Phil playing a fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After his round today (67), Phil said he hit more fairways because he played a fade with the driver and that playing a fade would be something he would look in to doing more of in the future. I always assumed a tour player with plenty of length played a draw because they couldn't play a fade. With Jack and Tiger playing a power fade to win most of their majors why wouldn't Phil or any other tour player play a fade if they could?

It seems like Phil is a guy who really likes to bomb it. With the success he had playing the fade primarily, the only thing I could think of is that he wasn't comfortable with the yardage he lost playing the fade over the draw, so he went back.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Didn't hear that quote but that is almost every fade players story:

They are a good fader
They want to draw it
They learn too
They never quite master it
They go back to the fade and wala...they score better.

I had a good quote a long time ago mainly someone can find it but it was something like, the draw is your mistress and the fade is the one you marry lol.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Didn't hear that quote but that is almost every fade players story:

They are a good fader
They want to draw it
They learn too
They never quite master it
They go back to the fade and wala...they score better.

I had a good quote a long time ago mainly someone can find it but it was something like, the draw is your mistress and the fade is the one you marry lol.

So you can do things with the draw that you can't do with the fade:)

Ya dance with the lady who brung ya to the ball...go down the majors list and look at faders vs drawers. It's not even close

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Ya dance with the lady who brung ya to the ball...go down the majors list and look at faders vs drawers. It's not even close

Funny you mention that, i remember the Masters with the 3 player playoff of Cabrera Kenny Perry and Chad Campbell. My fiance asked me who i thought was going to win...i told her Cabrera most likely because he hit the fade.

Hoo boy, now I'm confused.

If I want to 'ashcan' hitting draws with driver or 3 wood off the tee, or straight shots via 'baby draw' by aiming right and swinging righter, what would be the rules of thumb to hit fades off the tee and how does D-plane fit into the picture?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hoo boy, now I'm confused.

If I want to 'ashcan' hitting draws with driver or 3 wood off the tee, or straight shots via 'baby draw' by aiming right and swinging righter, what would be the rules of thumb to hit fades off the tee and how does D-plane fit into the picture?

To make it simple, think driver

You have to do the exact opposite in your setup that you do to draw it.

Aim way left (more than you think)
Swing way left (more than you think)

Why?

So when the club is coming "up" the face is still open to the path you swung on, thus you just produced a "hit up" fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.