Health and Fitness, Food and Physical Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew of websites that is as pure as this one, that relates to -

1. physical fitness

AND

2. maintain optimal health thru food

My goal is to really find information that separates the fluff from pure information. I often log into this site because of the purity of the information it offers. I want to do the same for the categories above. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry if this is unrelated to this site.

patty

New
Off topic but a fitter golfer is a better golfer...

so the best Forum which has good fitness, and Diet info is

John Stone Fitness

IMO do a search on google !!

Patty

eat foods that are natural with no additives, preservative, hormones, pesticides, etc..... Non processed foods, make your own food, be carefull of what you cook in, stainless steel and glass are two good choices. drinkig too much during meals will hinder your digestion power because it dilutes the digestive juices that are needed to break down the food, not to break down the liquids. 8 ounces of water during a meal might be good enough. Soime people would go so far as to recommend abstaining from meat. They would say the proof that we were not meant to eat meat is evidenced by our tooth structure, not to mention the adverse effects eating meat has on the environment.

Last edited:
Off topic but a fitter golfer is a better golfer...

so the best Forum which has good fitness, and Diet info is

John Stone Fitness

Seconded. Can get a little intimidating in there though, with all the discussion. Kind of like this forum :D

I wanted to ask if anyone knew of websites that is as pure as this one, that relates to -

1. physical fitness

AND

2. maintain optimal health thru food

Nope - don't really know one site that I would compare as far as depth of info and purity-- for the price :D

Many fitness individuals have to make a name for themselves so they quickly get into a "my way is the only way." Therefore I find it good to have 3-5 sites I've got some links @ work I'll put in come Monday but I don't know of ONE place.

If you happened to catch the interview with Tiger regarding his workout routine (fairly sparse on info) http://www.mensfitness.com/Tiger Woods/exclusives/185

the core message (sorry :rolleyes: ) is that Tiger really likes to exercise- there is no secret formula other than he has worked out about 6 days a week since he was a late teenager. Anyone that does that with a half decent program will sooner or later get in shape. Then you don't stop-- but continue to exercise for the rest of your life.

Some basic recommendations- Purchase "Eat Move and Be healthy" by Paul Chek - it's a great overview of eating well and basic exercises. I certainly recommend it as one for your library
his site http://www.chekinstitute.com/

another site I like http://forums.delphiforums.com/golfspeed/ - esp discussing the use of chains to help with clubhead speed which I like but they will often get into some interesting training questions.

There are many many more - As I mentioned I can put a few more links come Monday.

Chris Sturgess

drinkig too much during meals will hinder your digestion power because it dilutes the digestive juices that are needed to break down the food, not to break down the liquids. 8 ounces of water during a meal might be good enough. Soime people would go so far as to recommend abstaining from meat. They would say the proof that we were not meant to eat meat is evidenced by our tooth structure, not to mention the adverse effects eating meat has on the environment.

Interesting with the diluting, never heard that.

The proof with the teeth don't you have backwards? What are canine teeth for?

BIG FAT LIE!?!

"It's a Big Fat Lie?"

"New York Times"!!

I wouldn't believe anything the NYT's printed even if they said the sky was blue.

Cheers!:D

Bronco Billy

JimCooper, continue to get your info from Fox "News", Rush, and your cultural criticism from Bernard Goldberg. Have fun in la la land!

Hi There

Left Vs Right..... I Thought it was Carbs Vs Protein..... I Didn't Know Atkins was a Liberal Diet..... I Thought Everybody but the Elite Hated The Atkins Diet.....

Cheers

*There are a lot of good sites out there. I currently work with John Berardi – I like his approach to training and nutrition. http://www.johnberardi.com/
John is really good. He focuses on getting you healthier, stronger and looking better. He has a really good article on golf nutrition and supplements to take during a round to help improve your performance.

*Paul Chek- His book that was mentioned above in previous post is very good. The book takes a well-rounded approach to overall health and nutrition.

*The Mercola Health and Wellness site is also a good reference for various health & wellness topics. http://www.mercola.com/

I have had very good luck with an A.R.T. Practitioner for shoulder and back pain. My range of motion has improved as well. http://www.activerelease.com.

Interesting with the diluting, never heard that.

The proof with the teeth don't you have backwards? What are canine teeth for?
Maybe we were meant to eat meat, maybe we werent, here is some food for thought on how the human body is made up in regards to eating meet. Maybe it is right, maybe wrong

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

Humans weren't meant to eat meat
When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores
Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits
Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)
Clearly if humans were meant to eat meat we wouldn't have so many crucial ingestive/digestive similarities with animals that are herbivores.

