Is Augusta—set up for The Masters—a good test of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

New
Jim, I was I am and will be independent on trends and not afraid to say unpopular things.
FYI, I am not alone (it is enough to look at other boards); I will tell you I predict I am not alone only on this forum as well; I may appear to be alone who is not afraid to contradict opinions of some important people here. I bring arguments and often receive bullshit in exchange. Haven't you thought about it ?

The majority of such threads ends with no counterarguments from the part of this forum "majority" or with my declaration that I am, at least, partially convinced.

Just on a side note -- about fighting for rights or freedom; we Poles know how to do it the best and, moreover, knew how to do it for other countries (including yours).

Cheers

D, if you know anything about America or specifically about the personalities on this website, I don't think there are very many who are afraid to state an unpopular opinion on this or any website. I include myself in the category who by stating an unpopular opinion has gotten himself into trouble many times.

Many have attempted over the years, even when I first met you on another website, have provided many valid arguments but you refuse to at least have the same respect for thier opinion as it differs from yours. I'm one of the most Bull-Headed people you will ever know, yet I'm always open to change or improve my thought process or myself.

I have some very specific insight into as you put it "You Poles" as my wife of 33 years is of Polish decent. Her father and mother are both immigrants. I'm from Chicago which has the 2nd largest Polish population outside of Poland. As far as my bull headed side I'm an Italian from Chicago, do I need to say more.

Just open up to other schools of thought.

Dariusz J.

D, if you know anything about America or specifically about the personalities on this website, I don't think there are very many who are afraid to state an unpopular opinion on this or any website. I include myself in the category who by stating an unpopular opinion has gotten himself into trouble many times.

That's great to hear...but how do you explain that there are a lot of people thinking the same as I do in other places elsewhere ?

Many have attempted over the years, even when I first met you on another website, have provided many valid arguments but you refuse to at least have the same respect for thier opinion as it differs from yours. I'm one of the most Bull-Headed people you will ever know, yet I'm always open to change or improve my thought process or myself.

I refuse all bullshit arguments if they cannot win mine. If they can, I have balls to admit I was wrong, opposite to many.

I have some very specific insight into as you put it "You Poles" as my wife of 33 years is of Polish decent. Her father and mother are both immigrants. I'm from Chicago which has the 2nd largest Polish population outside of Poland. As far as my bull headed side I'm an Italian from Chicago, do I need to say more.

Say big greetings to your wife from me then. :)

Cheers

Naaah....I like this one much better, both music and words...ROFL.

"Pray to your god he won't help you he's dead
He won't fool our minds and our soul... anymore"

Great for the majority of today's golf instruction in general.

Cheers

No, any music produced after 1975 is not music, the modern musicians are all hacks, the electric instruments have ruined music.

Just on a side note -- about fighting for rights or freedom; we Poles know how to do it the best and, moreover, knew how to do it for other countries (including yours) not receiving anything in exchange as history shows.

Come on now, D. You're on the internet right now... you're welcome!:D

FYI, it was invented by one of our more brilliant statesmen, and he's from the South (which is a bit redundant since I already said "brilliant").

natep

New
Jim, I was I am and will be independent on trends and not afraid to say unpopular things.
FYI, I am not alone (it is enough to look at other boards); I will tell you I predict I am not alone on this forum as well; I may appear to be alone who is not afraid to contradict opinions of some important people here. I bring arguments and often receive bullshit in exchange. Haven't you thought about it ?

The majority of such threads ends with no counterarguments from the part of this forum "majority" or with my declaration that I am, at least, partially convinced.

Just on a side note -- about fighting for rights or freedom; we Poles know how to do it the best and, moreover, knew how to do it for other countries (including yours) not receiving anything in exchange as history shows.

Cheers

I dont think your opinions on this are too unpopular or uncommon. I've heard many others, such as Jack Nicklaus, disapprove of many of the same things you have about the modern game.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

No, any music produced after 1975 is not music, the modern musicians are all hacks, the electric instruments have ruined music.

I know what you mean, but not all. Not specifically this Helloween group :) Google e.g. for MAB and watch him play also classical guitar but don't miss him play electric guitar twohanded. Paul Simon couldn't polish his shoes.

Come on now, D. You're on the internet right now... you're welcome!:D
FYI, it was invented by one of our more brilliant statesmen, and he's from the South (which is a bit redundant since I already said "brilliant").

What was invented ? Not fully understood your post, sorry.

I dont think your opinions on this are too unpopular or uncommon. I've heard many others, such as Jack Nicklaus, disapprove of many of the same things you have about the modern game.

That's great to hear.

As far as the Poles fighting for freedom, I was impressed when I came across this video a few months back. Here in the states, there was quite an uproar about the SOPA and PIPA bills in congress, and they were rejected for the time being. But there is a worldwide treaty being negotiated, ACTA, which is far worse, and apparently Obama has signed this treaty in secret through executive order. The Polish government was considering signing onto this treaty, but as you can see the public was outraged.

Thanks. But this was just nothing in front of more tragic times when we were left totally alone. Even by stupid allieds whom we trusted.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Fairest golf course I ever played was the 5000 yard City Park South Course.

I'd played 100 rounds of golf with a good friend who was capable of beating me there, and he never did.

I played 20 rounds with Tom Bartlett there and beat him maybe twice and I am the course record holder.

Totally fair.

Still don't get it?

Dariusz J.

Fairest golf course I ever played was the 5000 yard City Park South Course.

I'd played 100 rounds of golf with a good friend who was capable of beating me there, and he never did.

I played 20 rounds with Tom Bartlett there and beat him maybe twice and I am the course record holder.

Totally fair.

Still don't get it?

No. Your examples are too abstract.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"Good test of golf" - A golf course that is an examination of golf skills, so thorough that the best all-around player wins a percentage of times commensurate with their abilities.

What are some characteristics of a fair course? Can you predict before playing it that a course will be fair? Is it that pars are hard and bogeys easy? Not much water or hazards to avoid the big number like Firestone south, which I always thought of as a fair test?

I liked Augusta National better when they had no rough and less trees. What they have now is a course where you have to be very long. The days of an Olazabal or Langer winning are over. It's still my favorite tournament, but it would be really great if a guy like Tom Watson who could have a chance at a British Open at 59, could have still had a chance at the Masters into his 50's. If they kept the course the way it was 25 years ago, Nicklaus and Watson would have contended in their 50's.

Dariusz J.

"Good test of golf" - A golf course that is an examination of golf skills, so thorough that the best all-around player wins a percentage of times commensurate with their abilities.

If it is "of ALL golf skills" I agree 100%. Today's golf does not examine driving skills.

So Bubba hitting 12 of 16 fairways on Sunday at Augusta isn't good enough for you D?

No, it is pretty good % for today. I have issues how big his misses can be, however. A great ballstriker cannot miss that far unless something unexpected happens.
Luckily, in one of interviews, he said he is aware how lucky guy he was that he found his ball in a lie he did not deserve to have in the playoff. I liked the guy even more then. No "how great I am" Woods-like bullshit.

Cheers

What they have now is a course where you have to be very long. The days of an Olazabal or Langer winning are over.

Couldn't disagree more. The guy who won last year is hardly long by today's standards. We always suffer from the Golf Channel syndrome and over react to what we just witnessed. Some guy, maybe even Zach Johnson, will wedge it in on all par 5's and when this thing again.

Why is length looked at as a novelty skill?

Why is it okay to be just "long enough", but it's a sign of inferior ability to be just "straight enough"?

Status
Not open for further replies.