), namely do the hands being left of the left shoe depend on how you position the ball (ie single ball position/vary stance vs vary ball position/single stance)?...thanks!

-hcw

ps-i'm not trolling, just trying to improve (esp my set up:)

I do aiming point the "ben doyle" way which in the book is actually "impact hand location." Aiming point is actually where you're directing the lag pressure which can be anywhere, it's semantics really. I have much more success with "impact hand location" than i ever do aiming point.

Anyway, to determine your impact hand location you need to:

- sole the club on the LEADING EDGE. Not the bounce! So many people can't believe how far foward the shaft leans when i actually put them on the leading edge.

- put your hands in your "impact hand location"

- put your body into an "impact fix"

- then put the ball in a position so that you're body can do what you just posed. It might be foward or it might be back. A lot of it will be deteremined by flexibility and stance width

hcw

New
jim_0068 said:
I do aiming point the "ben doyle" way which in the book is actually "impact hand location." Aiming point is actually where you're directing the lag pressure which can be anywhere, it's semantics really. I have much more success with "impact hand location" than i ever do aiming point.

i like this idea!

jim_0068 said:
Anyway, to determine your impact hand location you need to:

- sole the club on the LEADING EDGE. Not the bounce! So many people can't believe how far foward the shaft leans when i actually put them on the leading edge.

- put your hands in your "impact hand location"

- put your body into an "impact fix"

- then put the ball in a position so that you're body can do what you just posed. It might be foward or it might be back. A lot of it will be deteremined by flexibility and stance width

thanks for the info!...i think i see something now, ie that if you vary the stance and/or ball position you can get the hands where they need to be with some combo...if i may, one more thing: the above sounds like it's definitely for irons, does the "soling" part differ for drivers/fairway woods?

-hcw

Jim, I think by using the clock as a reference, it has helped me with the same concept of using hand locations versus aiming point. Two concepts that I can't seem to figure out are both aiming point and straight line delivery path.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
hcw said:
i like this idea!

thanks for the info!...i think i see something now, ie that if you vary the stance and/or ball position you can get the hands where they need to be with some combo...if i may, one more thing: the above sounds like it's definitely for irons, does the "soling" part differ for drivers/fairway woods?

-hcw

Yes, however off the turf you should still take some kind of divot with a fariway wood. It will be shallow but it should be something. Also address it more off the toe

Burner

New
c21heel said:
hcw, that would be correct. And, Kentucky is not too bad, but I always wear my Tar Heel hat when I get a lesson from Brian:)!

Burner, using a clock as an image, my feet would be six o'clock. Halfway back on the backswing would by nine o'clock and halfway through on the forward swing would be three o'clock. This would of course make my head twelve o'clock.

The image of a clock has helped me visualize how to delay the release. I was warming up today and noticed that my swish was occurring at about seven o'clock, which coincides with my slight flip through the hitting area. I now try to swing the grip end of the club past my left leg before I release. This has moved the swish to five o'clock.

I work best with visuals, so hopefully I can retain this feel!

Gotcha. Thanks.

Impact Hand Location vs Aiming Point

Jim, what's the main difference between the Impact Hand Location procedure and the Aiming Point procedure (answer can be found in the book)?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tong...i'm not well "versed" in quoting stuff in the book.

All i know is that Ben's idea of aiming point and how Brian shows it in Confessions of a Former Flipper is what Homer called "Impact Hand Location." This is where the golfer's hands are to be at impact.

However that isn't your "aiming point." Aiming point is where you are either directing the thrust (hitting) or aiming the thrust (swinging). Your aiming point is usually at the ball. However i don't like this idea because for higher handicappers it will lead to more flipping imo.

Lynn has a really nice explanation on it at his site. I believe the same poster who posted the question here did over there as well.

jim_0068 said:
Aiming point is where you are either directing the thrust (hitting) or aiming the thrust (swinging). Your aiming point is usually at the ball. However i don't like this idea because for higher handicappers it will lead to more flipping imo.

Correctomundo. Aiming hands at the ball ingrained a flipping motion in my case.

What if one where to aim their hands beyond the ball...say outside the left foot on the downswing? Would this be impact hands?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
c21heel said:
What if one where to aim their hands beyond the ball...say outside the left foot on the downswing? Would this be impact hands?

Yes, from the golfers view.

I have a drill that i have students do:

i put their ball in their normal ball position. Then i get their hands in the proper "impact hand location." Then i put another ball parallel to THEIR VIEW of their impact hand location that is away from the ball but parallel to it. Then i just tell them to get their hands to the other ball and not worry about the ball they are going to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.