My hands want to go towards the ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
So if Brian likes that pic, what can we learn from it?

it appears that...
1. from the top the hands go down and somewhat toward the ball
2 then along body
3. then left

So what is wrong with the statment that the hands go towards the ball?

Maybe that it is incomplete? or that Phase 1 (above) isn't quite right?

Hands with the Carry

The hands SHOULD NOT go toward the ball, or the plane line.

Next subject.

When I am practicing the Carry, my hands want to go toward the ball, unlike they tend to move when I am trying the underhanded javelin toss. Is it the case that the handpath will still be inside the ball and plane line when you are trying the NHA pattern, or any time you focus on carry?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So if Brian likes that pic, what can we learn from it?

it appears that...
1. from the top the hands go down and somewhat toward the ball
2 then along body
3. then left

So what is wrong with the statment that the hands go towards the ball?

Maybe that it is incomplete? or that Phase 1 (above) isn't quite right?

Somewhat toward the ball? They either go toward the ball or they dont, and his dont. If you have certain components you can go toward the ball but I personally dont think its desirable.

dbl

New
Well come on.

In phase 1, from the top, best as I can make it his hands from the top go towards a spot about 6" inside the ball. It might be slightly more accurate to say they go to the impact hand position, but for the first half of phase 1, from the top, that's not what it looks like...to me.

Btw, if you have a fat enough stomach, a player might not be able to see the impact hand position from the top...

Meaning no dispect, I would appreciate some more detailed answer(s).

if you draw a line down the shaft and the back of his left wrist it is pointing right at the ball, then he rolls as he gets closer to to the impact interval, where he has beautiful flat left wrist and left wrist uncocking action.

The force cant keep going at the ball or you will miss it entirely.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Well come on.

In phase 1, from the top, best as I can make it his hands from the top go towards a spot about 6" inside the ball. It might be slightly more accurate to say they go to the impact hand position, but for the first half of phase 1, from the top, that's not what it looks like...to me.

Btw, if you have a fat enough stomach, a player might not be able to see the impact hand position from the top...

No disrespect taken. There are certainly waaaaay more details regarding handpath, grip type and impact hand location. One thing though, if the hands go inside the ball, they arent driving toward impact hand location....initially.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
if you draw a line down the shaft and the back of his left wrist it is pointing right at the ball, then he rolls as he gets closer to to the impact interval, where he has beautiful flat left wrist and left wrist uncocking action.

The force cant keep going at the ball or you will miss it entirely.

It doesnt matter where the shaft is pointing to determine where the handpath is directed.

Why would you miss it if the hands go toward the ball? Maybe outside the ball without any left wrist uncocking.

Well come on.

What is the objective? You either want to apply the club (and I mean the whole club) correctly or you don't. If from the top, your hand path travels on a direct path to the ball, you obviously have to stand the shaft up and back it up to get the face on the ball. Both moves are "under-ish" and opening type moves. I would contend that I always would want the shaft and face to be applied in a way it was designed. The club head and shaft are designed to swing out to impact. An out hand path that makes the shaft stand up or back up will, at best, inhibit that action.

Obviously we are discussing the optimum way to achieve impact. Some of the best ball strikers have done it the other way, but you would certainly need to configure other parts to match. Strong grips, down arching and twisting the shaft about itself would be some of those alterations.

Just some thoughts, love the discussion.

happy new year everyone.

since op is using some type of machine, i wonder if there are some consistent trends about path and face or whatever data the machine can provide. i would think it would be more productive to see if there is any association between this hands- going- to- ball feeling and the data on his swing habit.

of course, if op can provide a swing video, to many great teachers on this forum, the video may provide more reliable info than the machine, imo.

short of some data and a video, we are possibly chasing op's feeling which may or may not be real. i mean, if op ends up hitting the ball,,,the hands cannot possibly go toward the ball,,,,that much.

the last 2 cents from me is that,,,not knowing how op times and sequences his hip and lower limbs, i find it not helpful to single out hand path. imo, the hand path is dependent to some degree on how and when the hips spin,,,dynamically dependent.

if the op spins out his hips too early, there can possibly be a feeling that hands are coming down from the outside toward the ball.

just saying.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get my hands somewhere close to this position...

handsz.gif

...from there I can swing them inside, down the line or out towards the target line according to which shot I'm attempting to play.

dbl

New
eta: Thanks Lindsey for the ide of matching club usage to design - had not seen it that way. And yes I've had some under-ish movements I'm trying to fix.

My main post:
Ok, I can live with it being that the full answer is complex. Whether there is an early or late tumble, or carry, the resulting hand paths would be totally different. I'll be glad when some 3d machines will map it out for variuous swings - I'd love to see the paths in detail.

Fortunately, I don't think of hand path very much in my actual swing. However I do think of some other arms elements in the downswing so I can get my right shoulder downplane correctly. I was just hoping hand path might clarify this area for me.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
eta: Thanks Lindsey for the ide of matching club usage to design - had not seen it that way. And yes I've had some under-ish movements I'm trying to fix.

My main post:
Ok, I can live with it being that the full answer is complex. Whether there is an early or late tumble, or carry, the resulting hand paths would be totally different. I'll be glad when some 3d machines will map it out for variuous swings - I'd love to see the paths in detail.

Fortunately, I don't think of hand path very much in my actual swing. However I do think of some other arms elements in the downswing so I can get my right shoulder downplane correctly. I was just hoping hand path might clarify this area for me.

The steeper the hand path the more potential for a shoulder that does NOT move "downplane".

Status
Not open for further replies.