Swinging too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Learn to hit it with your pivot. Swinging too hard comes from just flailing the hands at it a lot of times, but as others have said there is a proper sequence for that to happen. Feel like your hands are just clamps and pivot like hell

Knudson

cmartin, you were taught by George Knudson. Got a question for ya.

Knudson advised that a player should address the ball off the toe of the club, to allow for the natural extension one experiences in the swing. I have found personally, that I can hit great shots even with the club head all the way inside from the ball. No lunging or other funny maneuvers, my swing just seems to want to extend... a lot. It's so... "unorthodox" of an address position though, I'm worried about continuing to do it.

How far did Knudson advise taking the "address off the toe" approach? Are you lining the toe up with the center of the ball? Or the toe with one of the edges?

I was taught that when I was 9 years old:)

If you rested a ball against a baseboard then set the club so its toe was touching the baseboard, you would be where he set up.

I definitely set the ball toward the toe. If I'm going to miss the sweet spot, I'd prefer it be toward the toe.

The Taly

What worked for me is some of the following things:

3. The Taly is the best training aid I've ever seen, and if there's one thing it cures is this. Best $70 you could spend.

3JACK

This is a damn good tool.

I was tired of a flipper at my club back in '96 (Eddie Gold, you were a peach) and it spawned a homemade version. I actually submitted it for patent protection, but it was too cost prohibitive at the time.

There is another couple of gizmos like this on the market, but here's a way to build one.

Here's the recipe for a "Taly" like tool that will help you with your impact alignments. Certainly at slower speeds. GREAT for chipping and pitching.

1. Dry cleaner's slacks hanger (the kind with the stiff card board tube).
2. Velcro wrist or forearm bandage.
3. Tensor bandage style tape (any tape will do).
4. Pliers

A. Pull the wire ends out of each end of the card board tube.
B. Squeeze the ends of the hanger (that were in the tube) with the pliers so you can stuff both 10" arms of the hanger down the length of the tube. It should get pretty tight.
C. Leave the "J" hook sticking out with 1" of play (the spiral part).
D. Wrap tape around the "J" to where you have a flat surface due to the tape application.
D. Put Velcro wrist bandage about three inches up from your wrist on your target forearm.
E. Slide taped end of the "gizmo" under the Velcro and tighten.
F. Bend the steel to align the "indicator" (card board tube) parallel (on plane) to the shaft of your club and aim it about five inches ahead of your ball.

This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Voila...

The key is to learn to increase the distance from the shaft to the indicator during your back swing and keep that distance until the ball is gone. Great for putting too... don't let the gap between the indicator and the shaft change.

$7 for a decent Velcro wrist bandage at Walgreen's.

I've made about 20 of these over the years and usually give it to my student that needs it...

Sincerely,

MacGiver

Hi Martin,

How about a Youtube step by step? Would sure love to get some done up for the younger of the twins. He's a lefty but I can only afford to buy one set for them hence the right handed set for them to share while learning.

Somehow, I can never get the lefty not to flip it and would like to build one for him instead of blowing USD70 on it.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.