d-plane/clubface clarificaton, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Impact does not hinge on it!

I spent too many hours executing hinge actions on an inclined plane, sustaining a lag pressure point! I agree that intent is why it appeared to work from time to time (especially a "vertical hinge action" around the greens) Never made sense to me, but I was enjoying the cool-aid at the time:p

VJ

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWOE7BIhdiw[/media]

Has anyone seen this? Vijah has figured a thing or two out!;) I was curious about something: I noticed that Vijay likes to address it on the "heel." TGM taught me to addess it towards the toe for an on-center impact. By addressing it on what appears to be the heel is Vijay in essence aligning the face to the target AND the head (path) to a rotated left plane line? Seems like a great drill to follow. Any thoughts? I love the Big Fijian!

Me thinks!

It just occured to me that he is obviously not starting the ball "straight" or on the line of the umbrella. So it would seem that his target line is also slightly left of the umbrella. i guess this is for an uber-outward path. Perhaps angling the umbrella toward the target will prevent a ball/umbrella collision while still permitting a club head/umbrella collision?

If you drew a curved line from an overhead view that represented the path/arc through the impact area, then the clubface needs to be perpendicular to this line at all points (to hit a straight shot, hittting up or down on it).

Sort of like how the hands of a clock are always perpendicular to the outside edge of the clock, except the swing arc is elliptical shaped and not perfectly round.

This reads to me like in order to hit a wedge straight we should aim left and hit a straight push and to hit a driver straight we should aim right and hit a dead pull. Is this what you mean? If I understand what you are describing correctly, these shot types are the natural result of attacking the ball at points other than the bottom of the inclined plane with a face square to the inclined plane.

BTW, first post here. Been reading and watching videos on this site on/off for some months now. I'm just really now starting to incorporate D Plane concepts into my swing. I'm a recovering TGM reader taking a fresh look at the physics of golf.

natep

New
Basically yes, dead straight push or dead straight pull relative to where the bottom of the arc (horizontal plane line) is pointing.

Here's an illustration of a straight shot with an iron, which contacts the ball before low point:

[media]http://johngrahamgolf.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/D-Plane-iron-impact-for-straight-shot.jpg[/media]

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

dbl

New
Man I still got troubles with some of that language. When I set up my plane line adjusted leftward and put the face at the target and then swing...it does not feel like a push to me.

If someone had told me to setup left and hit a push, I would in the downswing change my club's "arc" and path such that my gross path was directed at the target and the resultant force (true path) would wind up way to the right.

However....I do understand that for other people some words and images may help them differently than I think or feel, so as long as the ball does what you want, who cares...I guess?

p.s. I still don't believe the clubhead has to be perpendicular to the red arc in that picture all along the swing.

Nate's basically saying the heck with HSP, VSP and AoA, I always know where my true path is and I will have it going at the target for a straight shot, thank you very much.

Basically yes, dead straight push or dead straight pull relative to where the bottom of the arc (horizontal plane line) is pointing.

Here's an illustration of a straight shot with an iron, which contacts the ball before low point:

[media]http://johngrahamgolf.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/D-Plane-iron-impact-for-straight-shot.jpg[/media]

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks, there is great discussion here. Glad to be a new part of it.

Yes this makes sense to me. I've been confused about how to artificially get the clubface aimed at the target while swinging in another direction. I've tried altering my grips and/or holding off the clubface but the results were less than stellar. Then it occurred to me that the face is pointing to the right already in a normal wedge swing due to the steep angle and as long as I remember to hit down and aim left then all should be well. Your post confirmed (in more detail) what I was vaguely thinking could be the case.

In order for this to work, you'd need a consistent angle of attack so that's probably a good area to focus on at the range.

natep

New
Did you watch this video? It does a great job of explaining this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepMzddHpas[/media]

Yes I did watch that video. For some reason I took away from it that I had to manually have my swing and clubface at odds in order to hit it straight instead of this just happening with a good swing.

For years my best drives were slight pulls and I could never figure out what I was doing wrong. The fact was that those were correct. I was punishing myself for doing it right.

Looking at my shelf of golf books makes me cringe. They are almost universally wrong in terms of setup and ball striking goals.

natep

New
Yes, me too. I would aim straight down the fairway and drive it straight down the left side and always thought I was over the top or something.

Yes, me too. I would aim straight down the fairway and drive it straight down the left side and always thought I was over the top or something.

Exactly, then to "fix" this I kept changing my swing to a super inside attack which led to all kinds of problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.