Is Augusta—set up for The Masters—a good test of golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

Why is it okay to be just "long enough", but it's a sign of inferior ability to be just "straight enough"?

A very good question. The answer is IMO obvious -- because "erroneous length" is not being punished enough while "accurate straightness" is not rewarded enough -- like it was yesteryear. The proportions in favouring some skills over other ones are sick nowadays.

Cheers

Averaging 297 last year is not long? Charl may not be Bubba long, but he's no Zach Johnson.
Yeah he ranked 43rd last year. Plenty long. Agreed. But my greater point stands. You can win this thing without crazy length. Matt Kuchar was in this thing right to the end this year.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is they assume if a player 80th in distance on the Tour, their not long. It's like saying the 50th tallest NBA player is not tall, even though he's probably 6' 8". The bottom line is there are very few shorter players playing at all, and the ones that are (Furyk, Toms, Gay) have to be exceptional with their accuracy and putting to compete. They have no margin for error. The other thing people seem to think is that the longer hitters big advantage is on the par 5's. It's actually on all holes, but it's the long par 4's that the big hitters have the biggest advantage, and Augusta has a bunch of long par 4's.

A very good question. The answer is IMO obvious -- because "erroneous length" is not being punished enough while "accurate straightness" is not rewarded enough -- like it was yesteryear. The proportions in favouring some skills over other ones are sick nowadays.

Cheers
Dariusz, you don't think Bubba's last drive was penalized? He had to hook the ball out of the trees some 50 yards, its not like he just popped a wedge over a tree and two putted for a par. If any tournament punishes erroneous driving it would be Augusta National, Bubba was only one of maybe a handful of guys who could pull the recovery shot off.

I love Augusta and think it is the best golf course for a major we have. How many major golf courses have 3 par fives that you can legitimately get eagle or birdie yet the final scores are usually no more than -10? They do a great job of mixing very difficult holes with holes you can attack and as a golfer it's tough to switch between attack and safety mode, the back nine on Sunday is setup so you can start to attack but it can also easily bite you big time if you get careless, I love it. I might tweak a few things but I think it is the best major by far.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The courses of yesteryear were not near as penal as they are today. The greens were slow and I dont remember a lot of hack it out rough foremost tour stops.

Dariusz, I think you make all these outrageous claims for fun.

Dariusz J.

Dariusz, you don't think Bubba's last drive was penalized? He had to hook the ball out of the trees some 50 yards, its not like he just popped a wedge over a tree and two putted for a par. If any tournament punishes erroneous driving it would be Augusta National, Bubba was only one of maybe a handful of guys who could pull the recovery shot off.

Matt, you (and many others here) won't agree to me, however, I will not change my point of view. I (and very Watson, mind you) consider what happened in the 2nd hole of playoff as a very lucky case. If someone misses fairway so much should expect either a lost ball or a horrible lie, not mentioning a position that enabling to attack green ! He should be simply punished for his error.
He, instead, found his ball in no rough with a huge window amongst trees that would allow any good player go out of trees soemwhere near the green. If I found my ball on my home course so far away from the fairway, assuming it is not OB, either I would take one GREAT (!) wedge shot to be back to fairway (when there is place with no trees) or play my provisional ball because my option would be not looking for my first (when there is regular forest).

It does not take anything from Watson's unbelieveably great skills when executing his 2nd shot from trees.

Cheers

Dariusz J.

The courses of yesteryear were not near as penal as they are today. The greens were slow and I dont remember a lot of hack it out rough foremost tour stops.

They were maybe not so penal for putting, but much more penal for tee-to-green play. You did not see a lot of hack out of rough because it was not shown on footages (there are quite a few pics though) and everyone was avoiding being in rough as hell.

Why for fun ? Do you think Nicklaus also makes his claims for fun ?

Cheers

Matt, you (and many others here) won't agree to me, however, I will not change my point of view. I (and very Watson, mind you) consider what happened in the 2nd hole of playoff as a very lucky case. If someone misses fairway so much should expect either a lost ball or a horrible lie, not mentioning a position that enabling to attack green ! He should be simply punished for his error.
He, instead, found his ball in no rough with a huge window amongst trees that would allow any good player go out of trees soemwhere near the green. If I found my ball on my home course so far away from the fairway, assuming it is not OB, either I would take one GREAT (!) wedge shot to be back to fairway (when there is place with no trees) or play my provisional ball because my option would be not looking for my first (when there is regular forest).

It does not take anything from Watson's unbelieveably great skills when executing his 2nd shot from trees.

Cheers

To take your argument to its logical conclusion, why not just have OB stakes 10 yards either side of every fairway? Anyone hits a wild drive, they are automatically, and uniformly, punished with stroke and distance. No chance to recover. No chance to make amends by playing a more difficult second shot. No strategic decisions to make as to whether you lay up or go for the green.

I don't think that would improve the game. Do you?

Dariusz J.

To take your argument to its logical conclusion, why not just have OB stakes 10 yards either side of every fairway? Anyone hits a wild drive, they are automatically, and uniformly, punished with stroke and distance. No chance to recover. No chance to make amends by playing a more difficult second shot. No strategic decisions to make as to whether you lay up or go for the green.

