Sergio - PGA Championship - Ball Striking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
come on jim...30-40 carry?

lets not waste time talking about this.

Who said anything about carry? I am saying that he could end up with 30-40 more yards IN TOTAL (there is that better?) if he would CHOOSE to learn to hit up on the ball and change his launch conditions.

Sorry if you or anyone else finds it that hard to believe but it is and i'm tired of having to explain myself.

1) Sergio likes to hit down on the ball; especially with woods
2) Sergio likes to launch the ball LOW
3) 1 & 2 above create A LOT OF SPIN (north of 3000)

Those 3 above will severely limit your distance when you have the ball speed of someone like Sergio.

Who said anything about carry? I am saying that he could end up with 30-40 more yards IN TOTAL (there is that better?) if he would CHOOSE to learn to hit up on the ball and change his launch conditions.

Sorry if you or anyone else finds it that hard to believe but it is and i'm tired of having to explain myself.

Here's my last post on this:

1) Sergio likes to hit down on the ball; especially with woods
2) Sergio likes to launch the ball LOW
3) 1 & 2 above create A LOT OF SPIN (north of 3000)

Those 3 above will severely limit your distance when you have the ball speed of someone like Sergio.

I'm out.

:) Ok Jim. If Sergio hits it the optimal way like you want it to, he would probably be the longest driver on tour, or very near there.

Yes he'd be close because he can swing close to the 120mph mark when he needs too.

True dat.

Clubhead Speed (mph)

J.B. Holmes (125) 312 yard average
Bubba Watson (126) 314 yard average
Sergio Garcia (120) 294 yard average
Tiger Woods(118) 287 yard average.... ouch...
Camilo Vilegas (114) 293 yard average (thats 1 yard less, and 6 yards MORE than Tiger while 6 mph slower than sergio and 4 mph slower than Tiger...)

Why?
Read:
Certified Professional Clubmaker / Clubfitter

(Jim, you have helped me out many times, I thought I would return the favor):cool:;)

True dat.

Clubhead Speed (mph)

J.B. Holmes (125) 312 yard average
Bubba Watson (126) 314 yard average
Sergio Garcia (120) 294 yard average
Tiger Woods(118) 287 yard average.... ouch...
Camilo Vilegas (114) 293 yard average (thats 1 yard less, and 6 yards MORE than Tiger while 6 mph slower than sergio and 4 mph slower than Tiger...)

Why?
Read:
Certified Professional Clubmaker / Clubfitter

(Jim, you have helped me out many times, I thought I would return the favor):cool:;)

lol, Tiger swing 118mphs with the 3 wood.

lol, Tiger swing 118mphs with the 3 wood.

can you type in english?

look it up, he can swing faster than 118 no doubt, but, he has backed off the driver trust me. and averages somewhere in the 118 to 122 range.

even still, and this is irrefutable, his average drive, this year, is 287 yards. so, if he is swinging faster, this proves the point Jim is trying to get across even more...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Could be, or the holes where they measured driver distance he used 3 wood instaed. The way the PGA does the distance is two holes in opposite directions where they feel the majority of the field will use driver; but if they don't it doesn't matter it's still calculated.

Could be, or the holes where they measured driver distance he used 3 wood instaed. The way the PGA does the distance is two holes in opposite directions where they feel the majority of the field will use driver; but if they don't it doesn't matter it's still calculated.

That could explain it... but still, his average hasn't been in the 300 yard range in at least a couple of years.

I'm guessing, the guys on tour, and their egos, know where the PGA is measuring driver distance, and they make sure to pull that big stick out....
However, I could see Tiger not caring.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
According to PGAtour.com:

2008 = 294.3
2007 = 302.4
2006 = 306.4
2005 = 316.1
2004 = 301.9
2003 = 299.5
2002 = 293.3
2001 = 297.6
2000 = 298.0

Tiger during this years tournaments had an average swing speed around the 122 or 124 mark according to trackman, the average could have been skewed down due to his injury at the US Open but before that i remember it being the "highest average swing speed on tour;" better than both Bubba or JB

Status
Not open for further replies.