Swing Plane Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
How useful is a plane board for waist-high to waist-high drills (assuming it is setup correctly)?

Has anyone actually made their own?

Eminem

Banned
Pretty pointless IMO

You have to learn the real movements of the swing that puts the club on plane not put up a plane board. These movements are fundamental and if you don't understand them then you'll never be on plane, period !

Very useful.. I don't know what the "real movements" are but if you can swing the club from waist up on plane you will be in good shape. Where the club goes up from there is not that important.

hue

New
Very useful for getting the right understanding for the shape of your swing/swing path. I use one at the golf range all the time and it is also great for takeaway drills.

Practicing waist-high to waist-high on a plane board is excellent.

There are probably many ways to make a cheap plane board.
Hank Johnson's book contains a section on building your own plane board.

hue

New
Has anyone actually made their own?

Get a piece of 8x4/6x3 ply/gyproc/other board. It does not have to be new. Rip a half circle in the middle of the top edge large enough not to interfere with your hands in the swing. Then prop the board up at the lie angle of the club and you have got yourself a plane board.

quote:Originally posted by Eminem

Pretty pointless IMO

You have to learn the real movements of the swing that puts the club on plane not put up a plane board. These movements are fundamental and if you don't understand them then you'll never be on plane, period !

I agree, i have hated plane boards. Its like learning to sprint with a shoulder on a side wall as you run.

Being on plane is a product of other componets of the swing, an effect. Work on right forearm trace, pivot and plane falls in place.

dude

New
Interesting comments regarding plane boards. Plane board, full length, was arguably the number one tool used by Homer in writing TGM other than possibly the dictionary. I doubt if there are many here who truly grasp the importance of the plane or have experienced standing inside of one and the revelation they can have. Only probably a handful that can come close to feeling or getting correct something like a zero shift with a turned shoulder plane. With a full plane board, one would go, "WOW!"

Following is a quote from Homer in regards to plane boards that deals with only ONE item. Quote, "If you have never stood in an incline plane with a hole in it and move a club on it, you cannot believe that it goes through the waist and that the right shoulder stays right on that same plane. The right shoulder stays on the same plane as the clubshaft and hands for quite a ways. It should be on the same plane until after impact. From the top through start down, the right shoulder should stay on plane as that of the hands. It is inconceivable to most people until they stand inside an inclined plane.

Now, back under my rock I go. ;):)

Thanks

golfingrandy

I would agree, standing inside a plane board the way Homer did for the book would be useful ... a few times.... but swinging a club in one to learn is still backwards to me.

hue

New
Brian: Do you use the full plane board when you teach? I know you use the mini plane board in your video. Thanks.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by 6bee1dee

I would agree, standing inside a plane board the way Homer did for the book would be useful ... a few times.... but swinging a club in one to learn is still backwards to me.

I thought along these lines until I did it. You will not understand and appreciate the value of this type of training until you do it. I thought my swing path was OK but this was really shown not to be the case when I used the plane board and it came as a shock. Without this shock I would not have had the motivation to put in the effort to shape my swing up. It is still not right but it is a lot better and I work with the plane board all the time. It shows a lot of things up and makes you want to correct things. If you can get your plane right all you need is lag and a flat lead wrist at impact and you will hit straight shots. I don't think a lot of training aids but the plane board is different.

As Randy has mentionned, i can honestly say..."WOW"...built one, use one, everyday for past month or so...do it, get it, you WILL see the difference and understand alot of garbage and non-garbage...

"if you build it....he will come..."

hindging, plane, shoulder plane, shifts, axis tilt, etc...all possible to see and get with da board...someone ever tell you to "look, look, look and confirm, confirm, confirm????"
thanks Dude...

How would you say the stick in the ground (ala VJ and now Jesper is using) works compared to the full, hole through, plywood, not really easy to bring to the range every time you go practice, planeboard?

hue

New
ThomGN: The stick in the ground VJ thing is more of a reminder than of direct use in my opinion. Once you have used a plane board the VJ thing is of use otherwise the odds are you won't get it.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by Powerdraw

As Randy has mentionned, i can honestly say..."WOW"...built one, use one, everyday for past month or so...do it, get it, you WILL see the difference and understand alot of garbage and non-garbage...

hindging, plane, shoulder plane, shifts, axis tilt, etc...all possible to see and get with da board...someone ever tell you to "look, look, look and confirm, confirm, confirm????"
thanks Dude...
Did you build a full size plane board or only a half size one?

Brian: how big is yours?

I want to make a mini planeboard. How big does it have to be? The sizes Hue suggests is bigger than I want to carry around. Anyone....

dude

New
quote:Originally posted by hue

quote:Originally posted by Powerdraw

thanks Dude...
Did you build a full size plane board or only a half size one?

Hue,

I am not sure how often Powerdraw visits this forum so I will answer. The plane board that he built was the 1/2 size. He calls it the monster. Where Power is from, winter has set in, so he sends me these vids of this huge plane board in his living. In most cases, there is a glass of red wine close by.;) Thats what I call dedication. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.