I don't think that would improve the game. Do you?

No. What you just said is completely illogical, I am afraid. Hitting OB means 2 strokes lost and a practical impossibility to par a hole. Hitting a very penal rough would still keep the possibility of making par with a great wedge back to the fairway, great approach or great putt. Walter Hagen style.
....or a bogey with normal play or double with a bogey game on this hole. Punishment = no chances for birdie.

Cheers

I don't know about the courses but the gear certainly was. You can't take a 110% rip at a persimmon driver 100% of time( just ask Brandt Snedeker). Yes I get that the athletes of today are better and they would have adjusted.

No. What you just said is completely illogical, I am afraid. Hitting OB means 2 strokes lost and a practical impossibility to par a hole. Hitting a very penal rough would still keep the possibility of making par with a great wedge back to the fairway, great approach or great putt. Walter Hagen style.
....or a bogey with normal play or double with a bogey game on this hole. Punishment = no chances for birdie.

Cheers

I find it hard to believe that you would be happy to see Hagen scramble his way to the same par figures as Hogan. Do you think Hagen is more admirable, or acceptable, or in tune with your unilaterally-declared "spirit of the game" than the modern wild-hitting whackers that you so deplore?

Besides, by your own reasoning, what's wrong then with how Bubba made his par to win? He hit a great shot to the green to secure his par. You're going to get hung up on the fact that he hit a wedge - but the facts that he was within 150 yards of the green, and that he could get home with a wedge from there, are the payoffs for his clubhead speed. You're not going to claim that more than a handful of players could have hit that same shot, are you?

Lastly, you talk about "traditional golfing values" and you talk about your home course. What's the connection? Have you played traditional links golf in Britain? If you're thinking that it's all set up like Carnoustie in 1999, then you're very mistaken.

Cheers

Ahhh... but is it perception or reality?

Let's take two fictional professional golfers, we'll call one BH and the other BW.

BH swings 110 mph with a path of X degrees and a face of Y degrees. Those path/face numbers allow him to land the ball in the middle of the fairway and see it roll out just to the right side edge of the fairway (BH like to play a fade). BH is legendary, considered the best driver and never misses a fairway. Never.

BW swings 124 mph with the exact same path and face angles of BH. Unfortunately for BW, those numbers have him landing the ball on the right side of the fairway and rolling out into the right rough. Despite having the exact same skill for controlling his clubhead that BH, BW never hits a fairway and is considered to be a horrible driver, the worst.

Bother players have identical levels of skill for controlling the club, but one has a higher level of skill in how fast he swings the club. Despite being equal to and better , BW is perceived as being a worse driver of the ball. Or conversely, despite being equal to and worse, BH is perceived as being the best driver of the ball.

This entire perception is not based on the players actual ability to control their path/face (the true gauge of a players skill), it’s instead based on where the ball comes to rest relative to the arbitrary height of a lawn mower. If BW wants to change how people falsely perceive his better set of skills, he has two options. He can either hope to produce better path/face numbers than BH just to be considered equal, or he can lesson his skill for speed to the lower level of BH just to be considered equal. Either way, perception would not reflect the reality.

It should be noted that both BH and BW are successful players (major winners) despite their perceived driving prowess.

Good point Mike. I always thought it would be more fair for fairways to get wider as they get further away. Kind of like baseball foul lines, but not as severe an angle. Imagine if baseball foul lines were closer to parallel and the longer home run turned out to be a foul ball on the same line that a shorter hit ball counted as a home run. That's how our golf courses are set up.

Dariusz J.

I find it hard to believe that you would be happy to see Hagen scramble his way to the same par figures as Hogan. Do you think Hagen is more admirable, or acceptable, or in tune with your unilaterally-declared "spirit of the game" than the modern wild-hitting whackers that you so deplore?

Besides, by your own reasoning, what's wrong then with how Bubba made his par to win? He hit a great shot to the green to secure his par. You're going to get hung up on the fact that he hit a wedge - but the facts that he was within 150 yards of the green, and that he could get home with a wedge from there, are the payoffs for his clubhead speed. You're not going to claim that more than a handful of players could have hit that same shot, are you?

Lastly, you talk about "traditional golfing values" and you talk about your home course. What's the connection? Have you played traditional links golf in Britain? If you're thinking that it's all set up like Carnoustie in 1999, then you're very mistaken.

First of all, do not change the subject. First, you should admit your illogical claims concerning OB that you obviously aimed at ridiculing me and ended with ridiculing yourself.

Next, answering your points in detail:
- it could happen literally very often that Hogan would lose all he gained tee-to-green to Hagen on greens; they could likely achieve similar results but only because Hogan cannot putt; and it is very fair. Hagen saving a lot of pars with his great scrambling or recovery shots, Hogan losing lots of birdies because of his lousy putting skills.
- however, Hagen was not privileged to have birdie chances and win Hogan despite very mediocre GiR because he needed to sacrifice one stroke to go out of deep shit.
- I never said my home course is traditional one -- do not put things into my mouth ! I said my home course is penal and brutal not likely to today's pampered courses; with a due proportions it can remind some old US Open very tough setups which I always take as an example when talking about ballstriking level;
- I never ever said that I think that setup like Carnoustie in 1999 is universal; I do not remember I have ever used The Open examples at all (although some of them could be a good ones to illustrate my way of thinking); again, think before you say something because either you claim illogical things or try to speak for me so that you can create your "clever" answers ROFL;
- no, I have never played traditional links in England or Scotland.

