You gotta love these guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Feature article in this months GD has an article on downcocking, or float loading, re-named as the "V-Gap". I love it. Lets reinvent the wheel a hundred more times and take credit for a "discovery".

Not hating...just struck me as really funny.

Eh, I'm hating on it. It's fraudulent.

That's it, instead of talking about lag and such, I'm coming up with my own article on 'trailing' and how that's the real key to the golf swing and how I found 'trailing.'

3JACK

"Renaming", "new discoveries", "secrets revealed" seem pretty prevalent in golf for some reason. Well, not just golf. People seem to be trying too hard to make their mark. And there's GD just perpetuating it. I think golf needs more like you, Brian and the rest of his "crew" to bring information that has already been discovered and let people know that there is no real "secret", just good scientific evidence. In just about any other discipline these guys would be hugely ridiculed.

Last edited:
Yeah
I saw that also. I thought it was funny. I believe he and his asst. spent countless hours researching this(really). He'll write a book similar to the x-factor and make millions. What a joke.

Come on guys, the V-Gap is the real deal and is a completely new discovery that will revolutionize golf as we know it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't understand how people can read GD/Golf year in and year out and continue to believe that anything of extreme significance has been discovered in the golf swing. If as many developments/discoveries had come about in the golf swing as these magazines proclaimed (which seems to be once or twice per year), the pros would drive it 400 yards and hit the stick 3-4 times a round.

Just saw the article today (good article on Ken Green in there).

What's funny is that it's not just float loading that he is trying to take credit for discovering, it's clubhead lag as well as they show a picture of Zach Johnson's 'V-Gap.'

Also saw a tip where some teacher who will go unnamed claims that impact position and address position are virtually the same. Sure they are, if you want to never break 90.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just saw the article today (good article on Ken Green in there).

What's funny is that it's not just float loading that he is trying to take credit for discovering, it's clubhead lag as well as they show a picture of Zach Johnson's 'V-Gap.'

Also saw a tip where some teacher who will go unnamed claims that impact position and address position are virtually the same. Sure they are, if you want to never break 90.

3JACK

I saw that too and threw up in my mouth.

If I was Zach Johnson, I'd be pissed if some hack teacher was going around saying I had a V-gap. Them's fightin' words.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I saw the Flick tip as well. He says Snead was identical to setup at impact and it is CLEAR that his hips and shoulders are more open and his right arm is more under.

He glossed over a lot....typical of a Digest tip

It also is an article that just regurgitates the same stuff this guy has been writing about for thirty years. He may be a good instructor, I know someone who took lessons from him in New York years ago and he really did amazing things to change his swing. What he writes and puts on video is hardly revolutionary, nor has it ever been.

Another one...

In a recent GOLF Magazine article, Top 100 Teacher Jim Suttie said the primary reason amateurs struggle with slicing is that they spend too much time "focusing on club face angle and path, and not enough on the connection of the left arm to the chest at impact".

Right... because connecting your arm for certain causes the correct path and clubface angle at impact.

Once again, pop-golf misidentifies potential contributing factors as primary causes for ball flight, rather than affects on actual impact conditions.

All that matters is face, path, and descent angle relative to target. That's it.

All that matters is face, path, and descent angle relative to target. That's it.

And not even that much really matters. The more and more I study the game and the swing the more I start to think that this game is primarily about controlling the clubface. The golfer with more precise clubface control, be it the driver or the 5-iron or the putter, etc.....will likely shoot the lower score.

3JACK

And not even that much really matters. The more and more I study the game and the swing the more I start to think that this game is primarily about controlling the clubface. The golfer with more precise clubface control, be it the driver or the 5-iron or the putter, etc.....will likely shoot the lower score.
3JACK

Having struggled with this game for a while, I would have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.