Just had lesson w/ Manzella - Before & After

Status
Not open for further replies.

footwedge

The only problem is the face.Due the the lower loft,it has to be squarer at impact than an iron to hit it as accurate and at a speed that is travelling 15mph faster.

I think this more than makes up for the perfect lie.lol

Damn that's right I keep forgettin' about that.:confused: Thanks for the heads up.:D Did you mean squarer than square?:)

S

SteveT

Jwat .... How tall are you? .... What would happen if you narrowed your driver stance? .... Why do you only have a 3/4 backswing? .... What is your driver head speed? .... Are you aware that you somewhat rotate your hips and shoulders in unison in the downswing?

Nice average swing .... and just inquiring for a better perspective ... thanks ....... SteveT

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Jwat: In the driver video it looks like you hang on your left side a bit but what's the current ball flight and the usual miss? What happens when you try to get a little more step on the right foot when swinging a driver?

Current ball flight - high which is normal. Doesn't matter if I hit it good or bad. But that shot in particular was about a 15yd pull.

The problem with the step for me is it sometimes promotes a lateral sway when I get lazy with my right hip.

Jwat

New
Jwat .... How tall are you? .... What would happen if you narrowed your driver stance? .... Why do you only have a 3/4 backswing? .... What is your driver head speed? .... Are you aware that you somewhat rotate your hips and shoulders in unison?

Nice average swing .... and just inquiring for a better perspective ... thanks ....... SteveT

5'10

Actually it was on my pre lesson swings. Brian widened me up with all my clubs, I suspect to help deter the tugging.

Driver head speed was 109-111 a couple months ago. Don't know what it was during lesson because I never took a full swing. It was probably around 105 on a 3/4 finish swing. My 6 iron was 81-83 on 3/4 swing.

Yes, do u mean on the BS or DS?

If I can get that 'average' swing to 'above average', I will go from a -3 to a +

S

SteveT

5'10

Actually it was on my pre lesson swings. Brian widened me up with all my clubs, I suspect to help deter the tugging.

Driver head speed was 109-111 a couple months ago. Don't know what it was during lesson because I never took a full swing. It was probably around 105 on a 3/4 finish swing. My 6 iron was 81-83 on 3/4 swing.

Yes, do u mean on the BS or DS?

If I can get that 'average' swing to 'above average', I will go from a -3 to a +

How would a wider stance deter tugging in your case?

From the video of your driver swing, I guessed no more than ... 90 mph at 3/4 BS. Do you rotate into the DS differently with a full BS, and maybe a narrower stance?

I added in "in the downswing" after you copied the quote.. sorry.

You are a well "above average" golfer...!!!

Jwat

New
Don't know he never said that, I was just assuming. I could be wrong.

That swing could have been in the nineties although I doubt it. I easily cleared my 250yd marker with a bottom of the barrel range ball.

Well I haven't learned to not tug with anything more than 3/4 backswing. But during the lesson I was swinging with a 3/4 finish to learn the DS without the tug. When I got home and started working on it, the only way I could swing with no tug was with the 3/4 BS and full finish.

So right now as i learn I can probably swing without a tug if I have a full BS & 3/4 finish or a 3/4 BS & full finish. Full BS & full finish = major tug still.

ej20

New
Damn that's right I keep forgettin' about that.:confused: Thanks for the heads up.:D Did you mean squarer than square?:)
Dang!

In this day and age of scientific golf,I should have said squarer to the path.

I better go get my PHD in Physics and Biomechanics before I finish that e-book.LOL

footwedge

Dang!

In this day and age of scientific golf,I should have said squarer to the path.

I better go get my PHD in Physics and Biomechanics before I finish that e-book.LOL

You haven't finished the EJ book yet? I got my money saved up...waiting for it.:) It took a little longer to save because I had to buy new golf shoes size 26 for better balance. The only problem so far is all the soft spikes they take, oh! and I had to get a bigger golf bag , they wouldn't fit in the old one.

Sorry for the Thread Jack.

Last edited:

Jwat

New
Yep, right in front of my house. But it is a new subdivision and there are only like 5 houses around me.

I am definitely immediately happy with the results of the irons. For the 1st time ever I am taking the left side out of the equation. I am able to control the face now where I can work the ball both ways without the pull.

Also I can troubleshoot the thin and skanky shots and know exactly what is causing it.

On the other hand, I am still struggling a little with consistent strikes with the driver. I am working on out tossing differently than with the irons.
Jwat, I think your swing looks WAY better your hands are right over the ball at impact. I also had the same thing happen to me about 6 weeks ago when all of the sudden I started to notice I had some control over the clubface. I wasn't trying to control the clubface it just happened. I new it wasn't going left even if I swung harder. Then I started hitting all kinds of shots just playing around with the clubface and exit path. This is a new part of my game. Btw I wish I had my own driving range, must be nice living in Texas:cool:

Jwat

New
Jwat, I think your swing looks WAY better your hands are right over the ball at impact. I also had the same thing happen to me about 6 weeks ago when all of the sudden I started to notice I had some control over the clubface. I wasn't trying to control the clubface it just happened. I new it wasn't going left even if I swung harder. Then I started hitting all kinds of shots just playing around with the clubface and exit path. This is a new part of my game. Btw I wish I had my own driving range, must be nice living in Texas:cool:

Yea its nice here. I have a small golf cart garage on the side of my house that I was going to turn into a hitting bay in the winter time when some jackass started building a house just adjacent to it.

We actually have lots of snowbirds from Minnesota who live here for the winter. Although they want everyone to know that they get their senior discount!

Jwat,

I was dinking around with a club earlier and thought of your experiences with tugging and taking the club back further than 3/4's. I then thought of ekennedy's suggestion that tension causes tugging.

I took a slow-mo swing and stopped as soon as I began to feel a pull on the outside of my left delt, kind of a sticking point. At this point I had made slightly more than three quarters of a back swing.

I slowly lowered the club until the tension on the outside of the left delt dissipated, then gunned it with my right arm. Hmmm, I thought. I have since come up with a few different options for we tuggers.

1) Stop the backswing short of the sticking point. I think this is what JB Holmes does, possibly because he has a problem with tugging/horizontal handpath.

2) Extend the backswing beyond the sticking point, and allow for more of a free fall to begin the downswing, falling just past the sticking point, at which time the club is whooshed.

3) Increase the flexibility of your shoulder complex, take all the backswing you can, and gun it from the very beginning of the downswing.

Jwat

New
Just wanted to update everyone on some progress I have had with my swing since my lesson at the 1st of this month. Although I am nowhere near where I need to be, I have now been able to work in more of a full swing motion from the 3/4. At first the 3/4 was allowing me to get more of the no tug feeling on the DS where as with the full swing the tug was always present.

Now I am getting my arms up a little steeper and turning a little more. Although I haven't seen my distances on my longer clubs grow, I feel like I am getting closer to the correct motions that will eventually open up those power moves. What do you guys think? Is there any noticeable differences?

Thanks for the comments,

Jerad

Jwat

New
Ballflight is high as usual. Now that I am back to more of a full BS, the pulls have come back into play. I have to really stay on top of the ball in the DS and not drift laterally. I think that and the tug go hand in hand.

Ballflight is high as usual. Now that I am back to more of a full BS, the pulls have come back into play. I have to really stay on top of the ball in the DS and not drift laterally. I think that and the tug go hand in hand.
Looks like a great move to me, JWAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.