Sergio - PGA Championship - Ball Striking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the final round of the PGA for the second time last night. It was still awesome even though I new the outcome. Yes. I am a golf nerd and proud of it.

That said: how many of you notice all the little divots Sergio took with his Driver and 3-wood when the ball was on a peg!! Granted, the shots were flighted down for wind and control, but it was an amazing testiment to the shape and direction of his swing....

After all the "wee" divots, the ball was in play. Not so on 18!

If you DVR'd it, go back and check. Pretty cool.

Sergio has absurd control over his ball. He was maybe an inch away from a slam dunk eagle on fifteen and the wind was HOWLING during that shot.

I watched the final round of the PGA for the second time last night. It was still awesome even though I new the outcome. Yes. I am a golf nerd and proud of it.

That said: how many of you notice all the little divots Sergio took with his Driver and 3-wood when the ball was on a peg!! Granted, the shots were flighted down for wind and control, but it was an amazing testiment to the shape and direction of his swing....

After all the "wee" divots, the ball was in play. Not so on 18!

If you DVR'd it, go back and check. Pretty cool.

I didn't get to see the final round (listened to it all on XM driving from Fla). Did Sergio not take a divot on his tee shot on 18? I'd like to see some of those Driver divots.... could you tell how high he was teeing it?

It is amazing how well he hits it. He may be the only guy that will win a major with a balky putter due to his ball-striking alone.

I didn't get to see the final round (listened to it all on XM driving from Fla). Did Sergio not take a divot on his tee shot on 18? I'd like to see some of those Driver divots.... could you tell how high he was teeing it?

It is amazing how well he hits it. He may be the only guy that will win a major with a balky putter due to his ball-striking alone.

he doesnt tee it very high to start with

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sergio has a very downward angle of attack through the ball with ALL clubs, it severly limits his distance BUT it increases his spin rate which allows him to shape the ball with todays woods

Sergio has a very downward angle of attack through the ball with ALL clubs, it severly limits his distance BUT it increases his spin rate which allows him to shape the ball with todays woods

Jim,

I see his PGA stats put him 41st in distance (296 avg) and 147th in accuracy. I was under the impression that he was both long and very accurate. Seems to have plenty of length but I expected his accuracy numbers to be much higher.

Jim is right, and Tiger makes this trade off too.

The extra spin they create allows them to have more control over the ball with woods etc, but doesn't allow them to optimize their launch conditions for maximum carry etc. The extra backspin makes sidespin less of a factor allowing them to impart more cut or draw spin without losing the ball either way.

at least thats the way I conceptualize it :)

i don't understand how he can grip so far down the club on almost every club he uses. Sure that might affect distance but give him more accuracy.

Robbo

No, he did not. It looked as though he was playing a fade and lost the shot to the right.

Sergio

I was at the PGA last Sunday and followed the Wi/Garcia/Harrington group start to finish.

Garcia's ball striking is absurd. He's just so good it's sick. Anyhow, he showed the ability to hit the lower, penetrating ball flight and the big bomber too.

On 2 (529 par 5) he hit driver and then 9 iron? Couldn't tell the exact yardage but he killed it past all the bunkers and had a short iron left. He was across the fairway so hard to tell which club exactly, but hell he almost made it from there.

On 4 (446 Par 4) he hit driver and he had less than 100 left. Really tricky pin position there and he missed the birdie putt.

On 7 (449 Par 4) he hit the first of a few low drivers. The wind was just howling into your face here and at that point it had been raining off and on. He didn't hit it terribly far, however. Harrington went w/ a "normal" type trajectory that ballooned, but went further than Garcia's. After they all tee off there's a concession stand about 125 yards up the fairway and to the right of the teebox. Garcia sprints under the ropes, walking amongst a hundred people in line for beer, food, etc. looking for the portable bathrooms. Funny stuff!

On 8 (491 Par 4) he again hit the low driver. TV doesn't do this hole any justice. With the wind howling and the rain coming down this hole was easily 550-575 yards. After Harrington made the green in two some dude in the crowd yells to Harrington that he's the only guy to make the green in two all morning. Harrington turns to the guy and gives him a pseudo fist pump and a grin!

On 12 (593 Par 5) he hooked one left but ended up w/ a good lie in the trampled down rough. Lot of speculation here on the lie and club selection but this is the closest I got to Garcia all day (less than 10 ft) and got a good look at his lie. It was fine to hit a long iron and I thought 5 wood would have been too much. Hit a terrible chip though.

On 16 (401 Par 4) I'm not sure what club he hit off the tee but it wasn't driver. I was a little surprised how far back he left himself here w/ the wind blowing across the water. He then tried some low line drive that we all know ended up went. Great up and down after he just dunked it too. Crowd went nuts when Paddy made his par.

I'll have more on the PGA later, will try and post a full trip report.

I didn't say he needed to worry about distance, i said he is severley limiting his potential distance because of the way he prefers to hit the ball / shape shots.

Sorry Jim, I don't consider any pro who hits the ball over 300 yards when he needs to, SEVERELY limited....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.