The Institute at Lake Presedential

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a brief write up of my recent visit to see Damon Lucas at his new facility in upper marlboro, Md.. It was a cold a windy day, around 35 degrees, but that is not a problem in this new state of the art facility. Damon constructed from scratch a purpose built golf instruction facility. It's an indoor facility at the back of the driving range, and the building is broken up into two separate spaces. One space is a bit larger. With several mats and a flight scope setup, the other holding the electronic gadgetry to accommodate the Taylor made 3D MATT system. Both spaces of the building have garage like doors that can open to allow hitting balls onto the range as well. Whether rain or shine, warm or cold, this place can stay open.

The lesson began with getting me into the 3D setup, and all I can say it's pretty cool. It generates a 3d model of your swing and includes swing data such path, face angle, angle of attack and more. We reviewed my swing and made some adjustments and took a few more reading. In my case I had an issue with my hips in the setup and it was cool to see the before and after, I went from looking like a total hacker to a real golfer. Don't confuse this with just looking good though. This adjustment needed to be made. Damon knows his stuff, and has a great personality and report.

Anyway. If you get the chance to check it out I think you will come away as happy as I was. Great job Damon, I'll be seeing you again soon.

Yea, I have to get down there! I was working in Annapolis ( about 15 minutes away from his facility ) up until the fall last year. I had seen Damon a couple times, but I was transferred closer to home ( I was commuting about an hour each way ). Last time I saw him he told me of the big plans. I never got a chance to check out the new facility, but I will very soon I hope! Damon is a great guy, and if you get a chance to see him - do it!

Pretty cool! Can you post any video of what the 3D stuff looks like before/after?

Ill see what i can do about posting before and after shots. I received a DVD that uses special 3D software to rendor the video. At the very least i can take a couple screen shots and posts them to show some of the cool features the system displays.

Setup before
setupbefore.png

Setup after

setupafter.png

Plane lines

planelines.png

Center of Balance

centerbalance.png

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Thanks for the kind words, Peter.

Peter is a good athlete with a good golf swing. Like many of us who were born ahead of the white belt era, with a family to support, and a career, looking after his flexibility is not at the top of the list of priorities.

His golf swing thus is shortish with a restricted hip turn, especially in his backswing. He does not however have issues with hitting plenty of very solid and powerful shots.

He occasionally backs under in his downswing and drags the hosel a bit far. Root cause? Hips at set up being too far to the right(from his perspective). Little hip movement going back combined with a good lateral move going forward means an already flat hand path and a shortish bswing causes the shaft to lay off and the club face to open, in a location that has little latitude.

So I got the set up to fit the swing. A couple of other things for him to manage his tendencies and there is no reason for him not to replicate or better his early season success.

dknc

New
Wow, that is awesome. My dad is a member at Lake Presidential so I'll have to stop by next time I'm in town. He was telling me about the incredible facility Damon was building. This sounds amazing. I'll have to schedule a visit soon!

Thanks. How cool is that?

Taylormade has on of this systems down at Reynold's Plantation, this might be the excuse I need to get down there.

Was it really necessary to brag with this screen shot...

Too funny. Just in case anyone else gets confused, i meant 'towards the golf ball"....not mine:D:D

Peter is a good athlete with a good golf swing. Like many of us who were born ahead of the white belt era, with a family to support, and a career, looking after his flexibility is not at the top of the list of priorities.

His golf swing thus is shortish with a restricted hip turn, especially in his backswing. He does not however have issues with hitting plenty of very solid and powerful shots.

He occasionally backs under in his downswing and drags the hosel a bit far. Root cause? Hips at set up being too far to the right(from his perspective). Little hip movement going back combined with a good lateral move going forward means an already flat hand path and a shortish bswing causes the shaft to lay off and the club face to open, in a location that has little latitude.

So I got the set up to fit the swing. A couple of other things for him to manage his tendencies and there is no reason for him not to replicate or better his early season success.

Need i say more, very succinct and descriptive, i have no doubt the suggestions will make lasting improvements.

I am headed up to see Damon on tomorrow morning. I was already excited to see the new technology in action - but this has just put me at code red.

Thanks for posting Peter.

Interesting Damon! Sounds in some ways his swing is similar to mine?? I have to get down there! Actually playing Renditions Sunday! Tried to play Prez last week, but it was still closed.

Damon, did you get the MATT system through TMP Labs or from Taylor Made? If you did in fact do a deal with TMP Labs, are you the registered fitter as well? Is there any difference between the TMP Labs version and the version that is available at The Kingdom? Thanks.

Damon -

How accurate is the attack angle calculation on your MATT system? I thought only Flightscope X2 or Trackman could properly calculate the attack angle.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Damon -

How accurate is the attack angle calculation on your MATT system? I thought only Flightscope X2 or Trackman could properly calculate the attack angle.

So far, so good, with the attack angle. I would say that the x2 would be slightly more accurate. I will be hooking up a LM to the MATT system shortly. The MATT works off of the six cameras, which work at 120 frames per second. It is intended primarily(from a club through impact standpoint) to get you deep into the ball park, at which point the Flightscope(or that orange thing, grin) takes over and gets you into the best fit.

Are you primarily using the MATT for teaching or fitting or both? I was on a MATT previously for a fitting/lesson. The fitting was fine and clubs were okay. The fitter really wasn't a teacher of the golfswing or the D plane.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Damon, did you get the MATT system through TMP Labs or from Taylor Made? If you did in fact do a deal with TMP Labs, are you the registered fitter as well? Is there any difference between the TMP Labs version and the version that is available at The Kingdom? Thanks.

Hi Dan,

My MATT system is housed in the newest Taylor Made Performance Lab at Lake Presidential, one of about 10 in the country. The TMPL website will soon be upgraded to indicate this. I am working closely with Taylor Made, who are implementing some more TMPLs in key markets around the country to provide better access for more people for the 'tour' experience.

I am the registered fitter, and have some pretty good counsel from a support staff at Lake Presidential, Taylor Made, of course Brian and the Academy instructors, and my own knowledge base.

I can't speak to all the TMPL sites around the country. I have had great experiences at the Kingdom, at Aviara, Reynolds Plantation, as well as a couple of other sites. My facility will develop into the equivalent of any quality fitting and instructional site in the country. It is already most of the way there.

For me, this concept has been in the works for several years. I have spent an immense amount of my spare time in the past 10 years studying every aspect of golf instruction, from the golf swing to putting, to fitness, to motor learning neuroscience, and obviously technology to help with the above. I found Brian and Geoff Mangum at around the same time about 8 years ago and have found it next to near impossible to find knowledge and instructional capabilities that are within earshot of them. The MATT system is outstanding(already) at aiding my communication and technical abilities, but moreover, it is even more beneficial for the golfer in terms of understanding what is required for the improvement, expediting the learning process significantly, and making it an extremely fun experience for any and all.

The MATT system is outstanding(already) at aiding my communication and technical abilities, but moreover, it is even more beneficial for the golfer in terms of understanding what is required for the improvement, expediting the learning process significantly, and making it an extremely fun experience for any and all.

Ill add to this comment. I had a feeling i was coming into the ball with my weight moving toward the ball (refer to the pic on center of balance) i.e on my toes. and certainly with video that was evident, but with the MATT system it really hit home as it showed how much i really moved toward the ball. Damon was then able to show on screen the direction i was headed vs a pro golfer, Graeme McDowell. So, from the point of view of a student, i think it aids in visually pointing out faults and just another tool to help the instructor communicate clearly.

Damon,

Thanks for the reply and good to hear your hard work is paying off. I may be in touch in the next couple months if you dont mind having a chat over the phone about the MATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.