stiff to x-flex...what a BIG difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old set were MP-37's with Dynamic Gold stiff flex...hooking the ball pretty bad whenever I swung hard, especially with the longer irons. Then I bought a new set of irons with KBS shafts, x-flex...NO HOOKS anymore no matter how hard I swung. A big draw is all I can get. With the short irons I couldn't even hit draws unless I tried really hard...they all had the tinniest little fade at the end. I never thought the shaft could make such a big difference....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
My old set were MP-37's with Dynamic Gold stiff flex...hooking the ball pretty bad whenever I swung hard, especially with the longer irons. Then I bought a new set of irons with KBS shafts, x-flex...NO HOOKS anymore no matter how hard I swung. A big draw is all I can get. With the short irons I couldn't even hit draws unless I tried really hard...they all had the tinniest little fade at the end. I never thought the shaft could make such a big difference....

You like the KB's huh?

Did you put them on the frequency machine?

I like True Temper golf shafts, but a few years ago I had some problems with some X100's and then we measured the frequence and they were really weak. The worst was years ago I had a Callaway War Bird driver and 3 wood. I killed the 3 wood, hit it straight as well. Hooked the bejessus out of the driver. So I measured the shaft and the X-stiff graphite shaft in the driver measure out to be about a ladies stiff flex.

3JACK

Thanks Tongzilla

This is very helpful to me..I plan on trying out the KBS. I have the same thing going on when I try to hit it hard with my current shafts. Right now I can't seem to tone it down...I got a little Gorilla in me I guess...Thanks again for the review.

It was a running joke at the Golf Haus about the stiffness of Callaways drivers, those early Callaways were noodles.

You like the KB's huh?
It's a nice shaft. I like the red sticker.

Btw, I couldn't hit the 3 iron properly. Even on pured shots, the trajectory is VERY low. I consider myself an above-average long iron player. However, I was hitting range balls...will report back after hitting real golf balls.

Last edited:

I just experienced the same disappearance of big hooks with my driver by buying an x-flex shaft. I couldn't believe how much harder I could swing.

Ever since Brian recommended the KBS, I've been wanting to try some irons with KBS shafts. I think I fall between the 5.5 (stiff they offer) and 6.5 (x that they offer) -- if those shafts are comparable to Project X shafts in terms of how they match up with swing speed, and I am not sure what to do (the Project X I currently have were a very big step up in quality and fit for me from the Dynamic Gold stiff shafts I had in my old irons).

I just experienced the same disappearance of big hooks with my driver by buying an x-flex shaft. I couldn't believe how much harder I could swing.

Ever since Brian recommended the KBS, I've been wanting to try some irons with KBS shafts. I think I fall between the 5.5 (stiff they offer) and 6.5 (x that they offer) -- if those shafts are comparable to Project X shafts in terms of how they match up with swing speed and am not sure what to do (the Project X were a very big step up in quality and fit for me from the Dynamic Gold stiff shafts I had in my old irons).

KBS are nice, but I swear a lot of internet equipment aficionados exaggerate how good this shaft is (and other equipment for that matter). They make it sound like it's so much better than, say, Dynamic Gold. All I can say is it can't be that bad if Tiger's using it.

KBS are nice, but I swear a lot of internet equipment aficionados exaggerate how good this shaft is (and other equipment for that matter). They make it sound like it's so much better than, say, Dynamic Gold. All I can say is it can't be that bad if Tiger's using it.

If you added up all the yardage some internet equipment afficianados increased their distance by buying a new club, there would be a lot of people hitting 400 yard drives and 220 yard 5-irons.

But I did think there was, for me, a noticeable change in dispersion and uin trajectory going from DG stiff, which is what I used forever, to project x shafts. I may hit the Project x 5-7 yards shorter with my irons, though.

Last edited:

Guitar Hero

I have used X-100 Dynamic Golf shafts for years in my irons. They are easy to freq. match. I also use the apollo hump shaft in the X-flex for my short irons. I am going to try the KBS soon.

Guitar Hero

Ever since Brian recommended the KBS, I've been wanting to try some irons with KBS shafts. I think I fall between the 5.5 (stiff they offer) and 6.5 (x that they offer) -- if those shafts are comparable to Project X shafts in terms of how they match up with swing speed, and I am not sure what to do (the Project X I currently have were a very big step up in quality and fit for me from the Dynamic Gold stiff shafts I had in my old irons).

Don't forget the load on the shaft. Swing speed is sometimes not the only way to test for steel iron shafts. I get the best results for X-100 Dynamic golf shafts in my irons and if I went by swing speed they would have me hitting S-300 shafts. I have tried S-300 shafts and it is not right for me in the irons.

Don't forget the load on the shaft. Swing speed is sometimes not the only way to test for steel iron shafts. I get the best results for X-100 Dynamic golf shafts in my irons and if I went by swing speed they would have me hitting S-300 shafts. I have tried S-300 shafts and it is not right for me in the irons.

You know I've wondered about that. I'm sure swing speed is only one of many determinants in choosing shafts.

Guitar Hero

X-100 Shafts

You know I've wondered about that. I'm sure swing speed is only one of many determinants in choosing shafts.

When I use to get fitted for shafts in my irons I always would start out with the X-flexes and work my way down to the stiff flexes and back up. I would go with the feel I had of the load on the shaft. I have found in my swing the less I feel the shaft load the better the results for my irons. The X-100 feels the best. Also there are still many tour pros with higher club hear speed than mine using X-100 shafts. It is just a good match for many golfers. Just my take?

its funny, I have tried the rifle, project x, different graphites, and on the launch monitor, dynamic gold still gives me the best numbers. It is a great shaft. Have not tried the KBS I admit.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
While some iron shafts can have ballflight differences they are minute; but sometimes that can have a big change to launch or even spin.

Also, generally people tend to like shafts that are either:
- Tip stiff & butt soft (Dynamic Gold)
- Butt stiff & tip soft (most rifle products with exception for project x)

As i said most people fall into 1 category or the other that is why people who love DG tend to not move into a rifle product or vice versa.

Also; to Tong an X-Flex in the KB Tour is going to be probably a lot stiffer in the tip than the old S300 you were using and it's going to launch and spin a lot less than u r used to. This is why some people go only stiff in the long irons or they soft step them to help aid in launch

If you added up all the yardage some internet equipment afficianados increased their distance by buying a new club, there would be a lot of people hitting 400 yard drives and 220 yard 5-irons.

But I did think there was, for me, a noticeable change in dispersion and uin trajectory going from DG stiff, which is what I used forever, to project x shafts. I may hit the Project x 5-7 yards shorter with my irons, though.

Your PX shafts are stiff too?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
PX shafts have a much stiffer profile to them overall than a normal rifle product and also, if you don't need the slight spin reduction that PX provides you will hit it shorter

Brian recommended these shafts to me too-looked on the KBS websight and got a little confused-They list three types of iron shafts? What are the differences in the KBS iron shaft choices and what should I get if I am hitting the PX5.5(which are a little soft/unstable at the tip 4 me) my driver swing speed averages around 112-115
thnks
D.

On course report

I tested these on the course the yesterday.

They felt great, much better than on the range. Might be because of the balls or grass. And may well be the clubhead too. (sorry, I know this doesn't say much!)

My irons are 3-6 yards longer than normal. Ball flight lower than S-300. Maybe a little less spin, and flatter trajectory.

One thing's for sure: they are STIFF! Some people can feel the tip end is stiffer than the butt end...all I can feel is this is a stiff mofo.

I played a few controlled 8 iron shots hitting it 145 yards (normal about 155 yards) and I had no issues with the shaft being too stiff for less than full power shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.