Just Watched the 'Ideas on the release. How am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just Purchased and watched the new release videos from both Brian and Mike. Great videos with fantastic new information explained in simple terms.

I have a problem though, I do not know how much to take away from the videos and apply to my own swing as I feel as though I may be doing most of it already. I do not want to start consciously feeling things I am doing already and overdo them.

I have linked my swing below and would very much appreciate it if Brian or anyone else could advise me on anything in particular from the video that I am lacking in or could employ. The 2 videos show 2 different backswing pivots that both work well for me. the first is more like the crossing guard drill pivot and the second is more of a centered pivot. Does one work better than another with this release?

release.m4v - YouTube

Thanks people!

Gary

More swing theory less 'couture'

I dont have the time to get myself to a range at the moment so I took these one morning in my back garden quickly!

I know the first is without a ball but the second swing I am hitting a foam ball (all 3 of which I lost!) and TBH my swing with and without a ball is no different. Apart from the fact that I am wearing what I slept in, are there any other observations about the different pivots between the 2 swings and the actual 'RELEASE' I am working on. I am really looking for a deeper observation.

On brians new video he mention the shaft lining up with the right forearm (right handed) which I seem to be doing, perhaps over doing. I just dont want to over do any of these new ideas if I appear to be doing them in the first instance.

My bad shot at the mo is a slice, starts 5 deg left and ends 5 deg right of target. To combat this I have just watched the soft draw pattern - is this interchangeable with the new release video? it doesnt seem to fly in the face of it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Looks like its "over lining up" because you appear to me to be catching that club up to your body. Weight is left and unwinding too soon for my liking, hard to time out. But a nice swing for sure.

Thanks for input Kevin

Are you suggesting that the weight transfered into my backswing stays on my right / away from target side as I begin my turn into the transition, therefore causing timing issues?

In other words I initiate my downswing too soon, before the 'target-ward' move of the back has had time to take place, which short circuits the resulting dowswing and causes over lining up etc?

I havent had a chance to take any of what I have watched to the rnage yet, but when I do I will be particularly paying close attention to intiating the down swing with this target ward movement of a truned back. I will also take the takeaway into the backswing ideas form the soft draw 1.0 and apply those.

I have only just noticed that in my first swing my rear / right foot slips behind me half way into the down swing - should there be enough force in that direction for this to happen without spikes!?

Looks like its "over lining up" because you appear to me to be catching that club up to your body. Weight is left and unwinding too soon for my liking, hard to time out. But a nice swing for sure.
Kevin,
Does this mean that Gary is overdoing it? The first swing looks a little more 'spring-releasey,' the second swing looks fabulous. If Gary is unwinding too soon, wouldn't it be very hard for him to release in this fluid a fashion?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thanks for input Kevin

Are you suggesting that the weight transfered into my backswing stays on my right / away from target side as I begin my turn into the transition, therefore causing timing issues?

In other words I initiate my downswing too soon, before the 'target-ward' move of the back has had time to take place, which short circuits the resulting dowswing and causes over lining up etc?

I havent had a chance to take any of what I have watched to the rnage yet, but when I do I will be particularly paying close attention to intiating the down swing with this target ward movement of a truned back. I will also take the takeaway into the backswing ideas form the soft draw 1.0 and apply those.

I have only just noticed that in my first swing my rear / right foot slips behind me half way into the down swing - should there be enough force in that direction for this to happen without spikes!?

Weight stays on your right? Not sure what ur asking. I dont think anything gets to your right. I wish I could see it in real time.

Weight stays on your right? Not sure what ur asking.

It looks like in the second swing I rush into the downswing without settling into it (with a target-ward shift) and being patient like in the first swing, Its this that gives me the impression that I hadn't transfered enough weight onto my left side before initiating the dowswing.

Its a shame I dont think I have an up to date normal speed swing. The below was taken before I made a slight change towards a steeper backswing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20nmo7dIEZ8

This is face on normal speed but before I got my casio so it is probably useless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgtLUpbLoE

Went to the range

OK so I decided to go to the range last night and work on making the first move from the top the 'turned back to target' to initaite the downswing and.... it felt very strange - almost like I was backing into the ball or even squatting into the shot with my rear end and wasnt going to have the time to turn to the ball ready for impact.This must just have been a feeling at a brief moment in time because I started to turn my fade shot into a striaght shot with hardly any visible movement (practced mainly with 3 wood / 6 iron). I was literally killing it. The only down side, which I am sure will pass with practice, was that the bad shots were slighty fat or thin, which is obviously due to the mechanical changes I have made and should settle down.

Kevin - I think this has addressed the point you made about 'catching that club up to your body' you noticed in my swing on the first page. I have always striked the ball nicely with very shallow divots, but have been robbed of accuracy by always hitting big fades that start left and end right (been on trackman a number of times now which tells me swing path is left to right with fairly square to slight closed blade). I know there is nothing wrong with a fade but I would like to minimize the shape.

Hopefully by working on this move I can begin to hit that 'Soft Draw'

other things that I changed were the grip ala Brians new video, and the soft draw pattern takeaway.

I have a Winter League Fourball match tomorrow, so hopefully I can take to the course!

Im frsutrated, I hit the ball really well in my fourball match but with huge amounts of cut spin on the ball. I was literally having to aim 20 yards left with a 5 Iron @ 200 yards
My Divots are the most shocking thing though, they are nearly at 45 degree angle to my target line. About a month ago I took the swing left feel to the range and had never hit the ball so well, lietrally a couple of yards movement - it thought i had it cracked, but I am clearly over doing it. How can I get the clu traveling on a more in to out swing path?

Jwat

New
Weight stays on your right? Not sure what ur asking. I dont think anything gets to your right. I wish I could see it in real time.

Yea weight is definitley not staying on your right. You make that same dragging right foot that I make. If you are doing it during a dry swing you are more than likely really doing it with a ball there.

Im frsutrated, I hit the ball really well in my fourball match but with huge amounts of cut spin on the ball. I was literally having to aim 20 yards left with a 5 Iron @ 200 yards
My Divots are the most shocking thing though, they are nearly at 45 degree angle to my target line. About a month ago I took the swing left feel to the range and had never hit the ball so well, lietrally a couple of yards movement - it thought i had it cracked, but I am clearly over doing it. How can I get the clu traveling on a more in to out swing path?

A couple thoughts to help. Make sure you are getting your back to the target in your backswing. Also you can direct the out-toss little more behind you to help move the path more in to out.

Last edited:
I have this same problem, over lining up...

Am I right in thinking the fix above is to keep the shoulders from opening too early? Does turning the shoulders open from the top result in early flinging out of the clubs balance point, in the same way the hand path going narrow can?

Status
Not open for further replies.