The Real Proof that Tiger's Game is Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Rory's "putts gained" performance was actually worse that Tiger's yesterday. Just sayin.

That's great and i'm not trying to start a Rory/Tiger argument. Putts gained negated, Tiger missed a lot of putts that others were making. He burned a lot of edges instead of going down and those were the difference of him having a chance to win versus being behind a few shots at the end.

That's great and i'm not trying to start a Rory/Tiger argument. Putts gained negated, Tiger missed a lot of putts that others were making. He burned a lot of edges instead of going down and those were the difference of him having a chance to win versus being behind a few shots at the end.

But doesn't everyone have those? Why is it only Tiger that burns edges? Phil missed putts...so did DJ. I think Tiger is playing unreal don't get me wrong but I have been hearing the "if only he made more putts" mantra since his comeback started. It's golf.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
But doesn't everyone have those? Why is it only Tiger that burns edges? Phil missed putts...so did DJ. I think Tiger is playing unreal don't get me wrong but I have been hearing the "if only he made more putts" mantra since his comeback started. It's golf.

conkanen

I can tell you are not a Tiger fan, that's fine and i'm not trying to apologize for Tiger i'm trying to unbiased post on what i saw with my eyes during the broadcast. Unfortunately i deleted the broadcast off my DVR otherwise i'd go back and count all the putts missed by everyone; Rory missed some, Phil did too, and so did Vijay.

HOWEVER

On this Tournament Sunday, Tiger missed more putts including an easy par putt that he botched for bogey on the par 3 that Phil/Rory/Vijay were making. You aren't going to make them all thus giving support to your statement however these greens weren't tough and Tiger was keeping pace on Thurs/Fri with making putts when he should have as were the other leaders keeping him around the top of the leaderboard. However he stopped making the putts he was making on thursday and friday and he realistically didn't have a chance to win towards the end.

Tiger didn't birdie a single Par 5 yesterday cause he hit poor drives on all of them. I think that had more to do with him not getting second place. :)

Yeah even with his erratic driving he still manages to finish only 3 behind. He is still a little inconsistent and just can not seem to build momentum at key times, we all know how important that is in this game. While this year was nowhere near tigers best, it is still a good platform to build on for next season.

[...] Putts gained negated, Tiger missed a lot of putts that others were making. He burned a lot of edges instead of going down and those were the difference of him having a chance to win versus being behind a few shots at the end.

not looking for an argument, but isn't the point of the putts-gained stat that it should tell you fairly accurately how well someone is putting, relative to the field?

not looking for an argument, but isn't the point of the putts-gained stat that it should tell you fairly accurately how well someone is putting, relative to the field?

I think what jim is refering to is momentum killers, and it seems to extend to the rest of his game this year. He just can not seem to get things going. Its like he is playing with the handbrake on.

conkanen

I can tell you are not a Tiger fan, that's fine and i'm not trying to apologize for Tiger i'm trying to unbiased post on what i saw with my eyes during the broadcast. Unfortunately i deleted the broadcast off my DVR otherwise i'd go back and count all the putts missed by everyone; Rory missed some, Phil did too, and so did Vijay.

HOWEVER

On this Tournament Sunday, Tiger missed more putts including an easy par putt that he botched for bogey on the par 3 that Phil/Rory/Vijay were making. You aren't going to make them all thus giving support to your statement however these greens weren't tough and Tiger was keeping pace on Thurs/Fri with making putts when he should have as were the other leaders keeping him around the top of the leaderboard. However he stopped making the putts he was making on thursday and friday and he realistically didn't have a chance to win towards the end.

What does being a Tiger fan have to do with it? mgranato posted the year long stats. Tiger is putting fine (26th). He didn't lose on Sunday b/c of putting anymore than Rory won b/c of it. He shot Even on the Par 5's b/c he stunk off the tee on those holes. All this subjective bantor about him not making putts can be applied to any of the guys in the hunt and I showed that statisically Rory putted worse than Tiger on Sunday. Nothing more.

ej20

New
Like I said,put a driver in Tiger's hands under pressure and it becomes a crap shoot at best.Driver yips.He is long enough with the 3 wood so he is statistically a "good driver".

Tiger is not back to his best but it's a testament to his talent that he can contend without being a good driver.He has always scrambled well.His birdie conversions on par 5's is well behind Rory.

Rory won on Sunday with his driver,not his putter.

Yes but you also have to figure in when the putts are made. Make most everything Thursday and Friday and get in contention, not make everything on Saturday and Sunday especially timely putts for par to keep momentum. It averages out to a decent putts gained stat but it isn't good enough to be the Tiger of Old.

Status
Not open for further replies.