Meat and seafood putrefies within 4 hours after consumption and the remnants cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3-4 days or longer than if a person is constipated. Furthermore, the reaction of saliva in humans is more alkaline, whereas in the case of flesh-eating or preying animals, it is clearly acidic. The alkaline saliva does not act properly on meat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I thought about it (fitness sites/nutrition sites etc) I have many sites bookmarked but for golf usually just go to this site alone- so Big Kudo’s to Brian-

Previously mentioned

http://www.johnberardi.com/ have liked John since I first started seeing him on www.Testosterone.com – which is another good site although they do push their supplements a lot.

http://forums.jpfitness.com/ have looked at this briefly and it looks pretty good – Thanks jpvegas

http://www.mercola.com/ He has some good information regarding diet and health in general- goes into a lot of detail. And everyone should read the article http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/21/weston_price.htm but you may have to register to do so.

http://www.mytpi.com/ Good basic info but doesn’t get updated much (another reason Brian’s site is great)

http://www.menshealth.com is a good all around site that can have some useful information.

http://www.crossfit.com/ some various more intense exercise ideas.

What I found is that a lot of the exercise recommendations depend on your personality and goals. If you want to get in good shape and be generally fit then a site like Men’s health is really pretty good. If you are a bit more hard core or want to go harder with weights then crossfit or t-mag.com will suit you. Don’t think everyone needs to do it your way because everyone is a bit different with their exercise goals, capacity etc

Same with nutrition – the good thing with some well known diets – The zone, south beach diet, abs diet (men’s health) etc is that they begin to get you to make better food choices, generally eat healthier. However, shy away from any dogmatic diet because humans have always eaten many different foods-meat included. Again please read this http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/21/weston_price.htm
The general principles being things like
eat little to no processed food
Eat organic as much as possible
Lots of vegetables, some fruits
Etc

From Tongzilla- “IMHO, in terms of the golf swing, flexibility is number one priority”

Would not say that it is the number one priority at least not to seek it out on it’s own It really is a combination of strength and flexibility. I would not have said that 5-6 years ago but have just seen it too much where by improving someones strength you improve their functionality and often their flexibility. Let me give you a concrete example- someone has a tight I T Band (Iliotibial band ) maybe with some knee pain. Something is causing it to be tight- by doing a lot of ITBand stretches you may improve but you won’t fix the problem. In most cases there is some weakness in their side hip muscle (gluteus medius) and the ITB keeps tightening up because of the hip weakness. (there may also be some groin tightness) but the real fix has to involve some hip strengthening. Anyway, the point being do some movement, some strengthening and some flexibility work but don’t put all your eggs in this basket (flexibility).

As Jay R metioned ART is a very effective manual technique –I have been certified in ART since Jan 2001 and believe it is the most effective manual technique out there for improving ROM, helping injuries etc. (course I’m a little biased) ;)

Ideally every golfer should see an ART practitioner or some deep tissue therapist at least once (maybe at the beginning of the season) and this would be combined with exercise program stressing strength, flexibility etc during the golf swing. We would then go have a lesson with Brian and go out for a big organic steak (Tofu if you must) :D :D

The following is regarding Brian's question about food and is from Matthew Grace, author a "A WAY OUT"

Are you someone who is fed up with the barrage of information, mis-information and just plain lies concerning health and nutrition? How would you like to cut through all the nonsense and confusion and find a way to eat that makes complete sense and will provide you with all the health, energy and vitality you could ever wish for? Also, the quickest, safest and most cost effective way to lose weight and return your body back to its natural weight.

I know what you're thinking, "Yeah right, what's the catch and how much does it cost?" I don't blame you. I am not selling any powders, pills, or magic potions, just trying to re-mind you of what you already know. Deep beneath the morass of nutritional propaganda we have been bombarded with since our birth, health is really a simple issue.

There is no need for all the confusion that exists in the nutritional arena. The confusion is created by our relentless human compulsion for the "quick fix," and the "easy" way out. If you want things to be truly difficult in your life keep seeking the easy way.

Companies are falling over each other to come out with the latest, high tech supplements and "energy drinks." Many of which are extremely taxing to the body and devoid of any assimilable nutrients. Every year a new vitamin, mineral or amino acid is touted as the answer to all our health problems. It is an unfortunate human trait to try to get something for nothing, i.e. "exercise in a bottle," "a great body in just six minutes a day," "become a millionaire working just three hours a week," etc. This form of behavior simply creates more problems. It is a universal law that you cannot get something for nothing, yet the madness ensues.

Nature is a wonderful teacher rich with invaluable wisdom and guidance for our benefit. Nature is the outer equivalent of that little voice inside us that always knows what's right.

Let's get to the point. Cooking destroys food and all the intrinsic nourishment and vitality nature has provided for us. Enzymes are destroyed in any food cooked over 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Enzymes are responsible for an endless array of vital bodily functions. The destruction of these enzymes wreaks havoc on every metabolic, digestive and assimilative functions and a body completely devoid of these enzymes will soon perish. This is why any fever over 104 degrees can be fatal. Cooked foods create mucus and an acid condition in the body. The more cooked and processed a food is, the more difficult it is for the body to digest it. (Cooking also destroys and coagulates amino acids, the building blocks of protein.)

