golfer's elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else ever get this in his trail arm? Suggestions on treatment? I've been out 3 weeks now without much improvement.

Judging by your excellent grammatical use of 'his' instead of 'their', I'll assume you are also literal about it being the inside of the elbow and not the outside, or tennis elbow. Yes, I've had it. While you are healing, try letting your right hand off the club at impact the way baseball players do. After you are healed, youtube Tom House pitching drills and relate them to golf to strengthen that area. Meanwhile, you might play really nice golf with the let go move. I've seen it many times.

hp12c

New
Ive had it baaad, took 90days off golf no swinging nothing to do with swinging anything. I massaged the area that was tender a lot. After the 90 days it was a little tender after I was chipping and pitching only for a month and then it slowly went away. Im good now.

Had it all through college baseball in my throwing arm, took about 6 months after I stopped playing baseball to go away. Thankfully, no big flare ups since. Billy's advice sounds real good.

You want to rest this injury. Anti-inflamatories are a good idea. If you rest it enough, cortisone might be avoided. Let me give you a worst case scenario. I'm 3 elbow surgeries in and my right pronator and wrist flexor eventually became so damaged (soft and spongy instead of stringy/grainy) that my orthopedic surgeon removed them from their original attachment point so that they could slide wristward and re-establish a new attachment point. This stops the pain in about 90% of patients, but weakens the arm since the muscles become shorter. I'm in the 10% group. The good news is that the pain is more manageble now. In fact, it is less of an issue than the pain in my left wrist which has also had 3 surgeries on it, but needs more.

I only had a mild case of the golfers elbow but this device, the Band-it helped me.
dW4QbOuBumwuyxqozIt_QS6Iyo2B9Y0CuSDXnsMxtC8gfMr-16c9D1sddBQD0GrcuTZoU5FD3-O3muaAKMZ-DKUKGkXQspeVATKZ6xDaefzQUxFG6I3SDEWIWzNPI5A__L9u0cjlybakkZNxw-jLLRqFnu859Od2W0KphtzvEOC_qBYdQdWk-i0KTJA6a9dsWcikHs4mmQ

Bill,

I grade a lot of college essays and their for his/one has been engrained so deeply into the "brains" of our youth, who have been mistakenly taught to fear appearing less than gender neutral more than they fear bad grammar, that I sometimes fear for the future of our country, or at least the mother tongue. I'm old enough to have escaped that indoctrination, which also means I'm old enough to be falling apart. In any case, yes, it is the inside bottom of the elbow that's killing me. Thanks for the House drills. I take it you used the one's where he's doing a static push up against the wall with the throwing arm and knee?

I've been doing the motrin, which must help somewhat as it hurts even more when I go off it. And I'm wearing a Band-It as I type, although by doctor told me it works much better for tennis elbow than golfer's.

Maybe the silver lining is some improvement in putting, since that's about all I can now do.

Not being one to let his (for Bill :)) lack of medical training discourage him from suggesting prescription drugs, give this a shot...

IMG_0444.jpg

Judging by your excellent grammatical use of 'his' instead of 'their', I'll assume you are also literal about it being the inside of the elbow and not the outside, or tennis elbow. Yes, I've had it. While you are healing, try letting your right hand off the club at impact the way baseball players do. After you are healed, youtube Tom House pitching drills and relate them to golf to strengthen that area. Meanwhile, you might play really nice golf with the let go move. I've seen it many times.

Seems like a nice drill in its own right for keeping the shaft lined up with the left arm as per Brian's Stricker video.

Epicondylits is the name for what you have and it needs a shot of cortisone. Works wonders instantly

Thats a bit extreme at the moment, I periodically get golfers elbow- although not from golf. Use ice, physio and ibuprofen, naproxen or diclofenac. Cortisone injections are hit and miss, Ive had them and they have done nothing.

Thats a bit extreme at the moment, I periodically get golfers elbow- although not from golf. Use ice, physio and ibuprofen, naproxen or diclofenac. Cortisone injections are hit and miss, Ive had them and they have done nothing.

