US Open at Olympic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 670 yard par 5 16 was ridiculous. First off I couldn't even come close to seeing the green from the tees. I was sitting at the "back" tees as DJ and Jimenez were coming to the tee, and I saw them make a right turn. I thought I had the perfect view for a video or picture but no, they proceeded to cross a cartpath, walk 50 more yards back, and park on the "real" back tee. DJ hit driver, what looked like a 3 iron, and then a wedge.

hp12c

New
670yds Wow! that is one long hole, I seems like a 700 par 5 may not be too away in the future.

Sorry I didn't have much of what you were looking for. Was more interested in watching their ball flights and sounds of impact.

No seriously. And yes, they were all hitting stock shots at least 30 yards high, every club, just like TrackMan says.

This might sound a little strange, but I went there more for a learning experience. I wanted to compare the ball striking from players who I personally think are good to these guys on tour. To be honest, it was very similar, or dare I say, the same. You really get the sense of just how much of a good head on your shoulders and short game/putting plays in discerning your club champion or whatever from these guys.

Last edited:
No seriously. And yes, they were all hitting stock shots at least 30 yards high, every club, just like TrackMan says.

This might sound a little strange, but I went there more for a learning experience. I wanted to compare the ball striking from players who I personally think are good to these guys on tour. To be honest, it was very similar, or dare I say, the same. You really get the sense of just how much of a good head on your shoulders and short game/putting plays in discerning your club champion or whatever from these guys.
The guys at your club must be really good, because these guys are beating club champions in general by 10, and club champions aren't breaking 80 on a US Open course. There is a lot more difference between these guys, than as you say "a good head on your shoulders and short game/putting".

Guys on the mini tour circuit, amateurs, D1 college players, etc. I'm talking guys who play off plus for actual tournaments. There are some really stellar players in my area. Hell, even Spencer Levin and Kevin Sutherland mess around at my home course. And they are playing skins with the people I am talking about.

I told you it was going to be a strange sounding statement, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
These are from Monday courtesy of Michael McLoughlin of The Sand Trap.

mondayatolypic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.