There are two types of enzymes -- endogenous and exogenous. Those that are already in the body and those that we get from outside the body in the foods we eat. If the body is devoid of exogenous enzymes it is forced to over-utilize its own reserves, taxing the pancreas and the intestines to supply more enzymes than they are designed to provide.

A diet devoid of live enzymes is also devastating to our glandular system that is responsible for regulating everything from our blood sugar to our appetite. The thyroid, pituitary, and pancreas are thrown into turmoil by an enzyme deficient diet and this condition is the beginning of many diseases humanity constantly suffers.

There are no stoves in nature and no animals eating their foods cooked. In fact it is plain to see the effects of our cooked and processed foods in our house pets who eat the same deranged cooked foods we do. These animals get all the same diseases and suffer the same infirmities as we do. Animals in their natural environment do not suffer from obesity, heart disease, constipation, skin disorders, osteoporosis, asthma, etc. Dr. F.M. Pottenger did an extensive study on the effects of cooked food vs. raw food on 900 cats and found as conclusively as possible that uncooked foods kept the animals in the finest health.

How much of the food you ate today was cooked, sugared, salted, spiced, dyed, preserved and or heavily processed? How many unprocessed, raw fruits and vegetables did you eat? Your level of health will directly reflect this proportion of cooked processed foods to that of the unrefined, uncooked foods. The more raw fruits and vegetables (seeds and nuts) you eat the more fit and healthy you will be.

For the next two weeks try an experiment: Eat AT LEAST 70% of your foods raw and untainted...mostly fruits (any seed bearing food). I promise you will see an immediate increase in your energy levels, improved digestion and elimination and overall improvement of your well being. Of course you are free to try doing 100%. Any cooked foods should be free of any unnecessary additives, food dyes and preservatives. Remember CLOSEST TO THE VINE IS DIVINE.

If you need any proof other than your own empirical evidence just take a look at many of the indigenous people we have known throughout history and the devastating effect that heavily a processed, "civilized diet" has had on their well-being. The peoples of the Caribbean, Hawaiian and South Pacific Islands, not to mention the American Indians, had sunshine, fresh air and fruits of all kinds as the standard of their diet, providing them with all the fitness, health and vigor they desired. Then the salt, sugar, white flour, caffeine and alcohol of "civilization" appeared. Not to mention all the heavily processed "fast foods."

There is a reason why there are over 300 different types of fruits on our plane. Instead of coffee, toast, cereals and danishes for breakfast try having some peaches, bananas, cantaloupe or just fresh (pasteurized juices are all cooked an acid forming) orange juice instead. For lunch why not have a big salad and or a fresh vegetable juice packed with live amino acids and undestroyed vitamins?

If convenience and time are an issue, there is nothing more convenient than having a bunch of bananas with you. Apples, oranges, grapes and peaches fit nicely in briefcases, handbags and lunch bags. Cantaloupes and honeydew melon come with their own built in bowls just slice and eat, nothing more convenient or time saving than that. You can also make your own trail mix out of your favorite (raw unsalted) nuts and (un-sulphured) raisins and dried fruits. The possibilities are endless and extremely rewarding.

If you make these efforts to eat at least 70% raw foods for the next two weeks I guarantee the following: More energy, clearer skin, improved digestion, loss of excess pounds, clearer thinking, and an overall feeling of improved health. I also would strongly suggest eliminating all dairy and animal products throughout this experiment. Remember you can always go back.

Matthew Grace is author of A WAY OUT - Dis-ease Deception and the Truth About Health

Chris Sturgess

Maybe we were meant to eat meat, maybe we werent, here is some food for thought on how the human body is made up in regards to eating meet. Maybe it is right, maybe wrong

http://www.celestialhealing.net/physicalveg3.htm

Humans weren't meant to eat meat
When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws
Herbivores: no claws
Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores
Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits
Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)
Clearly if humans were meant to eat meat we wouldn't have so many crucial ingestive/digestive similarities with animals that are herbivores.

Meat and seafood putrefies within 4 hours after consumption and the remnants cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3-4 days or longer than if a person is constipated. Furthermore, the reaction of saliva in humans is more alkaline, whereas in the case of flesh-eating or preying animals, it is clearly acidic. The alkaline saliva does not act properly on meat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still doesn't asnwer the question of why we have canine teeth. All carnivores have sharp pointed teeth. How many herbivores have a set of canine teeth? I think the answer is none. I haven't seen any cows with any pointed teeth. Why do we have four of them is my question if we are only herbivores. Interesting info though. I am of course not doubting that humans are easily suited to eat vegetables and fruits. But the canine tooth thing seems to be bring meat into the equation as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.