Lead is at it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffy

Banned
I just received my latest Golf Digest; on page 34 it features a piece by Leadbetter on changes he has made to Michelle Wie's swing. Looks to me like she now incorporates a bona fide flying right elbow, a la Freddie, Furyk and the young Jack Nicklaus. Compare the new sequence to the one found here from two years ago:

http://golfdigest.com/instruction/s...uction/swingsequences/gd200310powerswing.html

I don't see how this is an improvment as it must add an additional timing element to drop the elbow back to her right side as she starts down. What is the "TGM" take?

Jeff

quote:Originally posted by jeffy

I just received my latest Golf Digest; on page 34 it features a piece by Leadbetter on changes he has made to Michelle Wie's swing. Looks to me like she now incorporates a bona fide flying right elbow, a la Freddie, Furyk and the young Jack Nicklaus. Compare the new sequence to the one found here from two years ago:

http://golfdigest.com/instruction/s...uction/swingsequences/gd200310powerswing.html

I don't see how this is an improvment as it must add an additional timing element to drop the elbow back to her right side as she starts down. What is the "TGM" take?

Jeff

A flying right elbow with the club slightly accross the line at the top is a very powerful position. Think of Jack, Freddy, JD, a young Tiger, Phil. This puts the hands up in a higher position further away from golf ball, which allows gravity and muscle power to accelerate the hands and club downward for more time before impact. In TGM speak, it maximizes the number 4 accumulator angle.

David Leadbetter has admitted in an interview recently that he no longer teaches a "precision" golf swing as he did in the eighties & nineties with Faldo. The Faldo swing was about precision, not power. Lead has changed his philosophy and his teaching style.

All his young guns now are attempting to maximizing their power. Think about it. Does CHIII or Ian Poulter swing anything like Faldo ? Hell no. All they work on is bombing it with the driver, and then Lead works with them on their wedge games. The game for those guys is all driver wedge anyway.

In addition, John D cocks his right wrist at the top(End) of the BS which gives more left wrist cock. Geometry shouldn't be allowed to limit the physics needed for the most powerful swing.

Mathew

Banned
Lets face it David Leadbetter sucks - he really is the most dangerous kind of instructor. One that thinks he knows about things and doesn't and tinkers around like a streetkid with a spanner on a millionaire's lotus. He could do ok but chances are he's going to screw it up sooner or later.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Leadbetter - at the 88 PGA Championship. He had complete access to the range, walking up and down the line as if he owned it. He had free access to all the players and had some half dozen or more doing the Nick Price "shaft flattening move", which is a plane shift from the top to the elbow plane. I couldn't believe that tour players would try to change their swings at a major tournament.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

In addition, John D cocks his right wrist at the top(End) of the BS which gives more left wrist cock. Geometry shouldn't be allowed to limit the physics needed for the most powerful swing.

However both JD and Sergio (who does this as well) have a natural move to get into the proper impact alignments on the downswing. Most people cannot and thus leave the face open and FOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE RIGHT!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I really love David Leadbetter.

He is a decent guy, and has advanced the 'cause' of instruction by making the price of instruction go up. He is also NEVER going to do a Variety Show (Like Sonny & Cher) or a Talk Show (Like Letterman or Ellen). If he COULD cook like a pro, he wouldn't make a DENT in Emeril or Paula.

That's where I come in.

;)!

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
Brian, You mean you buy that crap magazine, I look at it for 5 minutes at borders and then want to throw up!
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I'll comment after I buy the issue tomorrow.

jeffy

Banned
Brian, still waiting on your assessment, but, in the meantime, it seemed to me she was a little wild at Bighorn: three unplayable lies in four rounds...

Jeff

That Bighorn looked quite open? , even for a Women's course? Would I be right or wrong there?
She seems to hook it alot off the tee? from what little I've seen of her.

jeffy

Banned
quote:Originally posted by BigBadDonkey

That Bighorn looked quite open? , even for a Women's course? Would I be right or wrong there?
She seems to hook it alot off the tee? from what little I've seen of her.

Commentators were saying that Bighorn was pretty open off the tee...

I was listening to Peter Kessler on xmradio today and he talked on that subject. He had a teaching pro on his show, Carl (didn't get his last name) and he asked about Michelle Wie. He wanted to know if Michelle was already swinging and hitting the golf ball as well as any golfer could and whether all she had to work on was consistancy and the mental side of the game

The pro, Carl, said he thought she had a couple of flaws in her swing leading to random errant shots, ala Phil Mickleson. It was his contention that if she didn't fix these flaws she would never achieve any great level of consitency and would be a hot and cold type golfer.

I didn't catch his entire answer, but I think he said that she had a reverse pivot or her lower body and she over extended on her backswing.

Brian, any comments? [8D]

bray

New
I just got the new Golf Digest with Michelle Wie's sequence.

Can any of you guys comment on why her right foot is coming off the ground during the downswing??

Sorting through the Instructor's Textbook!

B-Ray

I haven't seen the sequence yet, but will shortly, (thanks Jeffy). However, on pure golf, the teacher I referred to earlier, said that here foot coming up and leg straightening were a symptom of a reverse pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.