Tiger Woods Adjusts, and Wins Again! by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
He’s simply the best.

Only when you are better than your competition—in Tiger’s case much better—can you beat ‘em with your “B” game.

Tiger assault on the record book continued Sunday, as he struggled off the tee, yet won by 2 over a newly confident Woody Austin.

Fighting a below plane start down, which even someone with Tiger’s strength can’t get “back on top of,” Tiger followed his major championship record tying 63 on Saturday with a scrambling one under par 69.

He has made some fairly noticeable changes since the (British) Open Championship a couple of weeks ago. He was standing closer to the ball, swinging more upright with less left arm rotation going back, and had much less of the Hogan-esque reverse swivel finish.

One day soon, Tiger will find a new pattern that fits his new physique and at least for a time, will be unbeatable again.

He is beatable these days, and might have lost this one if Ernie Els or Austin has made a better run at him. The guy who has Tiger’s number—at least some of the time, like Trevino had Jack’s—either hasn’t been born yet, or is still looking for their magic pattern and putting stroke, and for now, on a mini-tour or a college team.

He’s great for golf, and great for sport, and for now, unquestionably the finest athlete in sport, and far and away the best golfer of his time.

lia41985

Straight from Tiger's mouth...

During his post-PGA press conference, as seen on TGC, Tiger said that he hasn't changed anything in his swing. In responding to the idea that his swing looked flat at the British, Tiger said yes, that was purposeful because he felt the flatter swing helped him hit the ball lower--which he felt like he needed to do in the wind at Carnoustie. When asked about whether or not he was standing closer to the ball, Tiger said no, the distance he stands from the ball hasn't changed, but that his posture is better.

Just relaying the info... Make of it what you will (as if I had to say that)...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"...Must be the tears in my eyes..." —Elton John

During his post-PGA press conference, as seen on TGC, Tiger said that he hasn't changed anything in his swing. In responding to the idea that his swing looked flat at the British, Tiger said yes, that was purposeful because he felt the flatter swing helped him hit the ball lower--which he felt like he needed to do in the wind at Carnoustie. When asked about whether or not he was standing closer to the ball, Tiger said no, the distance he stands from the ball hasn't changed, but that his posture is better.

Just relaying the info... Make of it what you will (as if I had to say that)...

Tiger is fibbing—of course.

His press conferences are all about corn, and he throws it with the best of them. Lou Holtz probably is very proud.

I agree with BM

After watching Tiger hit the ball for about an hour on the driving range during this year's past Master's, I agree with BM that Tiger is shoveling it. His swing looked very flat to me then and I am pretty sure I posted something saying as much since I have been to the last three Masters tournaments and have been able to watch Tiger each year. Anyhoo - why would Tiger come clean? Also, his "swing coach" was noticibly abscent - could BM's prediction be coming to pass?

lia41985

dsparks,
Haney was not with Tiger at the PGA because his wife had a medical procedure. I anticipated that the conspiracy theorists would say something like that. Also, Tiger said in his conference that he's still working with Haney. I could care less about Haney--but I am a HUGE Tiger fan. I just want people to write accurately about him. That is all.

Thanks for confirming everything I noticed about Tigers swing BM. :D

Tiger was beatable and I was really hoping Woody would have done it.

His short game is what won it for him today.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
There is a 'different' relationship between Tiger and Haney, according to TGC. 'Tiger will do more on his own, and will make an occasional phone call, when needed'

So it has definitely changed, how much is anyone's guess!

lia41985

Damon Lucas--was this an article or on television?

Article from yesterday SLAMMING Haney--http://www.startribune.com/golf/story/1358688.html

Article by Pete McDaniel talking about Tiger's current "swing fix"--http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/pgachampionship07/news/story?id=2970502

Tiger apparently did spend SOME time with Haney @ Tulsa:
But as it turns out, Tulsa has been a pretty good spot for brushes with greatness. Earlier in the week, the world's No. 1 player was seen with coach Hank Haney at a Starbucks. Woods ordered under the name "Russell" and reportedly could only offer a sheepish grin when the barista, apparently the only person in the joint who didn't recognize him, kept calling out his pseudonym.
From--http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6603004

More Tiger/Haney rumors:
There are even whispers within the small, not-so-close-knit community of top swing instructors that Woods may have lost some confidence in Haney. Tight-lipped as Woods is, it's hard to know how much credence to give that talk.
http://www.courant.com/sports/golf/hc-pgaadv0805.artaug05,0,695713.story

Last edited:

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
It was tv-I think Chamblee said he talked to Haney...

This will be different from the Harmon split-I think Tiger is good enough, and smart enough to work on things by himself...After all, he has been posting on the Manzella forum for a while now under the pseudenym 'Mandrin'!!

Tiger/Haney

For what it's worth...Mike Bennett came home for the weekend to our home course and when I talked to him on the range he was pretty certain that Tiger had split from Haney and that his recent swing changes were more than just adjusting ball flight after Carnoustie. As Brian wisely noted, Tiger was fibbing.

Bruce

It was tv-I think Chamblee said he talked to Haney...

This will be different from the Harmon split-I think Tiger is good enough, and smart enough to work on things by himself...After all, he has been posting on the Manzella forum for a while now under the pseudenym 'Mandrin'!!
Damon,

Why did you have to spill the beans?

I am very much disappointed. :(

lia41985

For what it's worth...Mike Bennett came home for the weekend to our home course and when I talked to him on the range he was pretty certain that Tiger had split from Haney and that his recent swing changes were more than just adjusting ball flight after Carnoustie. As Brian wisely noted, Tiger was fibbing.

Bruce
Thanks for the info.

If Woods does leave Haney who would he go and work with then. We would all like Brian to become his coach but i think Brian would be to much of a threat to his ego and would become too big a name. Any suggestions as to who would be in line.

"unquestionably the finest athlete in sport"

Disagree-----Michael Phelps, swimmer---absolutely destroying his competition, even swimming events/strokes he barely practices. What he is doing in swimming is the equivalent of Tiger winning tournaments playing playing some of the holes left-handed. Golf is a game. Swimming is a sport.
(Don't get me wrong, I LOVE golf and what Tiger is doing is nothing short of phenomenal. He's one of the few golfers I would actually call an athlete. However, the average PGA Tour player is really not in much better physical condition than his age-equivalent regular civilian who works-out a little)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Pretty much every top level player works out now.

So the argument of the "average PGA Tour player" is not really valid anymore. The average player works out a ton. The media doesn't do a really good job sharing this fact as they like to focus on the ones that don't (Daly, Herron, Stadler) If those three comprise the "average PGA Tour player" then I suppose you are right, but I would say 105 out of the top 125 work out hard and quite often. Again, hardly an average.

Lastly, swimming really isn't in the same league as golf viewer wise. The only time it is shown is during the Olympics, golf is shown every weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.