My hands want to go towards the ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've dedicated this winter to improving my golf swing. I bought a P3Pro, which reads clubhead info, and simulates ball flights from that. Anyway, just been tooling around with my swing a lot and I realized that my biggest flaw is that my hands always want to go towards the ball during the downswing, which inevitably opens my clubface. I've been playing with everything from more rotation in the shoulders to dropping the hands straight down and using a centripetal release to using a no arms type of swing to pulling my lead arm straight towards my front foot. I've gotten all of them to work for a round or two on the simulator, but after awhile, that ole want to drive my hands towards the ball pops into my head and I'll hit a shot with like a 7* open clubface. I want to stop with the band aids and get to the root of the problem, but I just don't know what it is. I don't know why subconsciously, I do this, when consciously, I know exactly how I should be swinging the club? I rehearse my swing in slo-mo all the time, I use the tumble, I've tried being totally in line or even a crossing it a bit... But nothing lasts. And I work on my swing for about an hour and a half every night, so I really don't think it's from a lack of practice. I need to shift my mode of thinking from towards the ball to towards the target, but I just can't find that breakthrough swing thought. Can anybody help me? Sorry if it's long winded... Had a frustrating round at Pebble Beach just now...

WELCOME

I've dedicated this winter to improving my golf swing. I bought a P3Pro, which reads clubhead info, and simulates ball flights from that. Anyway, just been tooling around with my swing a lot and I realized that my biggest flaw is that my hands always want to go towards the ball during the downswing, which inevitably opens my clubface. I've been playing with everything from more rotation in the shoulders to dropping the hands straight down and using a centripetal release to using a no arms type of swing to pulling my lead arm straight towards my front foot. I've gotten all of them to work for a round or two on the simulator, but after awhile, that ole want to drive my hands towards the ball pops into my head and I'll hit a shot with like a 7* open clubface. I want to stop with the band aids and get to the root of the problem, but I just don't know what it is. I don't know why subconsciously, I do this, when consciously, I know exactly how I should be swinging the club? I rehearse my swing in slo-mo all the time, I use the tumble, I've tried being totally in line or even a crossing it a bit... But nothing lasts. And I work on my swing for about an hour and a half every night, so I really don't think it's from a lack of practice. I need to shift my mode of thinking from towards the ball to towards the target, but I just can't find that breakthrough swing thought. Can anybody help me? Sorry if it's long winded... Had a frustrating round at Pebble Beach just now...

WELCOME TO THE SITE GRAVEDIGGA....2 things

but I just can't find that breakthrough swing thought. Can anybody help me? Sorry if it's long winded... Had a frustrating round at Pebble Beach just now...[/QUOTE]

NUMBER 1.....you came to the right place for a good swing thought

number 2.... frustrating day at PEBBLE? AMIGO..WE HAVE FRIENDS HERE WHO CAN'T GET OUT OF THE HOUSE

OK THOSE YOU CAN.........HELP THE MAN

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Grave....why did you try to cross the line? That will force your hands toward the ball to pull the club in line with the hands/plane on the downswing. You may want to try the opposite.

Thanks for the welcomes!

I never got out of the house either... We just got hit with 8 inches of snow in NYC and that's a lot for us. Pebble was on my golf simulator.

Kevin, I tried crossing the line because I tend to get laid off, and it's hard for me to square the face consistently.. army golf. With crossing the line, I figured it would put my clubface in a square or closed position and all I would have to do is drop my arms and swing through. Obviously being in line is better, but either way, sometimes my hands want to go towards the ball.

My best swing thought to date is this:

I try to keep my lead arm's elbow facing the ground and as the downswing progresses towards the target, and never have it face to the left (I'm a lefty) of the target. As well as that has worked in general, I'll pull my lead shoulder up without going back which opens my clubface... It's like my mind wants to make the golf swing a thousand times harder as if it's not already hard enough.

dbl

New
When you say "toward the ball" do you mean an over the top move with your right shoulder
going toward the ball?

If you are talking about the hands they do have a motion towards the ball...at an angle. The Ben Doyle mat has projections from above of various paths and yes there is some path for the hands maybe 30-40 degrees canted from the target line...and it should be noted the hands wind up ahead of the ball. Does this sounds at all familiar?

I'm not an expert on his mat, but here is an image of it. Does the solid blue line seem to be what you are doing with your hands?

[media]http://www.golfingmachinist.com.au/upload/images/illusion_mat_1.jpg[/media]

chip: you're right, it doesn't. I just checked my impact position and it's not that my hands are in the wrong spot, it's just that my wrists weren't arched enough to square the face from that position. Thanks!

dbl: that solid blue line is exactly my hand path. My instructor had one but never busted it out.

Hmmm... so I guess you guys figured it out. That only took an hour and five minutes. Saved me weeks of beating myself over the head about this. Thanks!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Crap... Those were my two options. What's the third?

You do realize that the ball is on the way TO or FROM the plane line right?

:)

There is more than just a "third."

But, the hands DO NOT go, from the top, to the plane line, or the ball.

Look at some video of Hogan, or Sergio, and then come back and tell me.

(everyone else HUSH)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(everyone else HUSH)

NOW ur acting like the Brian i know u r...

good stuff

nice i like it.....

let me share something my parents taught me at a very young age....it really does work

"A man is not judged by how he speaks to the President of a corporation, but how he speaks to the JANITOR"

I live by those words........

Ben and Jeanette's son

alex and jacob's poppa

aj

Last edited:

(everyone else HUSH)

So I'm pretty new to this, but it looks like both Sergio and Hogan drop their arms to their sides and then rotate hard right? Is that on the right track?

lia41985

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G4DCZuAj5Mg" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fw3dhY1Qi1k" frameborder="0"></iframe>

When his downswing starts his hands are going at the ball, along with the end of the club. That can't continue or hed miss the ball. When he at impact he is not swinging his hands at the ball, but following his turning torso off to the left.

I guess im missing the point.

Swinging your hands at the ball would be a big steer move, causing all kinds of potential issues. Might even shank it.

I kind of feel dumb but I don't get the point either? It looks like his hands are going towards the ball and then following his body and turning left?

I always took "hands toward the ball" to mean higher shaft position and hands (i.e., more vertical, w/ the butt end of the club further away form the body) at impact.

It seems to me that it would make it harder to swing left, or consistently square the clubface. If you did square it from a "high hands, high shaft" position, wouldn't the toe dig more into the ground, or force you to leave it open a little?

EDIT: In other words, if Hogan's hands moved "more toward the ball," at impact ,his hands and right elbow wouldn't be as closely tucked to his body.

lia41985

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QLh2BC1hqFM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QLh2BC1hqFM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.