BLOG: For The First Time Ever - by Brian Manzella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
For The First Time Ever

by Brian Manzella

For the first time in golf history, maybe in any sport’s history, the best two players in that sport are being held back by the methodology of their current instructors.

Tiger Woods looks like a poorly cast actor, portraying Ben Hogan in a multi-cultural remake of “Follow the Sun.”

Phil Mickelson, looks a poorly cast actor in an action flick titled: “Terminator hits a Slice in a Straight Jacket.”

It’s time guys, and everyone knows it.

At least with Woods, almost anyone who remembers the 1997 Tiger, or the 2000 Tiger, the guy who didn’t have to make three practice swings before every shot, and pointed at the hole while a putt dropped, more than at the far right rough.

Phil is confusing us with his ugly-for-him shirts and poor putting, but I know better.

Butch fits worse than the shirts.

Easily in the top ten things I have learned in my 27 years of teaching, is the simple fact that you either are a relatively shallow “elbow plane” through impact golfer, or you are on a steeper, through the turned right shoulder plane one.

Nicklaus, turned shoulder. Watson? Same. Palmer—ditto.

Garcia, elbow. Nelson? As well. Hogan—absolutely, babe.

Trying to make an apple an orange just hasn’t worked—to my knowledge—in golf instruction history.

Butch thinks the elbow plane is a mistake.

Guess where Phil’s been since he mirrored his pop’s right-handed swing?

Yup. The elbow plane.

Now, little Eldrick was also on that shallower plane since before the Mike Douglass show, and Butch will tell you he “fixed” that, but I had TiVo back then, and I have I have YouTube now, and Tiger was still on the elbow plane on most shots in ‘ought-ought.

Butch had all sorts of plans for Tiger’s swing, many that Tiger never put into action, and one of them was the removal of the elbow plane altogether.

Butch thought it to be the cause of Tiger’s new miss at the time, the right-to-right-and-then-point-over-there shot.

Funny thing, the cure was the cause.

You see, if a golfer who is “at home” on the elbow plane is swinging steeper than that towards the ball, he will instinctively drop the club toward the elbow plane pre-impact, too late to “get back on top of it” and the resulting open clubface and rightward path, adds up to “fore right.”

The more Butch told Tiger that this natural drop was the club “getting stuck behind him,” the more Tiger got under late, and eventually looked elsewhere for answers.

As luck would have it, his playing companion those days was often Mark O’Meara, a pal who was Hank Haney’s #1 student.

When Mark or Hank suggested—and Tiger tried—“shallower” to fix the right shot, he was instantly fixed.

He rediscovered the "elbow plane" of his youth. All is well...

Or so he thought.

You see, if Tiger would have just returned “home” to the elbow plane, and left his backswing where he and Butch had gotten it, he probably would have been just fine.

Ideal? Maybe not.

In a pickle like he is now? No way.

But folks, that is what happens when you go to see a “method teacher,” you get the matching serving spoons and forks as well as the silverware.

Why?

Because, method teachers are almost always trying to justify their existence on the planet through the “right” pupil.

So, Hank put in the "pop-out" takeaway, followed by the rapid left arm "flying wedge" rotation, the parallel plane theory, the high right shoulder please-don't-go-left—O'Meara-ish—high right shoulder save move, and of course the Hogan-copied 'gather up the marbles" finish.

Poor Tiger

Poor Phil.

Before anyone ever criticizes me for being cocky and critical of other teachers, they should spend some time with Harmon and Haney.

Those guys both think they are right all the time, and have done less adjusting to their ideal in the last 10 years than I have in the last 10 months.

Phil, go find someone who will let you make your full backswing like Don January and John Daly, let you down-shift like Sam Snead, and let you putt like the guy you copied—Ben Crenshaw, and not like Howard Twitty.

Tiger, here it is buddy, and I mean it.

Grip: Anywhere you want, as long as it is stronger than now, and weaker than ’97.

Backswing: No “pop-out,” and your ’97 right arm positions.

Downswing: Shift—when and how you want—to the elbow plane, but swing left enough to make TrackMan happy.

Finish: Anything but that fake, Ben Hogan copy you use now. Think more Nick-loss, and less O’Meara.

That’s how you got in this mess to start with.

Who moves first and where?

I say Tiger, but where would he go (if he didn't first go to the host with the most)?

Nice Brian.

Eldricks Masters swing has always looked good. And especially post-SD.

How does Phil differ from 'Crenshaw'?

Howard Twitty??

Phil has had the push fade miss since Smith no?

It's not a Butch endorsement, trust me, but at least he is hitting up on his driver now.

Brian,

If Tiger shifted to the elbow plane could he get rid of his goofy "high right side,block it off the planet" Downswing pivot move? Thanks.

I always enjoy your analysis of the swing and the way in which you attach something more than assumptions to why you believe the things you do. I was a bit surprised at your comments about Phil's putting. Not that I know any better, but just that I had always "thought" he was a better putter day-in-day-out than most give him credit for. What you wrote in your blog got me curious, so I did some hunting.

I wanted to compare Phil's putting (per GIR) against two of the best putters currently in the game. The first is Tiger, who has the popular perception of being the best putter playing (and some think of all time). The other being David Toms, who is always regarded as one of the "purest" strokes on Tour. I went back 10 years for the collected data (except for Tiger's '08 season which he must not have logged enough rounds to earn a ranking). I also thought it important to find each players "proximity to the hole" so as to note how far away these guys were putting from on average.

