Not a "sway"

Status
Not open for further replies.

art

New
....where Art thou....?
Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed every one of Art's posts. I'm sure I speak for many when I extend a big thank you to Art. It also says a great deal about this site when you have guys of Art's background and calibre posting.
That's it. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

Dear OLIVER1,

Thanks so much for your kind words, I really want to help, all the time.

When gifted with unexpected musical capabilities, my dad who was in the NBC Studio Orchestra under the direction of Arturo Toscanini told me 'son, God has given you some natural musical talent as a gift, you must give it away".

As unbelievable as that may sound, I have tried to keep that as a high priority, and with regard to the science of the golf swing FEEL that I have been 'receiving gifts of understanding' for the last 5 years that I must give away.

In the beginning there was terrible rejection from teaching pro's and even golfing friends who felt I had much to little time and formal training in golf to understand the real truth in the golf swing. Others may have quit at this point, but I was on a mission of learning energized from a much higher power, and as a result am now being accepted and blessed by the inputs and understanding from professionals like Brian, his 'gang of followers', and most importantly folk's like you. THANKS

Regarding head movement, I have recently been concentrating on the left shoulder complex for the specific variations in golf swing performance, so the head is next on my list of movement that may have a significant negative impact on performance. But if you don't mind, and realize this is hopefully at best a science-based GUESS, I clearly see more BAD than GOOD from any movement linear or rotary that exceeds an inch or two during the downswing.

The common sense of this is based on both geometry AND my favorite subject, dynamic balance and stability. Geometry because an ACCEPTABLE golf swing requires the center or near center of the club head to first come in contact with ONE specific dimple on the golf ball (Believe it or not ???). A GREAT golf shot requires that this initial contact take place within HALF of this same dimple. WHY ??, because, depending on the pattern of the dimples on a golf ball, the diameter of each dimple corresponds to approximately an angular spread of 8 degrees, or a plus or minus 4 degrees from the center.

So, I fide it hard to believe a moving head can result in repeatable 'dimple' striking.

Finally regarding dynamic balance, the weight of the head AND the torque and associated angular acceleration it could generate by swaying (probably OK to let it rotate), requires equal and opposite restoration movements/torques etc. to result in acceptable arm/club position and path consistencies.

More details in the future when real data/analyses become available.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It think the key to this whole debate is simple:

When do you "go to the ball."

At that point, any head movement is a real problem, and before then, is just a part of a golfer's pattern.

When are you supposed to "go to the ball" at the point—mid-downswing—where you start to put torque about the coupling point to speed up the lower lever.

For those who don't know, there are several methodologies that think any head movement will doom you.

S

SteveT

Dear OLIVER1,

Thanks so much for your kind words, I really want to help, all the time.

When gifted with unexpected musical capabilities, my dad who was in the NBC Studio Orchestra under the direction of Arturo Toscanini told me 'son, God has given you some natural musical talent as a gift, you must give it away".

As unbelievable as that may sound, I have tried to keep that as a high priority, and with regard to the science of the golf swing FEEL that I have been 'receiving gifts of understanding' for the last 5 years that I must give away.

Finally regarding dynamic balance, the weight of the head AND the torque and associated angular acceleration it could generate by swaying (probably OK to let it rotate), requires equal and opposite restoration movements/torques etc. to result in acceptable arm/club position and path consistencies.

More details in the future when real data/analyses become available.

ARTURO!!!! That was interesting, and if you have a golfswing you must have great RHYTHM and TEMPO given your musical chops... an "allegro con moto" swing with dynamic harmony and proper counterpoint reactions for a stable whole.

And I think you've hit the nail on the head so to speak by pointing out that "...regarding dynamic balance, the weight of the head AND the torque and associated angular acceleration it could generate by swaying (probably OK to let it rotate), requires equal and opposite restoration movements/torques etc. to result in acceptable arm/club position and path consistencies."

Since the head mass constitutes about 8% of the total body mass, even it's minute movements must have a counter-productive impact on the body kinetic chain that starts at the feet, up to the shoulders and outwards to the arms and club. It's almost as if the head mass can be a handicap, working counter to the upward thrusting kinetic forces. Oh not to have a useless head mass. ;)

Perhaps Brian's comments at #23 are even more insightful from a practical application POV.

Status
Not open for further replies.