BLOG: For The First Time Ever - by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.
In these cases, justly so.

For instance, I have been a singer all my life. In golf terms, I am a "competitive amateur" with a 1 handicap.

I have "won" a couple small events, but I am FAR, FAR, from being a guy with a recording contract.

If I go to a "method" singing coach, and I change a whole bunch of technical things about my delivery and tone, and I get a small contract and have a minor hit, the coach deserves an award and as much praise as the media can provide.

If I stay a karaoke wonder, and no better, no one would be critical of the coach.

However, if Kenny Chesney, or Beyonce goes to a "method teacher," and they fall from grace—not because of lack of good material and management—but because their new sound didn't sell, they should rip that singing coach from Nashville to L.A.

Get it now?

i play guitar we should jam sometimes.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Manzella Graphic

Would someone explain swinging on the elbow plane vs. the turned shoulder plane? ANy pictures or diagrams available? Thx.

tspvsep.jpg

Brıan and staff ı have a questıon, How would Nıcklaus best from hıs steep posıtıon before ımpact draw the ball?? and also players lıke Nelson best fade the ball from these posıtıons??

Could you maybe also explaın the dıfference ın the transıtıon and how Nelson gets on the elbow plane seeıng how he ıs across the lıne at the top?? It makes more sense to me when one ıs across the lıne to naturally come down the TSP??

Thanks.

Downshifting

Awesome job Brian. You coining the term "downshifting" is very big!!!! Now that you've defined it, I can see where the "downshift" is where many swing problems occur. Am I correct in reading in to your posts that you believe that one is naturally inclined to swing on one plane or the other..and you should honor your own natural inclination?

Thanks.

Phil putted much better when he worked with Jackie Burke on putting, which he did from 04-05. Phil likes to tinker which is fine, his problem is his stroke that Pelz is trying to teach him won't work with a heel shafted putter. He needs a center shafted putter to putt straight back and thru.

Phil putted much better when he worked with Jackie Burke on putting, which he did from 04-05. Phil likes to tinker which is fine, his problem is his stroke that Pelz is trying to teach him won't work with a heel shafted putter. He needs a center shafted putter to putt straight back and thru.

i had thought that pelz was just helping phil with his course management and his wedge play, etc. i didn't realize he was messing with his putting stroke too.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Brıan and staff ı have a questıon, How would Nıcklaus best from hıs steep posıtıon before ımpact draw the ball?? and also players lıke Nelson best fade the ball from these posıtıons??

Thanks.

The plane angle you choose doesn't matter, it is all in the relationship to the path and the face (D-Plane).

RD, Phil goes into detail on why he believes the stroke

should travel on an arc and why he uses a heel shafted putter on his short game DVD. I'm not sure why his putting isn't sharp but I'm sure he'll get it figured out.

Would body type have any influence on whether one would chose the elbow plane or shoulder plane style swing? Looks like Garcia and Hogan (slim/flexible) tend to have better success with the elbow plane?

Would body type have any influence on whether one would chose the elbow plane or shoulder plane style swing? Looks like Garcia and Hogan (slim/flexible) tend to have better success with the elbow plane?

I would think so..although maybe someone has an example of the exception to the rule. I think its a little harder to get down to the elbow plane if you have a big chest, but it can be done. I think it might have to do with flexibility and tempo.

Here's an excerpt from an L.A. Times article that describes what the two of them have/are working on...

"Phil Mickelson told Pelz he wanted to shave one-quarter stroke per round off his average 18-hole score.

Since Pelz joined Team Mickelson in late 2003, the left-hander has not only accomplished his goal, but won three majors.

"We got about a stroke off his average the first year, a half stroke the second year and a little less than half a stroke the third year," Pelz says."

"When he began working with Mickelson, Pelz didn't mess with his grip, stance or posture. Instead, he focused on reading greens.

With the aid of Pelz's voice-activated "LazrAimer," Mickelson could not believe how badly he had been misreading greens. After implementing changes suggested by Pelz, Mickelson now misses the same number of putts above the hole as he does below."

And from a Golf Digest article...

"One area in which Mickelson has never been stellar statistically is his vaunted short game. According to Dave Pelz, who has worked with him on wedge play and putting, "As far as raw skill, Phil is the best I've seen. But Phil thinks of the short game as a way to save himself from disaster more than as a way to create scoring opportunities."

Pelz has a harder time assessing Mickelson's putting. Statistically, Mickelson has been third, second and sixth in putting in the last three years. But there is no way to ignore that Mickelson has become identified as much for his erratic short putting--like his five-putt from 15 feet this year at the Players Championship--as he is for his flop shot.

"The short misses puzzle me," says Pelz. "All I can say is that most of them seem to be high-side power lips. He doesn't blow them weak and low side like a guy who's scared. So I think he has to focus more on speed on his short putts. But he's the best 20-foot putter out there. He doesn't lead in birdies by accident.""

ggsjpc

New
So far this year, Tiger's GIR % is 63.9. His lowest percentage since turning pro in 1996. With GIR being the leading indicator for scoring it's no wonder.....

Interesting... So I've got and looked at my swing, and I'm pretty sure I'm on the shoulder plane.

What are the main differences in setup and swing an elbow planer should do versus a shoulder planer?

You see, if a golfer who is “at home” on the elbow plane is swinging steeper than that towards the ball, he will instinctively drop the club toward the elbow plane pre-impact, too late to “get back on top of it” and the resulting open clubface and rightward path, adds up to “fore right.”

Brian, Can you elaborate on this a little, especially "too late to get back on top of it". I can't quite visualize that.

As you might remember, at one time I was trying to steepen my downswing, with mixed results. One of the last times I saw you, you made the comment that "you are a elbow plane player and that's all there is to it".

Easily in the top ten things I have learned in my 27 years of teaching, is the simple fact that you either are a relatively shallow “elbow plane” through impact golfer, or you are on a steeper, through the turned right shoulder plane one.

This may help explain my difficulty...

Thanks

Actually, my bad, I'm on the elbow plane. Anyway, I wonder how much height has to do with this..

Don't shorter players typically have a flatter shoulder turn, so they have to be more on the elbow plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.