The next Hogan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Elbow plane with divots pointing left...i like it alot.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpYjGOHQgFw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SpYjGOHQgFw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is really good.

However, if he wants to be the next Hogan, he has to hit muscleback blades.

Hogan used the ground more to push off of. Hogan was very 'squatty' at the halfway down point, especially in comparison to his knee flex at address. This golfer doesn't have that same look. Doesn't lower his CoG the same. Still, really awesome swing. Wish it was my own.

3JACK

footwedge

Doesn't look like Hogan's swing and i'll wait to see if he can win 9 majors and 64 tournaments before comparing him to Mr. Hogan, it's a bit early for that.

ej20

New
Definitely not a perfect copy of Hogan but a lot of pieces are there.Tempo is slower than Hogan so on the surface it looks nothing like him.

It's more of a Hogan/Trevino hybrid.Like Lee,he bows the left wrist to start the downswing.Hogan also had more lateral hip motion on the downswing.

He's only 15 so plenty of potential there.I can see plenty of "top 50" instructors stumbling over each other for a coaching contract if he was in the US.He's German I believe.

westy

New
Its pure. I say he makes it. It looks somehow contrived at the finish, but he has the flow.
Nobody is Hogan.

Last edited:

ej20

New
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxjlsDByLEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxjlsDByLEA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The Face On swing doesn't look as good to me as the DTL swing. Still a good swing. Hogan? Hogan had a ton of right arm saved well, well past impact. He runs out of it here pretty quickly past impact. Hogan also had a different and better footwork. I think that's why he was able to save the right arm in comparison to the golfer.

Motion wise I won't get into since this is just a junior golfer. Mechanics wise this kid is really, really good.

That being said, I don't think his teacher is doing him any favors calling him 'the next Hogan.' If anything, there are too many Hogan fanatics out there that will shoot this down, but that's big pressure to put on a kid anyway.

Plus, there's always somebody who comes with the line of thinking of 'good golfer at a young age = superstar in the making.' I can't begin to tell you how many golfers I've played with or watched that I saw the same thing and then they wound up not even making the PGA Tour. I'm sure Brian, Kevin can tell you the same thing as well.

I golfed once with Ted Oh. He was supposed to be the next superstar and he was great when I played with him. Now I have no idea where he is or if he's even still playing the game.

3JACK

ggsjpc

New
It's only those that continue to improve that make it. And no swing can substitute for knowing how to play and deal with the game. Swings don't make champions.

Slow the swing down, look at "follow through" (both arms straight for the "literalists") and check out the right leg and lack of good pivot lag. Kind of like a good looking woman in a beautiful party dress. Not always the same after the party is over and off. Slowing down the swing and being able to view it sometimes not as good as it looks full speed. I am sure he will be a good player.......but Hoganesque? Not yet!

Burner

New
I think the "Hogan" reference was to the quality of the striking - frozen ropes - and in no way intended as a likeness to Mr. Hogan's swing; of which there is little resemblence.

The 14 year old has clearly got more talent than 99.999% of his detractors (+3.5 index for goodness sake) so lets not jump all over him just yet for his lack of major championships.

I don't think people are knocking the player, but knocking the coach for jumping the gun and proclaiming he's the next Ben Hogan. Like I said, the coach isn't doing him any favors and I've seen this coach's videos of other students and he does the same thing calling them stuff like "Little Tiger" or whatever.

Personally as a former good junior golfer, I didn't want to be thought of as the 'next big thing' until I was actually 'the next big thing.'

3JACK

footwedge

I think the "Hogan" reference was to the quality of the striking - frozen ropes - and in no way intended as a likeness to Mr. Hogan's swing; of which there is little resemblence.

The 14 year old has clearly got more talent than 99.999% of his detractors (+3.5 index for goodness sake) so lets not jump all over him just yet for his lack of major championships.

It wasn't directed at the young fellow,he has obvious talent, but like Richie said his coach or whoever decided to compare him to Hogan isn't doing him any favors. So that's where the comments are directed at and intended for, give the kid some room to develop before attaching the "Next Hogan" tag on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.