golfer's elbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the OCC health folks. She (my PT) perscribed me some cream like the one listed in the thread also a large rubber band to do some PT style exercise's and I had the steriod electro treatment it was gone after a month hasnt returned and I didnt stop playing; along with the brace thats shown in the thread which I only used while going through the PT treatments.

I did the rubber band exercises at home as well. She "my" PT also told me" if I wasn't going to stop then I needed to learn to swing the golf club the correct way." Hope this helps

I had a bone chip in my ankle from a auto accident. The accident was in 1972 and by 1990 the pain had gotten too much to bear. Ortho said I'll operate and remove. Second opinion said, "ill try one shot of cortisone, let's see. In the last 22 years I have had not one bit of pain in the ankle. I am not advocating drugs, do what you want, Im just sharing MY experience, amd don't tell me it doesnt work. You can get lucky with Cortisone. I had another guy wanted to replace my knee 5 years ago. One shot and my knee is fine to this day. I am getting too old to worry about the LONG TERM effects of anything! And daily doses of anti inflammatory are as bad for the digestive track as the Cortisone is for my joints. If you can help naturally it's by far better I'm sure. But I had run my race with natural.

Cortisone can and does work for many. I would recommend cortisone for anyone who has more static (at rest) pain than they can tolerate. However, the studies show that for many cases of epicondylitis there is no inflammation. For golfers most likely the injury is not an acute injury. Rather it's an over-use injury and the degeneration of tissue has already been going on for awhile.

My last experience with cortisone went like this. Both (lateral side) elbows felt very fatigued in October, but instead of resting them I played through it. Shortly after that I couldn't swing without pain in both elbows. Stopped playing and gave them complete rest for two weeks. Discovered the Tyler Twist eccentric excercise and started doing them everyday.

6 weeks later the left elbow went back to being a very low grade epicondylitis, just sore to the touch. The new case of epicondylitis in the right elbow didn't respond as well. I got a cortisone shot. Had a very bad case of cortisone flare in which the first few days the arm is extemely painful. Had to go on a pain killer for a few days just to be able to sleep. It felt like a broken arm (couldn't move it without extreme pain).

Cortisone flare is thought to be a good sign that it will work and that was the case with me. A week later the pain was gone. However, I knew I had to re-hab the injury still. Did eccentric exercises and stretching along with myofacial massage for an additional 8 weeks before returning to golf. I was fine for ~ 4 months and then it started to come back. Stopped playing on June 11th.

Again, I had the FAST procedure done on June 26th and was told that it would be 3 months before returning to golf because of the amount of scar tissue / bone spurs I had. Time will tell if it's going to work.

Everyone is different. I know golfers who got it and returned to playing in a couple of weeks. And others who it took 6 months to a year and longer. Epicondylitis / tendonosis has been my friend for the last 9 years. Mine for the most part was manageable for most of those years (just sore to the touch).

My wife got it from lifting weights. She stopped lifting weights and it went away in a couple of months. My primary care doctor got it from lifting weights also. He gave himself a cortisone shot after 5 weeks and it worked for him.

Again, it can become a chronic issue. Anyone can get it and form has little to do with it IMO. Julie Inkster, Tim Clark and Mike Weir had surgery for their elbow problems. Surgery should be the last resort IMO.

Last edited:
I had golfer's elbows (both elbows) for nearly 2 years. After doing 3 simple exercises suggested by Pete Egoscue I was pain free within 2 weeks and have remained pain free for 10 years. I beat countless balls off mats and lift weights.

Egoscue believes that shoulders and back out of alignment will affect the elbows. So his exercises work on fixing the shoulder and back alignments that cause the imbalances in the elbows. Just as a tire wears out quickly when a car is out of alignment your elbows can be affected when your body is out of alignment. It seems that most people are looking to patch the tires and not fix the alignment.

I had golfer's elbows (both elbows) for nearly 2 years. After doing 3 simple exercises suggested by Pete Egoscue I was pain free within 2 weeks and have remained pain free for 10 years. I beat countless balls off mats and lift weights.

Egoscue believes that shoulders and back out of alignment will affect the elbows. So his exercises work on fixing the shoulder and back alignments that cause the imbalances in the elbows. Just as a tire wears out quickly when a car is out of alignment your elbows can be affected when your body is out of alignment. It seems that most people are looking to patch the tires and not fix the alignment.

Andy,
What Egoscue book did you find these in. He's got a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.