Snapping the chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a follow up to my last post (lefty swinging righty), for the last couple weeks I've really realized that I need to stop worrying about having the perfect swing and just worry about what the ball is doing. There are a few things that need to be tightened up to make me consistent but things are much better. In the course of allowing myself to just use clubface control (so liberating) I've really begun to feel that my golf swing has turned into my hold hockey slap shot. This imagery has really helped me and simplified things a log. Jim, I'll probably be working with this when we get together again. This got me thinking about other non golf sports motions that help explain motions in the golf swing. Hockey slap shot, baseball hit, discus, shot put and hammer were the ones that came to mind. For people who want to know what kinetic chain snapping is, watch the video below. I think it explains it nicely.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGE_VY1AwT4[/media]

Even Drew Brees mentions the Kinetic Chain in this very interesting video.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVoqA-LKGb4[/media]

I think I know what it is and I kind of understand it, I just don't know how execute it (especially in a golf swing).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Hockey slap shot and baseball swing are similar just on different planes; especially the slap shot. That is why most hockey players are really good golfers generally.

However i did play hockey lefty so no help for me there LOL

Hockey slap shot and baseball swing are similar just on different planes; especially the slap shot. That is why most hockey players are really good golfers generally.

However i did play hockey lefty so no help for me there LOL

they try to make out that jamie sadlowski's greatness is his ability to hit a hockey puck 98 mph. however he plays hockey let-handed so i cudnt see how they worked that out.

btw, why do people who are right handed play hockey left handed?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
they try to make out that jamie sadlowski's greatness is his ability to hit a hockey puck 98 mph. however he plays hockey let-handed so i cudnt see how they worked that out.

btw, why do people who are right handed play hockey left handed?

I don't know; i am left handed.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Whoa!

I have been throwing footballs my whole life.

This demonstration by Drew Brees is the damnest thing I have ever seen in sports.

Are you kidding me?

This is like Tiger pitching 10 in a row inside a basketball hoop from the same distance 10 straight times.

Maybe he could....:D

rcw

New
THAT IS AMAZING!!! I had know idea he was that accurate. Or that anybody could possibly be that accurate. Unbelievable! With that many RPMs! that is just sick..
Thank God he is a SAINT!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
ahhhhh very interesting.

so what made you swing right handed i golf?

My first sport and love is baseball; i was taught to bat righty instead of lefty. Swinging a baseball righty for 8-10 years as a kid to a teenager it just felt more natural.

I did learn to switch hit in baseball and, when i connected, the ball went A WHOLE LOT FURTHER lefty but to quote Tin Cup..."it felt like an unfolding law chair."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Now...

...as far as "snapping the chain" goes....

It is VERY SIMILAR to Ben Doyle's "break the divot off in your hand with your pivot" drill.

how is this for a "snap the chain image"?? imagine at address a volleyball on a stand next to your right hand heel pad and how would someone smack that ball down the fairway? his right hand would get behind him and pow..from the ground up....

Pecky,

I have a friend who is a TPI certified trainer. He harps repeatedly that we (golfers) should be taking an EQUAL amount of swings in the opposite direction that we normally swing. He had me do this experiment with my Swing Speed Radar. I am a RH golfer. I grabbed my driver with my right hand and made two opposite direction swings much like a tennis player making a backhand stroke right-handed. Then immediately address the ball and hit it. My driver clubhead speed jumps 2-4 mph.
There is a long list of longdrive champions who are Canadiens and hit the ball RH and probably play hockey lefthanded like Sadlowski.

Status
Not open for further replies.