The Real Proof that Tiger's Game is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2010 and 2011 Tiger kept shooting lousy round after lousy round and then saying afterwards, "I'm close."

He's now shot 6 rounds in a row in the 60s. He finished 3rd behind a fantastic performance by Rory last week, and this week he is one stroke off the lead in an elite 70 person field at the BMW. Yet, for the past two days his interviews have been filled with comments about "not having it" and "fighting his swing" and "just grinding" and "trying to score."

Tiger spent a lot of time over the past few years cheerleading for his game and deflecting criticism. He's now BACK in the spot he used to always occupy: where he's his strongest critic.

I agree 100%. The Tiger of old is back, but he looks different somehow...can't quite put my finger on it...

article-2187444-1485A442000005DC-119_634x412.jpg

eoscar

There is a huge difference between Tiger being one of the best players in the world and being "back." When Tiger Woods was Tiger Woods he was the best player in the world, it wasn't even close, case closed. No discussion, not conversation, no healthy debate, it was case closed -- end of story. He intimidated everybody, decimated golf courses, and devastated fields. When he teed it up you were playing for 2nd. By the standard set for everybody else Tiger has had a nice year. Phil Mickelson had a lot of nice years, but he was never Tiger Woods either.

Tiger isn't back, he's closer than he was, but he isn't back. As Mgranato pointed out, the closest thing to vintage Tiger is present day Rory and that too, isn't that close.

ej20

New
Tiger is back close to his best but don't expect him to dominate golf like he did in 2000.

I have always suspected Tiger developed the driver yips and it has been confirmed in Haney's book.I believe he still has them even though he's currently number 2 in total driving.He is 31 in driving distance which confirms he avoids the driver like the plague on most days.He hits mostly irons and 3 woods off the tee.He would easily be in the top5 driving distance if he used the driver more considering his clubhead speed.

It remains to be seen if he can win 5 more majors with the driver yips.He had better knock em close with the irons and putt lights out.

I agree 100%. The Tiger of old is back, but he looks different somehow...can't quite put my finger on it...

\

Why is Rory so happy to carry the trophy over to Tiger like that???????????????????? It's a nice gesture...... but...... I'm just saying.

Tiger can't just come 'back'. In order to dominate the tour the way he used to he'll have to come back stronger. The fields are tougher now...

hp12c

New

Very funny, but Rory is not even close to TW, he is younger and can continue winning up untill TW regains his form and basically relegates him and others back to playing for the 2nd spot.;)

If Tiger being "back" means #1 in the World then heck yeah he has a chance...Tiger circa 2000 ain't walking through that door.

Very funny, but Rory is not even close to TW, he is younger and can continue winning up untill TW regains his form and basically relegates him and others back to playing for the 2nd spot.;)

Rory is better now. Now compare them when they both were Rory's age. If there is a difference, it ain't by much.

And if you think Tiger has another gear above what he's already shown this year... I say poooy. :)

I dont think Tiger is back especially on the greens. Tee to green he seems pretty close although wedge game not that hot on occasions. Just his putting doesnt give you the confidence like it used too. Wish he would go back to the Scotty as he really did hole the world with that wand.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I dont think Tiger is back especially on the greens. Tee to green he seems pretty close although wedge game not that hot on occasions. Just his putting doesnt give you the confidence like it used too. Wish he would go back to the Scotty as he really did hole the world with that wand.

I'd agree, he put himself in place to win many more tournaments and just couldn't putt it.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tiger is back close to his best but don't expect him to dominate golf like he did in 2000.

I have always suspected Tiger developed the driver yips and it has been confirmed in Haney's book.I believe he still has them even though he's currently number 2 in total driving.He is 31 in driving distance which confirms he avoids the driver like the plague on most days.He hits mostly irons and 3 woods off the tee.He would easily be in the top5 driving distance if he used the driver more considering his clubhead speed.

It remains to be seen if he can win 5 more majors with the driver yips.He had better knock em close with the irons and putt lights out.

Haney probably gave them to him with his giant in/out path.

Anyway, I'd love to see Tiger's new TM driver #'s with AOA. I'd bet he still hits down a bunch to play his big ass pull fade. Yeah, that's going to hamper your overall distance. He is also one of the best long iron players ever so if he is hitting more irons and 3 woods to hit slightly longer irons into greens i think he'll be ok.

He just needs the putter to get going again.

Haney probably gave them to him with his giant in/out path.

Anyway, I'd love to see Tiger's new TM driver #'s with AOA. I'd bet he still hits down a bunch to play his big ass pull fade. Yeah, that's going to hamper your overall distance. He is also one of the best long iron players ever so if he is hitting more irons and 3 woods to hit slightly longer irons into greens i think he'll be ok.

He just needs the putter to get going again.

Didn't Haney have driver yips? Is there any surprise that he infected Tiger?

ej20

New
Haney did have the driver yips and he claimed to have overcome them so perhaps that is one of the reasons Tiger went to him in the first place..to overcome his.

Haney said in his book that Tiger had the yips before he started coaching him.Haney may have done a no no in exposing Tiger's private stuff but I doubt he would outright fabricate things without facing serious repercussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.