US Open at Olympic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dariusz J.

I do not see any penal rough on these pics, unfortunately. They said they would make the course in the spirit of old US Opens though...strange.

Cheers

To Brian or Dschultz...how severe are the sloping fairways that actually slope away from the dogleg? Will this be a big issue or is it being overblown on TGC? Also, is 13 gonna be a b!tch as Phil was describing in his presser?

ANd 1 more...Brian...who do you like this week? I need a pick for my US Open pool!

Just a heads up, I see the USGA website will be doing internet coverage of the Marquee group at 7:33 am PT, which happens to be Tiger, Phil and Bubba.......Also, what's the over under of how many times Johnny Miller mentions his 63 at Oakmont?

Last edited:
Wow...you were out there. I was actually going to go back to the course to find Ogilvy and Els, and I saw Levin's name there too. You must have been out there around 5 or so, right Brian?

I did not see people missing many fairways during practice unless they hit bad shots. I saw Baddeley stuff the pin on the 247 yard downhill par 3 to a tiny green. DJ was not hitting the ball all that well, for anyone interested in gambling. The person in control of their shots will win here.

I did not see people missing many fairways during practice unless they hit bad shots. I saw Baddeley stuff the pin on the 247 yard downhill par 3 to a tiny green. DJ was not hitting the ball all that well, for anyone interested in gambling. The person in control of their shots will win here.

how did Luke Donald look? :)

Just a heads up, I see the USGA website will be doing internet coverage of the Marquee group at 7:33 am PT, which happens to be Tiger, Phil and Bubba.......Also, what's the over under of how many times Johnny Miller mentions his 63 at Oakmont?
Johnny will get his boy Dan Hicks to mention it for him 16 times. I think Dan has a shrine to Johnny in his basement. Johnny will mention how much tougher Olympic was when he used to break par there as a 13 year old.

To Brian or Dschultz...how severe are the sloping fairways that actually slope away from the dogleg? Will this be a big issue or is it being overblown on TGC?

The slopes are definitely a factor given the firmness (and narrowness) of the fairways.

Johnny will get his boy Dan Hicks to mention it for him 16 times. I think Dan has a shrine to Johnny in his basement. Johnny will mention how much tougher Olympic was when he used to break par there as a 13 year old.

Johnny has been to Olympic once since the 1987 Open when he missed the cut (in 1997 when he played Jack in the Shells WWoG match). Previous to 1987 he hadn't been to Olympic since the mid-60's when he was a junior member. Yet he for sure be anointed the expert on the course.

Tickets to practice round - $50. US Open hat used to keep from burning during the second day of practice rounds - $32. Shaking Brian Manzella's hand - priceless. Honestly, the highlight of my two days at the open (Mon, Tue practice rounds) was calling out "Manzella" on the 9th fairway and having him unexpectedly taking time out from coaching Toms and coming over and shaking my hand. Very nice gesture. Thank you Brian.

Here are a few thoughts that I have after reading this thread:
Rough is not long now. Don't know if they will touch it the rest of the week so it may only get worse. It seems plenty penal given the narrowness and slope and firmness of the course.
There are a few holes where keeping the tee ball in the fairway will be very, very tough: 4, 5 come to mind. 9 is a bit less tough. 4 and 5 are getting close to being unfair: blind tee shots to sloping, doglegged fairways, where the slope is away from the dogleg. I saw a lot of tee balls bounce in the middle of the fairway and then trickle into the rough.
Tiger sure looks good. I've said this before: he can hit a lot of 3woods off the tee and that will surely help him. On the range his irons looked wonderful. Didn't see him putt.
Having been a member at Olympic many, many years ago I only have one word to say about the course: WOW. Some of these holes are now so long I just can't believe it. The game has changed. Related thought: how in the hell can these guys hit so many 3woods off the tees of these ridiculously long holes (eg. 498 par 4)? What happened to regulating how far the balls go or the clubs hit?
The 14 year old kid looks 24. I didn't even know it was him when I saw him. He looks like he'll be great someday.
I cannot believe how long these guys are or how well they hit the ball on the range. Glad I found another career.

That's all I have.

Tony I have been a golf member there for almost 30 years. I am glad that the 670 tee will disappear after the tournament, and I wish that that cascade of tees on #5 would vanish also.

Over/under for the week is 250. I've got the over.

Bubba couldn't even get his second shot near the green from the rough on his first hole. If Bubba can't hack it out to the green then I'd say the rough is plenty penal Dariusz!

Status
Not open for further replies.