Not to mention the damage it does to the surrounding joint/tissues.

If you're the miss, Im the hit.

I had medial (inside) epicondylitis in my right elbow for over 8 years before it finally went away (had 3 cortisone shots, acupuncture, physical therapy). I've also had low grade lateral (outside) epicondylitis in my left elbow for 8 years (still have it). I also have a new case of high grade lateral epicondylitis in my right elbow for the last 8 months.

Cortisone does not heal, it only masks the pain and you risk further injuring the elbow. I've had 4 cortsone shots (3 in one elbow and 1 in another). The first shot in each worked, but were only temporary. Cortisone is now thought to actually degenerate tissue. Cortisone is a powerful anti inflammatory and what they're discovering is that many cases thought to be tendonitis are actually tendonosis (or chronic tendonitis with no inflammation) I won't be getting anymore cortisone shots.

Tendons are like ropes and when they get over-used they begin to fray or tear. The body tries to repair the tendon, but because of limited blood supply in the area it takes a long time. So, people continue with their activity and the body eventually gives up and the cells begin to die. These micro tears turn into diseased tissue (scar tissue) and this is the cause of the pain in most cases.

Time will heal this in most cases (up to 85%), but again it takes a long time and you can't do your activity until it is healed or risk it becoming chronic. Several months or years in many cases depending on the injury and how quickly you heal as an individual.

About 3 years ago they discovered that eccentric excercises seem to help. The thought is the loading of the tendon while in a lengthened state re-models the tendon with the good collagen tissue. A study was done using rubber flex bars and the excercise is called the Tyler Twist (named after the physical therapist who developed it).

Eccentric Wrist Extension ('Tyler twist') - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKGbqA9aNo

I started a thread awhile ago on a new procedure called the FAST procedure (Focused Aspiration of Scar Tissue). It was developed by doctors at the Mayo Clinic and the Emeritus Chief Orthopedic Surgeon Dr. Benard Morrey is the lead medical spokesperson for the procedure being marketed by Tenex Health.

It uses untrasound to target the diseased tissue (darker in color) and uses untrasonic energy (20,000 vibrations a second) to emulsify and remove the scar tissue (with a saline solution) without harming the health tissue. They use a probe the size of a tooth pick and the actual procedure where they're actually removing tissue is only a minute or two. The whole thing takes only about 15 minutes.

It's being marketed as extremely safe because of the minimally invasive nature of the procedure. You leave with a large bandaid and an ace bandage wrapped around your arm.

I had the FAST procedure done on June 26th. I had a lot of scar tissue and bone spurs. The doctor said he got ~ 80-85 percent of the bad tissue and much of the bone spurs. Mother nature takes over now and we'll see how it turns out.

It was only approved by the FDA last fall and as of early May they had done 1000 patients with over 90% success. I'm hoping I'm in that 90 percent group. Below is the website for Tenex Health and a You-Tube video of Dr. Morrey preforming the FAST procedure.

Tenex Health – Fast Procedure – fastprocedure.com: FAST procedure

FAST PROCEDURE-Complete procedure from diseased tissue v2 - YouTube

Last edited:
I had a bone chip in my ankle from a auto accident. The accident was in 1972 and by 1990 the pain had gotten too much to bear. Ortho said I'll operate and remove. Second opinion said, "ill try one shot of cortisone, let's see. In the last 22 years I have had not one bit of pain in the ankle. I am not advocating drugs, do what you want, Im just sharing MY experience, amd don't tell me it doesnt work. You can get lucky with Cortisone. I had another guy wanted to replace my knee 5 years ago. One shot and my knee is fine to this day. I am getting too old to worry about the LONG TERM effects of anything! And daily doses of anti inflammatory are as bad for the digestive track as the Cortisone is for my joints. If you can help naturally it's by far better I'm sure. But I had run my race with natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.