Just had lesson w/ Manzella - Before & After

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Wanted to let everyone know I had a successful lesson w/ Brian last week. It has been over a year since my last one. We worked 3 straight hours on my DS. There are some things we worked on that I can talk about and a couple of things that I can not mention. I will say that we mainly worked on the tugging and the out toss. The out toss is fully customizable for the golfer and was shown to me in a way that I haven't seen mentioned on the forum.

Do you guys notice any changes? The 1st video is before lesson and 2nd is after. Still got alot of work to do...

lia41985

before1.png

after1.png

Less "lag angle" in the after when the left arm is about parallel to the ground but the right elbow is now more under.
before2f.png

after2x.png

More "lag angle" in the after when the hands are at about their low point. Kevin, Brian--this is a great illustration of what you were talking about in terms of the "out-toss" being used as a tool to get you where you need to be later in the swing. I see it now.
before3.png

after3sv.png

The hands in the after are definitely moving more up to and through impact which may be because you've got more parametric acceleration. You also appear to have more right wrist flexion in the after. You're working more in the flexion-extension "plane" in general. Overall, you're on track. Good work.

Last edited:
We didn't work on any part of my lower body. Maybe mentioned the hips a couple of times but not by changing any movements or rotation.

I can completely understand the change in the pivot being a consequence of a corrected arm swing sequence.

Jwat

New
@lia

Nice pics, I really appreciate u doing that. Great comments on the lag angles. Wouldn't have seen that. Crazy how in the 1st set of pics u would think the before is better.

I think I do have more parametric acceleration because we did not work on or mention anything about pulling up the CP. There is definitely more right wrist flexion which is from the customized out toss.

Jwat

New
I can completely understand the change in the pivot being a consequence of a corrected arm swing sequence.

We just worked on the DS, so yea the arm sequence then has definitely changed.

The left arm motion for most tuggers is where the problem lies.

footwedge

@ Lia How can you compare the 2 pics and say there is more lag angle? One's blurred and looks like its at a different time point in the swing than the other one how do you know it's at the same exact time point? I thought looking at 2d pics and video was pointless?

lia41985

My mindfulness of the 2-D issue is why I put lag angle in quotes. Despite the bluriness, I "drew" a line between the left forearm and shaft and used this as a crude substitute for "lag angle."

Jwat

New
@footwedge

Did u like the first swing more?

On trackman before I was swinging 6deg inside-out w/ 3deg closed clubface. After was in between 2-3 in to out and 1deg closed.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Lia, good pics and I'm glad you see it. It is indeed a very difficult concept to grasp in writing but you've illustrated it perfectly in those pics.

footwedge

@footwedge

Did u like the first swing more?

On trackman before I was swinging 6deg inside-out w/ 3deg closed clubface. After was in between 2-3 in to out and 1deg closed.

No, I like the second one more but all that really matters is that your happy with the results, I was just questioning if the look of it really matters, maybe it does if it matches the results your after.

Jwat

New
I am definitely immediately happy with the results of the irons. For the 1st time ever I am taking the left side out of the equation. I am able to control the face now where I can work the ball both ways without the pull.

Also I can troubleshoot the thin and skanky shots and know exactly what is causing it.

On the other hand, I am still struggling a little with consistent strikes with the driver. I am working on out tossing differently than with the irons.

footwedge

I am definitely immediately happy with the results of the irons. For the 1st time ever I am taking the left side out of the equation. I am able to control the face now where I can work the ball both ways without the pull.

Also I can troubleshoot the thin and skanky shots and know exactly what is causing it.

On the other hand, I am still struggling a little with consistent strikes with the driver. I am working on out tossing differently than with the irons.

:cool: The Driver should be easy you got a perfect lie every time.:)

ej20

New
:cool: The Driver should be easy you got a perfect lie every time.:)

The only problem is the face.Due the the lower loft,it has to be squarer at impact than an iron to hit it as accurate and at a speed that is travelling 15mph faster.

I think this more than makes up for the perfect lie.lol

lia41985

Jwat: In the driver video it looks like you hang on your left side a bit but what's the current ball flight and the usual miss? What happens when you try to get a little more step on the right foot when swinging a driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.