Crushed the ball today with this move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delivery procedure must match Release Type

jim_0068 said:
Tong...i'm not well "versed" in quoting stuff in the book.

All i know is that Ben's idea of aiming point and how Brian shows it in Confessions of a Former Flipper is what Homer called "Impact Hand Location." This is where the golfer's hands are to be at impact.

However that isn't your "aiming point." Aiming point is where you are either directing the thrust (hitting) or aiming the thrust (swinging). Your aiming point is usually at the ball. However i don't like this idea because for higher handicappers it will lead to more flipping imo.
Jim, I know you are more interested in immediate improvement rather than the more abstract stuff, but I think this is quite interesting (and important).

The main difference between the two (Aiming Point vs Impact Hand Location) is the Release Type you want to use. For an Automatic Release (which is needed for Maximum Trigger Delay), you must use the Aiming Point procedure. For a Non-Automatic Release (you could use this with a Snap Release), you can use the Impact Hand Location procedure. There's a "starting to release" sensation with the Non-Automatic, but not with the Automatic Release.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
tongzilla said:
Jim, I know you are more interested in immediate improvement rather than the more abstract stuff, but I think this is quite interesting (and important).

The main difference between the two (Aiming Point vs Impact Hand Location) is the Release Type you want to use. For an Automatic Release (which is needed for Maximum Trigger Delay), you must use the Aiming Point procedure. For a Non-Automatic Release (you could use this with a Snap Release), you can use the Impact Hand Location procedure. There's a "starting to release" sensation with the Non-Automatic, but not with the Automatic Release.

Two things:

1) i'm all for immediate and long term improvement. I never just "fix" a student for the now, i try and get them to start doing something they will need to do later and if they over do it (like most will) you just take it away a little.

2) I use impact hand location for my "aiming point" and i cannot confirm just yet that i use MTD (pretty sure i do though) and my release is automatic. I don't have a non-auto trigger for the release and i don't also have the "starting to release" sensation. I just aim my hands to my impact hand location and the release automatically happens. IMO if i didn't, i wouldn't be able to get as much delay as i do.

jim_0068 said:
Two things:

1) i'm all for immediate and long term improvement. I never just "fix" a student for the now, i try and get them to start doing something they will need to do later and if they over do it (like most will) you just take it away a little.

2) I use impact hand location for my "aiming point" and i cannot confirm just yet that i use MTD (pretty sure i do though) and my release is automatic. I don't have a non-auto trigger for the release and i don't also have the "starting to release" sensation. I just aim my hands to my impact hand location and the release automatically happens. IMO if i didn't, i wouldn't be able to get as much delay as i do.
That's what I do. Get my hands to the impact location. When I focused on the aiming point I started to flip for some reason. Release is not even thought of-just get those hands to the spot and ball go far and straight.

bts

New
c21heel said:
hcw, that would be correct. And, Kentucky is not too bad, but I always wear my Tar Heel hat when I get a lesson from Brian:)!

Burner, using a clock as an image, my feet would be six o'clock. Halfway back on the backswing would by nine o'clock and halfway through on the forward swing would be three o'clock. This would of course make my head twelve o'clock.

The image of a clock has helped me visualize how to delay the release. I was warming up today and noticed that my swish was occurring at about seven o'clock, which coincides with my slight flip through the hitting area. I now try to swing the grip end of the club past my left leg before I release. This has moved the swish to five o'clock.

I work best with visuals, so hopefully I can retain this feel!
"delayed release" (the effect/incidence) is not the result of "delaying the release", but "no (or resist/prevent/forget about the) release" (the cause/intent).

BTW, what is the principle behind the "crushing the ball as a result of hitting the box"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.