Dariusz, what is your home course? I want to google earth it and see how wide the fairways are compared to other courses.
Thanks

Golf Palace, Wola Bledowa (near Lodz) -- google earth here:

golf palace - Mapy Google

You can see (from left to right): fairway and green of the 8th hole (the widest fairway on the course), 9th short par 3 hole over a small lake with huge beech between water and green, very wide driving range, fairway of the 1oth hole, clubhouse (letter B) and the second part of a very tough 18th hole with its green near the clubhouse.
Move North and you'll be able to see the rest of holes and even calculate what you want. The rough is very brutal (the satellite pics were being taken probably when they moved it down a bit, otherwise will be more visible I guess) and the place in the woods even more. Greens are very small, not receiving, and tough to putt.

Ahhh... but is it perception or reality?

Let's take two fictional professional golfers, we'll call one BH and the other BW.

BH swings 110 mph with a path of X degrees and a face of Y degrees. Those path/face numbers allow him to land the ball in the middle of the fairway and see it roll out just to the right side edge of the fairway (BH like to play a fade). BH is legendary, considered the best driver and never misses a fairway. Never.

BW swings 124 mph with the exact same path and face angles of BH. Unfortunately for BW, those numbers have him landing the ball on the right side of the fairway and rolling out into the right rough. Despite having the exact same skill for controlling his clubhead that BH, BW never hits a fairway and is considered to be a horrible driver, the worst.

Bother players have identical levels of skill for controlling the club, but one has a higher level of skill in how fast he swings the club. Despite being equal to and better , BW is perceived as being a worse driver of the ball. Or conversely, despite being equal to and worse, BH is perceived as being the best driver of the ball.

This entire perception is not based on the players actual ability to control their path/face (the true gauge of a players skill), it’s instead based on where the ball comes to rest relative to the arbitrary height of a lawn mower. If BW wants to change how people falsely perceive his better set of skills, he has two options. He can either hope to produce better path/face numbers than BH just to be considered equal, or he can lesson his skill for speed to the lower level of BH just to be considered equal. Either way, perception would not reflect the reality.

It should be noted that both BH and BW are successful players (major winners) despite their perceived driving prowess.

Good but again a misguided example. First, I never said that missing the fairway by a few yards should be punished; moreover, I agree to you that fairways should be projected the way they give equal chances for less SS players and high SS players -- namely, they should be proportionally wider the closer to green; I want to punish errant shots -- do you have an idea what errant means ?
Secondly, as I said many times before -- I have nothing agaist length itself; it should be a virtue or skill; I want to punish errant length so that the chances are fair; why wouldn't you take an example of two players of the same SS -- player A. knowing his ballstriking is not like BH, uses his #3 wood or hybrid and hits the fairway; player B. risking hits with his driver and luckily finds the fairway and gains FAIR ADVANTAGE; but when he risks and his shot goes far away from the fairway -- what's the point of letting him reach the green easier than player A. ???
What kind of friggin sport can tolerate such bullshit ??? Ahhh, c'mon.

Cheers

Last edited:

ZAP

New
Course looks pretty cool to me. If I can ever talk my Dad into visiting his homeland then I am playing there. Problem is there are not too many good memories for my Dad in Poland so I am not sure I will ever get him on a plane. Guess I should have went with my Grandmother on one of her summer trips she took every year before she passed. She used to spend a month over there every year.

I can see where Dariusz is coming from in some ways. I think we agree that golf has become more of a power game. Bubba is probably more artistic than he gets credit for. Reminds me of a Corey Pavin who can hit it hard.

Dariusz J.

Course looks pretty cool to me. If I can ever talk my Dad into visiting his homeland then I am playing there. Problem is there are not too many good memories for my Dad in Poland so I am not sure I will ever get him on a plane. Guess I should have went with my Grandmother on one of her summer trips she took every year before she passed. She used to spend a month over there every year.

Say hello to your Dad. I understand how hard it is to be back sometimes.

As regards the course -- I wouldn't invite my enemy here unless someone says that he wants to know "military golf". It is uncommon when people from Germany or Sweden ask for refund after first nine and 20 balls lost ROFL.

Cheers

Dariusz J.

I might not ever miss a fairway there... they look close together. :)

They are...but you would really need to carry the fairway-dividing rough -- otherwise you can hear a silent thump sound and disappearing ball without any bounce; better play provisional then unless of course you like walking a lot ;)

Cheers

Dari
Can we GoogleMap your house? I'd like to post some random comment like "Dustin Johnson is twice the player that that chop Ben Hogan ever was" and then watch your roof fly off!!
Just joking, Old boy
How the devil are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.