Here are their stats from '99-'08 in the order of average Tour rank and average Putts per GIR...
Phil - 14th, 1.739
Tiger - 29th, 1.743
David - 34th, 1.754

David had the best year in '02 with 1.704, his worst year during the range was the following year at 1.773. Tiger's best year was '00 (no surprise, right?) with 1.717, while his worst year was the following year at 1.775 (and by far the highest ranking of the three at 102nd). Phil's best year was in '01 and '02 at 1.717, while his worst year was in '08 at 1.761. David was incredible in '02 nearly breaking into 1.6ish territory, but never had as bad a putting year as Tiger's worse. Phil never got as low as David, but did have back-to-back years equalling Tiger's best year. Phil also never had as bad a year as Tiger's or David's worst.

In the midst of all these figures is the "proximity to the hole". I found numbers for the '02-'07 seasons. How far a player putts from obviously plays a huge part in how successful they putt. Here's their average distance from the hole in those six years...
David - 33' 2"
Tiger - 33' 10.5"
Phil - 36' 0"

These numbers were very surprising. Not that David and Tiger hit it nearly 3' closer on average, but that Phil had a better putting average while hitting it farther from the hole. I wonder what his putting average would be if he managed to figure out how to putt from 3' closer?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
How does Phil differ from 'Crenshaw'?

His stroke used to look a lot more like Crenshaw's.

But all that changed after Dave Pelz came along.

Howard Twitty??

According to Pelz, he had a great stroke—learned form Pelz.

Phil has had the push fade miss since Smith no?

It should be noted that Phil's old instructor, before Smith, was Dean Rienmuth, who allowed more freedom in Phil's technique pre-Smith.

It's not a Butch endorsement, trust me, but at least he is hitting up on his driver now.

From a too steep-for-him plane.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
...I was a bit surprised at your comments about Phil's putting. Not that I know any better, but just that I had always "thought" he was a better putter day-in-day-out than most give him credit for...

We really don't discuss DT around here.

But let's talk Tiger.

Tiger putting or Phil putting....????

Hmmm...

The stats say Phil.

But see if they have this stat:

Percentage of Putts made—when you HAVE TO—to either win a big event, or tie to get in a playoff, with the whole world watching:

Tiger near 100%

Phil....I don't have the numbers or he memory, but I'd say, not as good.

Anyhoo, It was just a shot a Pelz, who hasn't improved Phil's putting much at all.

Brian,

I think that maybe I have the reverse problem of Tiger and Phil; I have been trying to make the elbow plane work for quite some time, but it seems like maybe a move to a steeper plane might be the trick.

Have you ever encountered someone like myself? Who plays better from a steeper plane but is currently playing from the elbow plane? Thoughts?

We really don't discuss DT around here.

But let's talk Tiger.

Tiger putting or Phil putting....????

Hmmm...

The stats say Phil.

But see if they have this stat:

Percentage of Putts made—when you HAVE TO—to either win a big event, or tie to get in a playoff, with the whole world watching:

Tiger near 100%

Phil....I don't have the numbers or he memory, but I'd say, not as good.

Anyhoo, It was just a shot a Pelz, who hasn't improved Phil's putting much at all.

Sorry, didn't mean to bring up a name that's OB.

Would love to discuss the topic of the two players' "pressure putting", but I get the sense that this particular thread might not be the best time/place :eek:

Point taken :)

Brian, what happens when a natural turned shoulder plane path-er, tries to go to the elbow plane? A Rope hook?

I'm not Brian, but I've tried making this move - and did it in a lesson with Brian.

My experience is that learning to shift down is more about timing than anything. There's just a different rhythm to the transition from backswing to downswing, as you let your hands and arms drop down to the elbow plane. When I did this correctly it felt like I could hit the ball as hard as I wanted to and just easily and smoothly. When I did it incorrectly, two things happened:

1. If my transition was too quick I'd hit pulls or pull hoooks, i.e. coming over it.

2. If my transition was a bit too slow, I'd block it, i.e. I would drop to the elbow plane, but the never really get back to the ball.

In my own case, I didn't succeed in making this transition - perhaps if I'd had more follow-up lessons with Brian I could have pulled it off. Instead, I've flattened my backswing out a bit and added a bit MORE rotation (unlike most diagnoses around here, I have NO problem getting the UP in my backswing - my problem is getting too steep) then I hit it from the same plane I'm at in the top of my swing, but the backswing change let me eliminate the "too steep" problem without making the shift.

I loved the feel of it, but I don't think it was a natural move for me. Perhaps, like NOT shifting isn't a natural move for Phil or Tiger...

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Edit.

I have since edited my BLOG to...

"Because, method teachers are almost always trying to justify their existence on the planet through the “right” pupil.

So, Hank put in the "pop-out" takeaway, followed by the rapid left arm "flying wedge" rotation, the parallel plane theory, the high right shoulder please-don't-go-left—O'Meara-ish—high right shoulder save move, and of course the Hogan-copied 'gather up the marbles" finish.

Poor Tiger."

...for clarity.

Hank likes the elbow plane. Butch does not.

ggsjpc

New
Seems interesting to me how swing coaches gather so much credit and so much flack for the work done by their students.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Mr. Analogy strikes again...

Seems interesting to me how swing coaches gather so much credit and so much flack for the work done by their students.

In these cases, justly so.

For instance, I have been a singer all my life. In golf terms, I am a "competitive amateur" with a 1 handicap.

I have "won" a couple small events, but I am FAR, FAR, from being a guy with a recording contract.

If I go to a "method" singing coach, and I change a whole bunch of technical things about my delivery and tone, and I get a small contract and have a minor hit, the coach deserves an award and as much praise as the media can provide.

If I stay a karaoke wonder, and no better, no one would be critical of the coach.

However, if Kenny Chesney, or Beyonce goes to a "method teacher," and they fall from grace—not because of lack of good material and management—but because their new sound didn't sell, they should rip that singing coach from Nashville to L.A.

Get it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.