Euro Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, I've read somewhere that a long and exhausting chess game are much more physically devastating for an organism than a soccer match.

Cheers
Yes, I think I remember once Gary Kasparov being stretchered away from the board with cramp and a busted ACL...
Do us a favour, Dariusz. Chess is great, but there's a reason why all chess players have IQ's in the 200's and soccer players have IQ's no higher than their shoe size...
Cheers

psychophysical huh, didn't see that word in the webster or cambridge dictionary. please cite sources that have been verified, rather than web sites that you are able to create entries for.

chess is not a physical activity, you can play it online...

Dariusz J.

Of all the posters on this site, who do you think does the most "worshiping" of a professional golfer?

The truth is, I hit just as many greens when I play as Hogan did. If I play two consecutive days on the same course, I usually land in my own divots. This may be hard to believe which is why I linked our stats for comparison.

Link to stats

No, the truth is that Hogan's "stats" were witnessed by many on many occasions, yours not.

Do us a favour, Dariusz. Chess is great, but there's a reason why all chess players have IQ's in the 200's and soccer players have IQ's no higher than their shoe size...

Well, some disciplines require bigger IQs, some better condition, some better visual perception, etc. When there's competition, there's sport.

psychophysical huh, didn't see that word in the webster or cambridge dictionary. please cite sources that have been verified, rather than web sites that you are able to create entries for.

chess is not a physical activity, you can play it online...

Google "is chess a sport" and read what others say. "Psychophysical" is a word used commonly in Polish, did not know there is not something like that in English. Saying otherwise - engaging physical and/or mental activity.
Is snooker a sport ? Curling ? Bridge ?

Cheers

No, the truth is that Hogan's "stats" were witnessed by many on many occasions, yours not.

Hold on there cowboy. The reason not as many have witnessed my stats is because I play on courses that grow 1930s style rough. From the gallery, you simply can't see over the rough onto the fairways (where I'm at).

Well, some disciplines require bigger IQs, some better condition, some better visual perception, etc. When there's competition, there's sport.

Google "is chess a sport" and read what others say. "Psychophysical" is a word used commonly in Polish, did not know there is not something like that in English. Saying otherwise - engaging physical and/or mental activity.
Is snooker a sport ? Curling ? Bridge ?
Cheers
Yes, snooker and curling require hand-eye coordination above and beyond. The hand-eye coordination of chess is no more difficult than passing the salt and pepper shakers. Doesn't demean it any way, of course. Still a great pastime and clash of wits, strategy and skill. Kinda like poker, I guess;)

I was referring to pychophysical NOT being in the definition defining what a sport is.

The physical ability to move a piece without tipping over your own king is what you're choosing to hang your hat on, really.

Dariusz J.

Hey Dariusz, I dont know if you've seen this before but I thought you might get a kick out of this. (Epescially after his win yesterday:) )

Clubs from the '80s bring round in 80s for Snedeker - USATODAY.com

Thanks, Nate, great article. Never put any attention to Snedeker -- but now he got my big respect. He has balls enough big to admit the awareness of a big difference between him (todays pros) and really great ballstrikers of yesteryear. And he was talking about clubs from the 80-ies only !!! Imagine what he'd say if someone gave him clubs from Hogan/Snead/Nelson era. I am not mentioning hickory because the technique was completely different.
A very interesting comment from Trevino as well -- but hey, what he knows anyhow, LOL. Bubba or Dustin would kill him down on a course with their games ROFL.

Cheers

Thanks, Nate, great article. Never put any attention to Snedeker -- but now he got my big respect. He has balls enough big to admit the awareness of a big difference between him (todays pros) and really great ballstrikers of yesteryear. And he was talking about clubs from the 80-ies only !!! Imagine what he'd say if someone gave him clubs from Hogan/Snead/Nelson era. I am not mentioning hickory because the technique was completely different.
A very interesting comment from Trevino as well -- but hey, what he knows anyhow, LOL. Bubba or Dustin would kill him down on a course with their games ROFL.

Cheers

*crickets*

dbl

New
Means silence. Usual meant as in opposition cannot reply due to no ammo, or something so shocking was said no one can dare say anything further, or a third option - that something was said so outlandish there is no point bothering refuting.

I'd guess saying that Trevino would get whomped by today's big hitters is objectionable.

Dariusz J.

Means silence. Usual meant as in opposition cannot reply due to no ammo, or something so shocking was said no one can dare say anything further, or a third option - that something was said so outlandish there is no point bothering refuting.

I'd guess saying that Trevino would get whomped by today's big hitters is objectionable.

Thank you, Dbl. Conkanen was so nice to explain it to me via PM.

BTW, questionable is very delicately said, mate :)

Cheers

Isn't a 4th explanation that the vast majority of posters now realise that Dariusz is so entrenched in his views that there is no point, value or even entertainment in trying to debate the point?

This argument has been running for years, on this forum and others, and no amount of stats, or lack of stats, or expertise, or research, or common sense has shifted D one inch in his views. For a while back there, I think he conceded that, for the handful of times that Hogan is reported to have played "the perfect round" of fairways and green - there were any number of other examples of other players with a record of doing the same thing.

Sadly, normal service has resumed and we're back to modern golf, and modern golfers being rubbish - not fit to replace the divots of anyone who played in sepia, or for whom a smoking drive just meant a ciggie clamped between their teeth whilst they played.

Part of the difficulty of this sort of argument is that (I think) there is less appreciation of the skills of those who were in their prime 30, 40, or 50 years ago if you never actually witnessed them play using the gear they did or played the stuff yourself. Small headed "woods" (even the first generation metal stuff) and POS balls that you had to take out of play after 4 holes because they'd go out of round. (How many serious players here remember carrying a "roundicator" in your bag just so you could check if your ball was still f'ing round?). I don't mean to say that you have to be 50 or 60 y/o to appreciate the players of the 60's and 70's or have a valid opinion of them, but I believe it provides a different perspective.

Believe me, I don't buy into the "current players suck" argument at all. I'm constantly amazed at what they can do with a golf ball and the absolutely sick distances they hit everything. I just remember how impressed I was when I saw Nicklaus play live for the first time in 1978 in Atlanta. I played college golf that same year and I was amazed at how far he could hit a balata ball with a persimmon driver... and straight! I just wasn't used to seeing that...... in fact I had NEVER seen it, yet now I play regularly with 6 handicappers who hit it as long as some of the longest drivers on tour..... and that is no exaggeration.

460 cc heads in my opinion make it way too easy for today's golfer to swing at the speeds they do and achieve the distances we see. Tour professionals today are talented as hell but I don't think the equipment "pushes" them as much as it should. You can still bomb it with a sub-300 cc head but the margin for error is going to go down. Even if they did nothing to the ball I think it would make the game more interesting and bring a few more of "precision" players back into the game if they really scaled back on driver head sizes.

Sorry if that sounds like a bit too much "good ole day" syndrome. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.